Does this look okay?

  • 4857b7094c6f55eb2639bb2368dd49a8
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 8, 2014

      Only two weeks to go until we depart bonnie Scotland for the beautiful Sierras!  Very excited now...the advice and support has been very much appreciated.  If I could possibly call on folks one more time to look over our 'planned' (as much as anything can be) route...we decided against a section hike of the JMT, preferring to venture a little off the main drag...any thoughts about the route welcome, or tips on good camp spots, lakes etc to explore.  Not found a huge amount about our route online, which is a good thing actually as it feels a bit more like an adventure!  We thought it looked like a really good loop.  Little recap, we are both 40, in good physical shape, experienced hikers/scramblers and have trained pretty well, doing a couple 3/4 day trips with full packs up to 1000m ascents/descents and 15-18 mile days.  We feel we are as ready as anyone can be with exception of altitude exposure...I know its hit or miss and not down to physical fitness though.

      We will arrive Curry Village the day before and stay in a tent cabin/do a little afternoon exploring/collect permits etc

      Day One, Glacier Point (by bus) to Illouette Creek, direction Merced Lake, max 7 miles planned

      Day Two, On to Lower Ottoway Lake, another shortish day

      Day Three, Over Red Peak Pass first light and steady on towards Washburn Lake, long day but will adjust if needed

      Day Four, Towards Merced Lake and up to Vogelsang - planning to take Fletcher?  Camp ideas? We're flexible.

      Day Five, To Tuolumne Meadows, and then on to JMT - aim for Cathedral Lakes

      Day Six, Any route that gets us close to the Half Dome junction, open to suggestions - not decided yet

      Day Seven, Half Dome at sunrise (we have permits) and then descend to Happy Isles - exit.

      Using Harrisons maps -  we have kept it quite loose as don't want to overplan but this is the bones of it.

      I know its not strictly JMT but if anyone is familiar with this route and can offer their thoughts - very much appreciated.

      Lisa.

    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
        Looks okay, not particularly ambitious but pretty scenery all the way. Camp wherever you find a nice spot.

        Ken.
      • martin lisa
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
          Thank you for replying, appreciate your comment.  We are on holiday so taking it easy, wandering and soaking up the scenery is the plan.

        • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
            I did a similar loop last summer, only starting and ending at Tuolumne Meadows. My only recommendation would be to take the High Trail and stay above Washburn Lake. It would take you over Vogelsang Pass and then you could take the Ireland Creek trail into Lyell Canyon. The views are very nice on the higher route, and you would avoid having to re-climb much of your lost elevation to Washburn and Merced Lakes. Have a great hike!
          • martin lisa
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 12, 2014
              Thats a really interesting suggestion, thanks!  So, after descending from Red Peak to Triple Fork, we would take the trail heading south initially then swinging back up, passing Cony Crags and linking with Lewis Creek over Vogelsang?  Looking at our map I can see that might offer some really nice views of some of the peaks to the south east?  Are there good water sources along this trail and any suggestions of a good camp spot?  Really appreciate your input, thanks!

              On 11 August 2014 22:27, rnperky@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              I did a similar loop last summer, only starting and ending at Tuolumne Meadows. My only recommendation would be to take the High Trail and stay above Washburn Lake. It would take you over Vogelsang Pass and then you could take the Ireland Creek trail into Lyell Canyon. The views are very nice on the higher route, and you would avoid having to re-climb much of your lost elevation to Washburn and Merced Lakes. Have a great hike!

            • Kim Fishburn

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 12, 2014
                      Great camping around Triple Fork and The Lyell Fork of the Merced. There is a campspot on a ledge near the trail that is by a small waterfall that overlooks the Merced Drainage and Washburn Lake that is a fantastic spot. There are a few PUDS along the High Trail, but not too bad.
                    • dj_ayers
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2014
                        Post Peak Pass is a Mule supply route for the Merced drainage, so treat water below the Triple Peak Fork trail crossing -- I've seen the stock stop in the creek and take care of business.
                        Isberg Peak is not a hard climb from the Pass with a decent view.  There is a large campsite on the north side of the smaller Isberg Lake.
                        I found water to be lacking early August 2012 on the high trail between Isberg Lakes and Lyell Fork.  Be prepared to carry for that stretch or treat it from the small tarn west of the trail ~2 miles prior to the Lyell Fork.  The creek coming down from Foerster Peak was dry in 2012 and this year is even drier.
                        The high trail from Lyell Fork to Lewis Creek has spectacular views.  I found that the pesty Lyell Fork mosquitos congregate only right by the creek.  Good camp spots 50 yards NE of the creek were bug free.
                        IMO, the route up Lewis Creek is considerably more scenic than the trail up Fletcher Creek.  There is a camp spot or 2 at Florence Creek including a trail crew site back a ways NE of the creek crossing.  Bernice Lake is very scenic and has good camping if you have the legs for the short side trip.  There is easy x-country scrambling east and NE of Bernice Lake.  Simmons Peak can be bagged from there if you have the time and energy.
                        There are a couple of really nice camp spots at the east end of Fletcher Lake among the trees.  The short hike up to Townsley Lake is well worth it, there is a use trail starting at the east end of Fletcher.  There are camp sites among the clusters of trees along the east side of Evelyn Lake.  X-country wandering in this area is generally easy and rewarding, though scrambling up to view Ireland Lake is more challenging.
                      • martin lisa

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 13, 2014
                            Okay, plans changed to definately do this trail now - thanks for all the advice!!

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 13, 2014
                                The huge biting flies along Lyell Canyon a couple of weeks ago were enough to drive one insane. It's a pretty area but the flies have staked out ownership along it and demand blood tribute.Ken.
                              • martin lisa
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 13, 2014
                                  Yeesh...am used to the evil scottish midge but talk of these supersized beasties has me worried!  Maybe we will smell so bad they will leave us alone ;-))

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 13, 2014
                                    I assume the flies must have lost their sense of smell and attack slow moving hikers indiscriminately. Maybe if you can go really fast?On the other side of this subject, I don't ususally notice the smell of other hikers and presume they exercise the use of wet wipes daily and Gold Bond body powder - as I and many others do. There is a large body of information about hiking hygiene on this site, particularly with regard to cleaning oneself after depositing ones waste into the 6" deep hole you've dug. There is a lot more to hiking in the Sierras than just putting one foot in front of the other. Finding a private spot and pooping is one of the greater pleasures to be experienced, particularly when swatting off the aforesaid flies whilst you are doing it. ;-)Have a happy time. :-)Ken.
                                  • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 13, 2014
                                      We can all thank the horses and mules and their residue for those biting flies!
                                    • jyeider@ymail.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 13, 2014
                                        That will only attract them.I hate those things. They are flesh eating flying maggots. They leave tread
                                        marks. Once they bite they stick their butts in the air and chomp like a harvester. They make mozzies look like ladybugs..........
                                        Jeff