Why no Fresno Airport

  • ktrboston
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4 5:10 PM
      Hello all, new to the group. I am planning on doing a small section hike Yosemite to Mammoth over 7-8 days. I am coming from Boston and I had a question. Why does none of the guide books suggest flying into Fresno where its like 2 hrs away from Yosemite, were as SF, Oakland and Reno are like 3-4 hours away. My plan was fly into Fresno and rent a car. Drive my group to Yosemite set up camp. Drop off the car at Mammoth. Get ride back from the other group. We might have two group. One group that will do the section hike, the other hike around Yosemite. Fly home from Reno.

    • Bill Cathey
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4 8:39 PM
        I don't know, maybe because it's a smaller airport with less flights than the others mentioned? I flew in/out of Fresno my first trip to Yosemite. The curvy road going through the nat'l forest to the South entrance of Yosemite is a fun drive. I remember finding it interesting at the time reading that Fresno had the highest per capita rate of car theft in the country.

        bill

        On Aug 4, 2014, at 8:10 PM, "ktrboston@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hello all, new to the group. I am planning on doing a small section hike Yosemite to Mammoth over 7-8 days. I am coming from Boston and I had a question. Why does none of the guide books suggest flying into Fresno where its like 2 hrs away from Yosemite, were as SF, Oakland and Reno are like 3-4 hours away. My plan was fly into Fresno and rent a car. Drive my group to Yosemite set up camp. Drop off the car at Mammoth. Get ride back from the other group. We might have two group. One group that will do the section hike, the other hike around Yosemite. Fly home from Reno.

      • dj_ayers
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5 7:18 AM
          Merced airport often gets overlooked as well even though it is the closest airport and is a YARTs stop.
        • patzilch
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 5 7:20 AM
            I am flying into Merced and staying in Merced the night before I start due to no YARTS buses leaving when I land. Very convenient and was relatively cheap.
          • straw_marmot
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 5 8:04 AM
              Fresno has no easy public transportation to Yosemite that I'm aware of.

              I've flown into Fresno in the past for non-JMT Yosemite hiking trips, where I'm just renting a car and returning to Fresno at the end.    For that, I think it's ideal - it's a proper big city with an REI and a wide selection of restaurants and hotels.

              In the original post it sounded like you wanted to rent a car in Fresno and return the car to Mammoth - I'm not too sure why you want to do that, but any time I've looked into one-way rentals like that they are unreasonably  expensive.

              As mentioned, flying into Merced gives a connection onto a YARTS bus right at the airport.   Unlike Fresno, Merced is a small town with little to recommend it,  I wouldn't stop there even overnight unless you really need to.   It has most of the big chain hotels though, so you'll get a good standard of accommodation at a normal price.

              Note also that both Fresno and Merced are at sea level.

            • Peter Hirst
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 5 9:21 AM
                Yeah, and its official name is Fresno-Yosemite International.  Lotta nerve.

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 5 2:05 PM
                  Thanks for the replys.
                  Straw
                  We are planning on just doing a section hike and are just in the planning stages. Would rent a car in Fresno leave it a Mammoth then do the hike. Drive to Reno. its better than driving back to Fresno which is a 5hr drive.
                  Logistics are a bitch.
                  Like I said just in planning stages.
                • straw_marmot
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 5 3:40 PM
                    ktr, you know that you can fly into Mammoth, right?
                  • ktrboston
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 5 6:18 PM
                      Straw I didn't will have to do more digging thanks. I thought it was just a small local airport
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 5 6:52 PM
                        I think people don't mention alternate airports much because flying into SFO has such easy connections to the great Amtrak service to Yosemite (bus-train-bus all tightly linked to each other). Arrive on Day 1 and by the late afternoon of day 2 you are at the start of the JMT. (With  a redeye into SFO you might be able to do the whole thing on Day 1)

                        Most folks end their hikes at places where it is relatively easy to get back to the Valley and from the Valley back to SF on Amtrak.

                        SFO tends to have pretty competitive airfares because it is a major hub, particularly if you are willing to arrive on a redeye.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 5 7:03 PM
                          Alaska Air flies to Mammoth from LAX.   Good airline.   I live in NY, I like Delta JFK>LAX then Alaska Air LAX>MMH.   For some reason, I've always been able to get a better price for this booking the whole thing (including the Delta leg) via Alaska Air.    Alaska seems to have code sharing with several of the big airlines, so wherever you're coming from, check their prices for the whole trip.   Doesn't always show up on Expedia et al for some reason.

                        • berdomb
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 6 6:14 AM
                            Yosemite website includes Fresno. You have to satch an Amtrak bus off a street corner stop somewhere so its not as simple as other ways.

                            I used Bakersfield due to direct late night flight into there from houston and cheaper hotels than san francisco. Worked  great for me. Flew frequent flyer so wasn't concerned about ticket prices though.
                          • ktrboston
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 6 6:21 AM
                              Hi Straw, I just did hypothetical trip out of Mammoth putting in Sept 20 as date. Yes there are flights but major layovers. 15-24 hours.
                            • straw_marmot
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 6 9:22 AM
                                ktr

                                I can't help unless you tell me where you're coming from.

                                Are you looking at East Coast > LAX > MMH and returning same way?

                                Ralph
                              • ktrboston
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 7 5:03 PM
                                  Hi Ralph, sorry it was posted in my original msg. We will be flying out of Boston, Logan Airport. I am just in the planning stages of the trip. The plan was to fly out there around Mid Sept for appox 7 days may be more.
                                  Start in Yosemite.
                                  Hike to Little Yosemite
                                  Summit Half Dome
                                  Then hike to Mammoth
                                  Then Fly home.

                                   I was just seeing what options there are. Thank you for to you and everyone else for their comments and suggestions. Will have to look into all options.

                                  Thank you!
                                • groundhogsteve
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 11 4:50 PM
                                    ktr-

                                    As the resident transport geek, my apologies for not posting sooner on this thread- just got back this morning from a bailout at Road's End. Will post trip report later.

                                    Fresno isn't all that high on the viability list due to flight availability.  In your case, you would have to do a connection someplace, maybe even two, which increases the likelihood of plans going astray.

                                    For example, United has an early morning non-stop flight (usually the most reliable for on time performance during the summer) that departs BOS at 6:26 am, arrives SFO at 10:00 am - plenty of time to take BART to Richmond, walk the literal 46 steps (I counted, YMMV) from the BART Richmond station to the Amtrak Richmond Station to catch the 1:34 pm San Joaquin train to Merced, then the 5:30 pm YARTS bus from Merced Amtrak to the Valley.

                                    With Fresno, you'd have about the same or slightly more time to get from the airport to the train station (by city bus or cab) to end up on the same YARTS bus at Merced.  But you would have to take a connecting flight.

                                    For Merced, you would have to catch an earlier flight - make connections - and then have a 4 hour wait at  the exciting Merced Airport catch the same YARTS bus.

                                    If you'd like help figuring out the specifics, send me a private message
                                  • Brad Winer
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 11 5:04 PM
                                      I just flew into Merced. There is a nice little BBQ joint with good beer across the parking lot from the terminal. It was a fine place to spend that 4 hour wait for the YARTS bus. Great BBQ and the Dust Bowl Hops of Wrath IPA .....nice!

                                      Sent from my iPhone