UL Tents on the PCT

  • Luis Velasco
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014

      I intend to section hike a portion of the PCT in the off season before the snow returns to the Souther Calif area (Mexico to Idlewild).  I have a number of tents for backpacking with my family, base camping for both summer and winter; however, I’d like sub 2 lb. 1 person tent.

      I’ve researched the products and read many reviews, yet I’d like some first hand opinions from folks who have section hiked this area.   Anyone with this experience and or recommendations?

      Thanks in advance.

      • Luis
      • San Diego, CA
    • Edwardo Rodriguez

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
            Thanks for the response.

            Regarding…
            >>do you want a free standing tent or stake down and now much space are you going to need while inside your tent

            Yes, fortunately I have several REIs close by and have researched all the store and REI on-line offerings.  Consequently, I believe I need to lookout to the independent tent makers for a sub 2 lb tent.  A single walled cuben tarp is tempting; however, presently I’ll need to expand that skill.

            I visited the PCT kick-off last spring for a closer look at tents from Lightheart Gear, Tarptents and HMG.  Yet, at the time the idea of section hiking the PCT hadn’t hatched, so I wasn’t readily in the market—my loss.

            Conclusion: Steak down (trekking pole supported) minimalist with bug protection.

            Thanks again.

            - Luis

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
              One nice thing about tarptents is their being 60 miles from Sacramento along I-80, and having many things in stock.  Mountain Laurel Designs does good work, but sew everything to order, and so the turnaround can be anywhere from 1 to 10 weeks.

              On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Luis Velasco velascoluis@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Thanks for the response.

              Regarding…

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
                Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 has been great for me on several multi day trips. Lots of room, 2.7 lbs.  hurricane force winds a few weeks ago.

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
                  Well next year am planning on doing the PCT for the moment am not taken a tent but going to cowboy camp. In the back of my mind if I where to get a tent am looking at Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent one thing I found out while on the JMT this year is how I like to sleep. I like to be able to set up and move around. I like the door to be on the side not at the end of a tent. I have a gatewood cape and the net tent that goes with it. I like a free standing tent because there where spots where I had to use rocks to set up my cape.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014

                    Luis,

                    I've used the Fly Creek UL1 for about 3 years and I love it. I switched the stakes with Vargo titanium hooks and I've got it down to 2 lbs. (I don't use a foot print though)

                    As far as one man tents go, it's wider than most because it tapers wider from the back to the front. I've been through some relatively heavy rains and I've never had an issue with leaking.

                    There's a couple of negatives though:

                    There is not much head room. You have to do a little acrobatics to get dressed in it.
                    You have to enter from the front and then turn around.

                    Larry
                    Well next year am planning on doing the PCT for the moment am not taken a tent but going to cowboy camp. In the back of my mind if I where to get a tent am looking at Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent one thing I found out while on the JMT this year is how I like to sleep. I like to be able to set up and move around. I like the door to be on the side not at the end of a tent. I have a gatewood cape and the net tent that goes with it. I like a free standing tent because there where spots where I had to use rocks to set up my cape.

                    image

                    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent
                    Free Shipping - An ultralight, three-season shelter for one that weighs in at scant 1 lb. 10 oz., the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 tent grants protection from bugs and r...
                    Preview by Yahoo

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
                      Ed,

                      Regarding…
                      >> Well next year am planning on doing the PCT for the moment am not taken a tent but going to cowboy camp. In the back of my mind if I where to get a tent am looking at Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent one thing I found out while on the JMT this year is how I like to sleep. I like to be able to set up and move around. I like the door to be on the side not at the end of a tent. I have a gatewood cape and the net tent that goes with it. I like a free standing tent because there where spots where I had to use rocks to set up my cape.

                      I prefer the side openings as well.  I have both two BA models, Fly Creek UL3 (my daughter’s) and a Copper Spur UL2 (2 side doors).   I also enjoy the mobility of the free standing tent.  While waiting for our date to summit Whitney we changed camp sites a couple times; simply pulling the stakes and and walking with the tent was much easier than a full teardown.

                      - Luis

                    • john_friend
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
                        Tents are no doubt a very personal choice as they all involve a set of tradeoffs to get the ideal set of compromises between weight, size and features for you.

                        You mentioned Cuben Fiber.  I hiked the JMT last summer with the zpacks, Hexamid Solo Tarp tent with the extended beak and would highly recommend it.  Fully screened in, performed well even with 8 days of rain.  Weighs 1 lb all-in with ground cloth, lines, bag and stakes.

                        Possible downsides.  Requires staking or rocks to hold lines.  Requires a pole at a specific height (I used my adjustable hiking pole).  Good height in the middle, not so much height at the ends.  Takes some practice to set it up well for rain (but it's imminently learnable - I just had to learn the hard way in my first rain storm).  Not double walled so there will be condensation in some circumstances though it is well ventilated so condensation is less than some.

                        Upsides.  Very light.  Durable.  Quick to set up.  Keeps bugs out.  Keeps rain out, including runoff (ground cloth sides are raised).  Can be inside the tent in a rainstorm and cook with the stove under the beak.  Wider size available if you want your pack inside or sleep two people (I just put a garbage bag over my pack at night outside the tent).  Oh, did I say light - 1 lb for this good a tent is amazing.

                      • Luis Velasco
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
                          Larry,

                          Thanks.  I am leaning towards the Tarptent Contrail.  However, I think I will take my BA Copper Creek out for a few overnight shake downs.  I really enjoy the ventilation (I sleep warm).  I’ll keep my eyes open for a FC UL1, getting it down to 2 lbs would be workable.

                          - Luis

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
                            I agree.  I really like the folks at A16, their always helpful, have great special events and have bought several specialty items from them.

                            - Luis

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 4, 2014
                              Regarding…
                              >> Tents are no doubt a very personal choice as they all involve a set of tradeoffs to get the ideal set of compromises between weight, size and features for you.

                              Absolutely, I’ve been mulling over all the articles along with the tester’s perceived pros and cons.

                              You mentioned Cuben Fiber.  I hiked the JMT last summer with the zpacks, Hexamid Solo Tarp tent with the extended beak and would highly recommend it.

                              Yes, I’ve read a good deal about the Zpack tents as well as the HMG Mids.  I have a HMG Porter and can attest to the relative toughness and waterproof capability—as I’ve scrubbed and hosed it down with gear inside.  I’ve wondered if the Zpack cuben was as burly.

                              Tell me, during set up in a storm are you able to keep the inside dry?  I have a Hilleberg Nallo and if caught in a storm I can throw all the gear inside the tent and then set it up from the outside; it’s just a bear to carry at 6 lbs.

                                Keeps rain out, including runoff (ground cloth sides are raised).  Can be inside the tent in a rainstorm and cook with the stove under the beak.  Wider size available if you want your pack inside or sleep two people (I just put a garbage bag over my pack at night outside the tent).  Oh, did I say light - 1 lb for this good a tent is amazing.

                              Yes, I’ve been following an AT hiker, currently on the trail and using a Zpack Hexamid Duplex—interesting that the tent is practically see-through.  Still, 1 lb is nice.

                              - Luis

                            • mike david
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5, 2014
                                I have a Fly Creek UL1.  I have used it a 5 times. It is and is not free standing. You need two stakes at the foot area. I don't like the door at my head, but I deal with it. I sit down in it backwards and spin around. When I sit up in it my head is touching the top of the tent, I am 5' 11". No pockets or gear loft (sold separately). In the Grand Canyon it was windy and due to the single pole down the middle it blew the pole over a few times sitting it up. It was okay after I staked every guyout on the rain fly. I almost wished I bought the UL2 for more room at 3 more ounces.

                                Mike D.

                                From: "Edwardo Rodriguez edwardo.rodriguez53@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                Date: Monday, August 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM
                                To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                              • Barbara Karagosian
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 5, 2014
                                  The fly creek 1 has a pocket above your head , for headlight and little stuff.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 7, 2014
                                    Mike, and anyone else interested, we have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and footprint, which we've used only 9 days, and are thinking of moving to a UL3 for more room. It's in perfect condition. I'd sell it for half price. Email me at debrabrownbear@... offline if interested. Debra
                                  • medici95014
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014
                                      Debra:

                                      I also have the Fly Creek 2.  It's fine for a 1+ or a very cozy 2 (wife) and
                                      I kept it for those sorts of trips.  But it was too confining for 2 guys.

                                      So I checked out the Slater which was billed as a true 2-person tent.
                                      It's basically a big Fly Creek 2.

                                      Problems:  Only one door and you have to guy out the sides or it
                                      tends to sag inward.

                                      So bought the Copper Spur 2 and did a living room comparison of
                                      size & features (thanks, REI!).   2-doors and it doesn't have to be
                                      guyed out on the sides.  It has that top cross piece the
                                      a number of the BA tents have which makes the sides more
                                      vertical.  Much roomier with minimal weight penalty IIRC.
                                      I'm keeping the Copper Spur.

                                      Since you're buying a new tent anyway, you might want to check
                                      it out.

                                      Pete
                                    • rwilly001
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014
                                        FWIW, Backpacker has a quick comparison of UL tents seen at the Outdoor Retailer show:
                                        Backpacker Magazine - ORSM 14: Ultralight Tent Smackdown

                                      • Luis Velasco
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014
                                          Thank you for the information.  Yes, the BA FC Platinum is great tent.

                                          After quite a bit of research and pricing, yesterday I purchased an MLD Duomid with a dual bug net inner tent.  This tarp tent is well rated for wind, rain, snow, pitches quickly with or without the inner net and allows me to carry either the 1 lb tent or the full 2 lb setup (with net).  Nevertheless, it is a blind purchase as I never noticed the seller (MLD) at the PCT Zero days last spring at Moreno Lake, Ca.  Bottom line, it does shave off a few pounds in comparison to my BA FC UL2 and BA Copper Spur UL2.

                                          - Luis

                                          From: "rwilly001@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                          Date: Friday, August 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM
                                          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: UL Tents on the PCT

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014
                                            Pete, thanks! I came to the same conclusion, and just bought a Copper Spur today, and also sold my Fly Creek to a woman on the Ladies of the JMT site. So, all's well that ends well. Even for a cozy couple like us, the Fly Creek UL2 was a pain to get in and out of, especially for me having to get in and out in the middle of the night, and a real pain during rainstorms, as the vestibule is minuscule, and we had all of our gear piled up at the entrance. Great for nice weather or one person, though. I'm looking forward to the two doors on the Copper Spur, and feel like we are ready for the hideous weather we are expecting when we start our section hike next week. Debra