Merced lake vs Lake Cethedral

  • sainidvm
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2014

      This is first time for us to hike in the Yosemite NP. We have a permit to hike for 3 nights, leaving Happy Isles in second week of August. I need some inputs from folks who have hiked the area. We are unable to decide about our hiking plan to see the best areas. One route we were thinking was Happy Isle , LYV, Half dome to Merced lake and back in 3 nights. Other option we are considering is Hi, LYV ,Half dome to Lake Cathedral and go out to Tuolumne Meadow via GMT. Can you folks suggest which might be a better route for our 3 night hiking. We are group of 4 in our mid fifties and in good physical fitness. Thanks for your suggestion and inputs.

    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2014
        Does it help your decision knowing that there are flush toilets at Merced Lake?

        Larry
        This is first time for us to hike in the Yosemite NP. We have a permit to hike for 3 nights, leaving Happy Isles in second week of August. I need some inputs from folks who have hiked the area. We are unable to decide about our hiking plan to see the best areas. One route we were thinking was Happy Isle , LYV, Half dome to Merced lake and back in 3 nights. Other option we are considering is Hi, LYV ,Half dome to Lake Cathedral and go out to Tuolumne Meadow via GMT. Can you folks suggest which might be a better route for our 3 night hiking. We are group of 4 in our mid fifties and in good physical fitness. Thanks for your suggestion and inputs.

      • Kim Fishburn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2014
          Its very scenic going from Tuolumne Meadows to Volgelsang H.S. to Merced Lake H.S. and then Yosemite Valley. There are two routes from Voglesang to Merced. At the minimum do a day hike to the top of Voglesang Pass before continuing down the other route. The downhill will kill you, especially if you jump in your car as soon as you reach the valley and drive home. You'll be hurting for several days if you do. If you stay another night in Yosemite Valley and walk around you'll be better off.  My pictures of it start here, http://outhiking.com/ys12.html and continue to ys16, and picks up with the last half of http://outhiking.com/ys30.html to the end. I used to do this route at least once a year. At 8 miles a day you can do it in 3 days. You could spend a 3rd night at Little Yosemite Valley and do Half Dome the next day and then hike out.

          Kim

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2014
            Kim,
            Thanks a lot for your reply, but our permit states that we can enter through Happy Isles and first night has to be at LYV or beyond, and we have 3 nights. The hike you suggested is from TM to the Yosemite valley, but is it good to do other way around too ?
          • Peter Hirst
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2014
              You may want to double-check your reservation.   Yos does not issue permits giving the option of LYV or beyond.  Its usually LYV or "LYV Passthrough".  With the former, you can ONLY stay at LYV.  With the latter, you MUST stay well beyond LYV.  Second, you are NOT restricted to three nights.  When you actually pick up your permit at Yos, you may  specify any amount of time you want to spend.  They will also ask you for an exit trailhead.  You are NOT required to exit that trailhead.  Once you are on the trail, and have complied with whatever first night restrictions are on your permit , you can go wherever you like.  Enjoy.

              If your permit reservation for Happy Isles,  it is definitely NOT good for the other way around.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2014
                  Of your proposed options, Merced Lake is going to be shorter and easier, i.e. less climbing.  As an alternative, you may consider hiking over Clouds Rest towards Sunrise Lakes.  You can loop back toward LYV via the JMT or continue up toward Tenaya Lake and catch a bus back to the Valley.