What kind of jerky do you pack?

  • iamspecialized09
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2014

      I'm thinking the typical jerky sold in stores (Jack Links, etc.) can't be the best for you. Especially if you have to eat it every day for weeks. What are some reputable websites to purchase quality, healthy jerky? Preferably different types of meet too not just beef.

    • patton.preston@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2014
        I'm from the town that this smokehouse is in. I particularly like their dried beef, versus beef jerky. But all of their jerky meats are good. They're even having sale....

        New Braunfels Smokehouse - Hickory-Smoked Meats Since 1945

      • straw_marmot
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2014
          Oberto Teryaki Turkey Jerky
          is pretty good

          quite widely available, I don't know if you'd consider this a typical store jerky or not.   Tastes good though, and very tender.

          Incredibly smelly though once the packet is opened...  not recommended if you prefer dining alone...
        • cehauser1

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2014
              Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop California. The Indian strips is super dried beef tasty and very light for mass.Pair it cowboy and you've got the best two jerkys IMO.
              About $35 a lb.
              Jeff Yeider

            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2014
                Costco---Pacific Gold Jerky.

                Bob Shattuck

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 17:16:08 -0700
                Subject: [John Muir Trail] What kind of jerky do you pack?

                I'm thinking the typical jerky sold in stores (Jack Links, etc.) can't be the best for you. Especially if you have to eat it every day for weeks. What are some reputable websites to purchase quality, healthy jerky? Preferably different types of meet too not just beef.

              • Byron Nevins
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2014
                  Can't be the best for you?  I've left that concern behind.  I'm taking one trail bar per day.  And an assortment of 5 of:

                  potato chips
                  candy bars
                  cookies

                  In fact, I don't even think of my upcoming thru hike as a thru hike.  It is a candy and cookie eating trip.  The hiking is what lets me eat that stuff.

                  And I give no thought whatever of "good for me".  Don't forget -- "they" have a terrible track record.  In the 70's "they" told us to cut back radically on Fat.  Which we did.  Result?  Obesity epidemic!

                  Multiple billion dollar vitamin/supplement industry based on bull.  All evidence points to vitamins being somewhere between totally useless and a tiny bit lsess healthy than no vitamins at all.

                  Organic Food.  Very healthy!!  You know, the way humans have been creating food for all time other than the last 150 years.  The life spans back then must have been very long with all that organic food - right?

                  Eskimos eat pretty much a pure fat diet.  Reasonably healthy people.

                  Certain Africans eat an exclusive diet of cow blood.  Healthy.

                  My point is you can probably eat anything you want for 2 weeks.  It doesn't matter.

                  p.s the best Jerky is homemade, from ground beef.

                • dlink_95670
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 31, 2014
                    I recently saw bacon jerky at Costco. Was oh so tempted.
                  • berdomb
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2014
                      Just about every convenience store and Walmart has oberto bacon jerky. Regular precooked bacon is fine too, just greasy.