First-timer Planning for Sept 2015

  • jefftbarrett
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2014
      Greetings!

      My wife and I are beginning to plan for a 2015 JMT trip, beginning at Tuolumne Meadows. (We've hiked from Happy Isles to HD, LYV, and Cloud's Rest several times, and we don't mind skipping that part.)

      I'm sure we will have many questions in the coming months, but the first relates to the permit challenge. I've seen the official note about a "70% JMT Permit Rejection Rate" and read many tales of woe here in the group. That being said, for a Tuolomne-->Lyell start in the last few days of August or first few of September, 2015, should I anticipate most likely failing to get an advance reservation for a group of 4? (Our start date can probably be flexible within a period of a few days, but not weeks.)

      I've read the excellent advice here regarding alternative trailheads and maximizing walk-in odds, but I'm trying to determine how likely it is that we will need to resort to those approaches.

      Thank you!
      - Jeff
    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2014
         Jeff,

        I think the Lyle Canyon trailhead might be one of the easier permits to obtain.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2014
        Apply for a lot of alternate dates.  And consider HI or Glacier point or even Mono Meadow to Lyell through Vogelsang

        Peter Hirst
        Biochar Consulting and Operations

        New England Biochar LLC
        PO Box 390
        1100 Valley Ford Freestone Road
        Valley Ford CA 94972
        peter@...
        www.newenglandbiochar.org

        +1 650 804 0498

        Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2014
          Do I understand the process correctly that they notify you of success/failure 1-2 days later? So I should just submit a new application via FAX every day until I hear that one from a few days prior succeeded? I am assuming that I am limited to faxing one application per day, for a primary choice and two alternates.
        • cehauser1
          Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2014
            Jeff:

            Regarding the 70% rejection rate:  Perhaps my math is not right on, but I think a solo person would only need to apply for 3 or 4 alternate trail heads or alternate dates to have a great chance of getting at least one of your options.  However, having a group of 4 people will make it a bit more difficult.  Go for multiple trailheads and dates.  There's at least 3 good trail head options... if you applied for 3 or 4 dates, you have 9 or 12 chances.

            Chris.

            ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jefftbarrett@...> wrote :

            Do I understand the process correctly that they notify you of success/failure 1-2 days later? So I should just submit a new application via FAX every day until I hear that one from a few days prior succeeded? I am assuming that I am limited to faxing one application per day, for a primary choice and two alternates.
          • Inga Aksamit
            Message 6 of 10 , Jul 30, 2014
              That's correct. One fax per day with your 3 alternates per day. Fax the evening before per instructions on form. I chose Tuolume Meadows and got my first choice and heard back the same day, midday so only had to fax once.
            • Joe MacLeish

                Message 8 of 10 , Jul 30, 2014
                  For what it's worth, this year we applied for 4 permits for the Lyell Canyon trailhead with an entry date of August 12, and we were successful.  Based on this sample of one, I think you have cause for optimism!

                  Marian
                • marian21cohen
                  Message 9 of 10 , Jul 30, 2014
                    Sorry, I meant to say we applied for - and received - one permit for a party of 4 (not 4 permits.)
                  • jefftbarrett
                    Message 10 of 10 , Jul 30, 2014
                      Thanks, everyone, for the advice and encouragement!