Olive Oil Packets

  • iamspecialized09
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
      Thinking olive oil "packets" will be the lightest option but I can't find them in any local stores and online they are so expensive. Any luck else where?
    • Chip
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
        I've found small packets of numerous items at www.minimus.biz. I just checked the website and they do show olive oil packets.
      • MT
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
          I was able to get a dozen from my local Subway, you might want to try there.

          On Jul 27, 2014, at 1:02 AM, "iamspecialized09@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Thinking olive oil "packets" will be the lightest option but I can't find them in any local stores and online they are so expensive. Any luck else where?

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
            I think subway has them. Go buy a sandwich and grab some.

            On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM, MT mikeltran@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            I was able to get a dozen from my local Subway, you might want to try there.

            On Jul 27, 2014, at 1:02 AM, "iamspecialized09@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Thinking olive oil "packets" will be the lightest option but I can't find them in any local stores and online they are so expensive. Any luck else where?

          • es
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014

              I am going with a 14 ounce   jar of coconut oi (lhttp://www.walmart.com/ip/LouAna-100-Pure-Coconut-Oil-14-fl-oz/33282297)  that i bought at Walmart.  It is not at all Walmarts.  It is in my bucket at MTR.  The jar is plastic and the total weight is 14.5 ounces. It fits into my bear canister.  It give 3.5 servings of oil a day.  There is another option from a company called carrington farms, the coconut oil they sell is in liquid form all the time. The problem is the bottle will leak. You would need to repackage it into a smaller bottle.  For the first half of the JMT I am putting enough servings into a small gatorade bottle for the start, TM and RM and sending it that way.
              Thanks
              Eric

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
                    Seems like the packets would just be excess packaging. I use a 4 or 8 oz Nalgene jar or a 17 oz platypus bladder, depending on length of trip.

                    On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM, iamspecialized09@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Thinking olive oil "packets" will be the lightest option but I can't find them in any local stores and online they are so expensive. Any luck else where?

                  • robow8
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
                      Also, the Subway packets are mostly canola with some olive oil.
                    • Shawn Peterson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
                        John- excess packaging ??? Each packet without the contents weighs a negligible amount. I could see using a soft platy but if you were to ship your food/oil in portions then why carry a platy full of oil the whole trail?  Moreover a nalgene alone is heavier than the contents would be.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
                          Shawn -- I'm afraid I am passionate about packaging, so I can't resist an overly long reply.

                          >"if you were to ship your food/oil in portions then why carry a platy full of oil the whole trail?"

                          17 oz of olive oil for me is about what I need between resupplies. It would take 34 of the 0.5 oz packit gourmet packages (costing over $15) to carry the same amount. I suppose for me it isn't so much the packaging weight as all the mess of carrying out a bunch of mostly empty oily packages. But if you were to weigh 34 empty packages (esp. with the residual olive oil that will remain in them), I suspect it would outweigh the Platypus (empty, it weighs 18 grams or 0.6 oz).I expect the almost-empty little packages must weigh more than a 1/2 gram apiece and are way messier.

                          http://www.packitgourmet.com/MarconiOrganicExtraVirginOliveOil.html

                          I try to avoid a lot of resupplies (usually 10 days plus). For me, they interfere with feeling I am in the backcountry.  Many folks chose frequent resupplies. If so, smaller packaging clearly makes sense. Certainly for most folks (other than groups) will find 17 oz. is more than they could use. But with the low weight of the 17 oz. Platypus it makes sense even for folks carrying it way less than full.

                          > "a nalgene alone is heavier than the contents would be. "

                          My 4 oz Nalgene has a worse weight-to-contents ratio than the Platypus but it is 0.8 oz and holds (obviously) 4 oz. The Platypus holds 4 times as much at the same weight, but the Nalgene container is hardly heavier than the contents. (Manufacturer claimed it was 0.65 oz, but it is heavier on my scale). I find small reusable bottles very helpful and the Nalgene ones tend not to leak. The 8 oz Nalgene is intermediate in efficiency between the Platypus and the 4 oz.

                          Since a 17-oz Platypus is about the same weight as a 4-oz Nalgene, I tend to use it for fluids even on short trips. I usually carry Maple Syrup in another one -- to add to hot cereal or just take a snort of when I want a burst of energy. Maple syrup field-mixed with ghee is also a special treat.

                          I've found that having a bunch of reusable containers in a box in the basement allows me to bulk package a lot of stuff that other folks seem to carry in single-use packaging (if at all).

                          Your comment made me look at the packing list for the 5-day trip I start tomorrow. I find I am bringing the following packaging which has been recycled from prior trips and is used to repackage stuff into quantities or shapes that pack more effectively than the original packaging it is sold in

                          24-oz container full of Nutella -- my 10 year old hiking companion just about lives on the stuff and I like it for desert
                          12 oz Polypropylene (PP) jar as part of my cozy to steep food or keep a second serving hot until I am ready to eat it
                          about 10 oz of maple syrup in a 17-oz platypus - I easily can have 2 oz a day of the stuff
                          6 oz. PP jar (empty) to mix hummus in -- and carry it for lunch (make in the morning, eat at noon)
                          about 6 oz of olive oil in the other 17-oz Platypus (for field-mixed hummus, mostly)
                          8 oz PP jar of ghee (mostly added to hot cereal - some added to her mac and Cheese)
                          4 oz Nalgene jar of rendered duck fat (add to my curry-lentil and black bean soup)
                          2 oz jar of tahini (it perks up the taste of field-mixed hummus) -  jar was a spice jar, lid is Nalgene
                          1-oz Nalgene of salt (to make sure the salt stays dry)
                          1/2 oz PP jar of Lite Salt (source of potassium)
                          1/2 oz dropper jar of hot sauce (Siracha)

                          three 1/2 oz dropper bottles for Aqua Mira Parts A and B and the pre-mix I make every few days (I buy the AM in 2 oz bottles)

                          1.5 oz wide-mouth bottle for my sunscreen

                          1/2 oz Nalgene for "biodegradable" soap (though it's never more than 1/2 full)
                          1 oz Nalgene with tooth powder
                          2 oz Nalgene with medicated foot powder (a self-indulgence)

                          1/2 oz PP plastic jar for a topical corticosteroid (control skin inflammation)
                          1/2 oz PP plastic jar for an anti-fungal

                          All of them will get cleaned out when I get home and used again next year.
                          .
                          Note: Some of what I'm calling Nalgene are wide-mouth bottles made by Vestil - a bit cheaper. I use Nalgene for sure for things that might leak, Vestil when I don't need total leak protection.

                          About the only think I am carrying in original packets/containers seems to be

                          1) Neosporin in packets. And even that I'll frequently bring in one of the 1/2 oz PP jars.
                          2) Ultra-pasturized whole milk in 8-oz foil containers for my young friend's oatmeal and Mac and Cheese (but after opening, it is repackaged into a small Nalgene so it won't leak). I know I could make it from powdered milk, but I indulge her on this.
                          3) DEET

                          On my June trip (packed 13 days of food as I didn't want to resupply), I also used similar jars for duck confit packed in duck fat, homemade pesto, pork confit --- mostly bacon, some proscuitto -- in pork fat and probably other stuff I can't bring to mind.

                          In short, I think a good jar and bottle collection -- containers that you know you can rely on not to leak -- is a huge advantage in planning and gives you the freedom to bring things that aren't usually packaged well for backpacking. You also need to learn which ones can take boiling water (some will deform) and which ones can handle freezing temps (some will crack).

                          I suppose one other reason I like to bulk package as it gives me more control over the contents. I got my trail name from the fact that I will hike only with a good Sicilian Olive Oil and I don't think you could get it in single-use packaging. Also, with bulk packaging you can use what you want and not have the size of the package dictate amounts.

                          Most of this stuff came from USPlastic.com but I also just keep my eye out for re-usable containers. The little ones in hotels for shampoo are sometimes good for things like foot powder and sunscreen.

                          On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Shawn Peterson pdawg893@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          John- excess packaging ??? Each packet without the contents weighs a negligible amount. I could see using a soft platy but if you were to ship your food/oil in portions then why carry a platy full of oil the whole trail?  Moreover a nalgene alone is heavier than the contents would be.

                          On Jul 27, 2014, at 8:40 AM, "John Ladd johnladd@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Seems like the packets would just be excess packaging. I use a 4 or 8 oz Nalgene jar or a 17 oz platypus bladder, depending on length of trip.

                          On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM, iamspecialized09@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Thinking olive oil "packets" will be the lightest option but I can't find them in any local stores and online they are so expensive. Any luck else where?

                        • straw_marmot
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 27, 2014
                            I agree with John on the initial point.   Multiple very small sachets are not so efficient for things like oil and peanut butter.   Hard to get all the contents out, and the weight of the packaging plus residual adds up.   Does depend somewhat on what you're doing with the oil, though - if it's going into hot water prior to cooking your dinner in there, it's much easier to cut the sachet completely open and get 100% of it in there.