JMT Shortcuts

  • longritchie
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 19, 2014
      For the most part following the JMT is the fastest walking route between Yosemite and Whitney Portal. There are a few obvious shortcuts that are quicker:

      - Mist Trail
      - Hwy 120 in Tuolumne
      - Whitney Mountaineer's Route

      But are there others?
    • cehauser1
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 22, 2014
        John:

        Yes, it is more of a detour than a shortcut.

        That sounds like a nice loop.  Probably a popular one, as a couple of people I met a the hot spring were doing that loop, but you shouldn't see very many people until you reach the PCT/JMT.  I'd camp at the hot spring, so you can soak in the water and watch the sunset down the canyon.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <yahoo@...> wrote :

        Thanks for the Fish Creek trail description Chris.   It sounds like it does indeed have its own adventures and rewards and might make a nice route for something different on that segment of the JMT, though more for a different experience rather than a shortcut.

        I'm thinking that a really nice 3-day loop out of Red's Meadow would be to take the Fish Creek trail, camp somewhere along the creek, then make the loop up past the Tully turn-off to camp at either Lake Virginia or Purple Lake and then back to Reds.  This would be so much less crowded than many of the other directions that so many Reds/Mammoth hikers go.

        --John