Re: JMT / hikes this weekend

  • snow_nymph_2000
    Message 1 of 473 , Nov 12, 2001
      >Iva Bell Hotsprings<br>I've gone from the
      Postpile for an overnighter. Took a group from work on the
      Purple Lake to Postpile route two years
      ago.<br><br>Ended up hiking solo on the Red Lake Trail to Red Lake
      on Saturday. Beautiful area, unmaintained trail, and
      a long 4WD road (got lost) to get there. We saw
      part of the lake from Split Mtn (while on the JMT), so
      I wanted to see the rest of what was down there.
      Very pretty lake. Partially frozen, and 40 deg and
      windy, so I didn't stay long.<br><br>Sunday morning I
      awoke to snow on the Kearsarge Pass trail, with a
      rainbow over the Kearsarge Ridge to the North. Awesome
      way to wake up! Met Poppycock for breakfast in Lone
      Pine, then back to Onion Valley. Our destination was
      the Kearsarge Mines. Only got to a Prospect near
      Kearsarge Peak (had to drive back to Lone Pine, he left his
      boots in his car so we got a late start). Small patches
      of snow starting at 11K, got to about 11,500'.
      Windy, 30 deg, and didn't want to hike this trail in the
      dark so we headed back. Views were great from up
      there! <br><br>Umm, what's the Milford Track? Heard of
      all the others.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002