Last Minute August departure for JMT

  • Bobbie Surber
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 16, 2014
      I have a very late in the game chance to walk the JMT in August (yes, next month) I am thinking of trying for a walk in permit and starting at Red Meadows exiting at Whitney Portal. Walking alone.

      Need advice on correct place to get walk in permit. Curry Village? Flying into Mammoth.
      Would you recommend resupply at JM Ranch then hike out at Independence?

      Any help appreciated.
      Thank you,

      Bobbie
      Bobbie Surber - LEED AP
      Thank you,

      Bobbie
      Bobbie Surber - LEED AP
      928 203-6124

    • cehauser1
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 18, 2014
        Also, MTR is only about 1 mile off the JMT, while VVR is several miles off the trail.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <bobbiesurber2012@...> wrote :

        Good to know about MTR being a little further along. Will look into your suggestions. Thanks Ralph!
        Bobbie

        Thank you,

        Bobbie
        Bobbie Surber - LEED AP
        928 203-6124

        On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM, ralphbge@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        VVR is very close to the beginning of your hike.   MTR is a day or two further along.

        Given your rush, you might also consider Parchers Resort.    It's close to the midpoint between Red's and Whitney, and easily accssible by road from 395 (east side of the Sierras), so you could just drive there on your way to Mammoth and drop off your resupply bucket, rather than having to mail it almost immediately to reach VVR or MTR in time.    Drawback is that you have to hike off the JMT for a day or two via Bishop Pass to reach Parchers.

        Ralph