Fastest Known Time

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 85 , Jul 13, 2014

      For simplicity, let's just stick to the "unsupported" record - which has, I think, throughout history, always been a more impressive time than the concurrent "supported" record.  The times below are all from Whitney Summit to Happy Isles, NOBO.

      Prior to 2007, it appears that the record was over 5 days, held since the 1980s by Jim Rosendahl.

      Michael Popov did 4 days 5 hours 25 minutes in 2007.

      Brett Maune did 3 days 9 hours 58 minutes in 2009.

      Given that I went SOBO, with 10,500' net elevation gain rather than elevation loss, my time of 4 days 8 hours 43 minutes is roughly equivalent to Popov (perhaps even a little better).

      It's completely preposterous that I would have held the record prior to 2007, and possibly even until 2009, if I'd done this earlier in my life.   It's preposterous because I know for certain that I'm NOT even remotely close to being an elite athlete.   Frankly, I think that what this means is that all times before Maune's were just crap - basically nobody with any real talent had ever had the will or desire to try.  Maune pretty much said the same thing - he said he threw away the previous record holders' time sheets, because he believed the records could be annihilated.   Maune's time was greeted with some skepticism at the time, because he blew away the prior record by so much.   But I now have no doubt at all that his time makes perfect sense.  About a day faster is exactly where an elite athlete should be relative to me, I think.   But I think there's more to say:  Maune has also said that he thinks that his own current record can be annihilated, and I think he's right.   Maune is, presumably (almost by definition) in the elite class; but I doubt that he's world-class in terms of his pure physiology, or he'd be winning marathons or other more high profile stuff.   So if (for example) a world class 2-10 marathon runner decided to dedicate themselves to this record?    I think it drops below 3 days easily.   It's just that if you're a world class marathon runner, would you rather train for Olympic Gold or JMT FKT?   Erm...

      Ralph

    • longritchie
      Message 85 of 85 , Jul 28, 2014
        I took my drilled out quarter for a spin this past weekend. On the second night while closing the Bearikade the quarter twisted into an ugly broken mess. I pounded it out and filed it down using rocks and was able to continue using it, carefully. I guess I got a bit overzealous with the drilling.

        No matter. Once home I discovered that a Japanese 1 Yen coin has a very nice feel to it for opening a Bearikade. At 20mm diameter it is midway between a quarter (24mm) and a dime (18mm). But being made of 100% aluminum (or aluminium if you prefer) it weighs just 1.0 grams.

        I don't plan to drill it.