SOBO VVR back to JMT

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 75 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hit there,

      What's the easiest (on my body) way to get back on the JMT SOBO from VVR.
      The Harrison map cuts off the vital info. Is it best to get on the Bear
      Ridge Trail or the Bear Creek Trail? Which is longer, steeper, has water,
      is easiest to get to from VVR? Thanks so much - Barbara

    • bill cathey
      Message 75 of 75 , Jul 25, 2014
        I don't know how high the density of bears is in SNP, but, living in the area myself and having hiked there many times, I was disappointed for several years at not having encountered any there. I finally had my first sighting last year, followed by another one 5 minutes later, then a mother and cub shortly after that. So, I saw 4 bears just in the one hike, all within about 20 minutes. That was really exciting.

        bill

        On Jul 25, 2014, at 5:28 PM, "ravi@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Shenandoah National Park, where the black bear density is very high, also permits the use of spray although I cannot imagine why anyone would feel the need to use it.  All of the bears that I've seen are more timid than deer.  After hiking the JMT without a bear sighting, I had a bear encounter at Shenandoah at few weeks later and another one in April.  Both times the bears ran as soon as they detected my presence.