Delorme Inreach experience

  • Lynn Alexander
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 11, 2014
      We were doing a 50+ mile loop in North East Yosemite last week when I got knocked over and broke my ankle. We were in Matterhorn canyon (one of the most beautiful places in the sierra I have even seen) about 25 miles from the trailhead. I initiated the SOS function and immediately began 2 way texting with Emergency Response services. It took several back and forth texts for them to understand the gravity of the situation (some of their texts included: "Can you get support from another hiker and limp out? Can we send crutches so you can walk out? Could you ride a horse out if we send one in?" After I described how I couldn't put any weight at all on that foot, and I was 25 miles and 2 high passes from the nearest trailhead they said they were sending a helicopter. They also asked me for medical history, medications and physical description. Once they said the helicopter was on it's way they asked me to make myself visible and asked what the helicopter should look for. My husband spread out our blue tarp and I told them to look for that. The helicopter arrived within 2 hours of my 1st call, and spotted us immediately. It took another 20 minutes for them to find a place to land, and they had to carry me by stretcher across the creek.

      The YOSAR EMT crew were great, and they told me several times how very helpful it was to be able to get this constant stream of information, and to be able to get all of their questions answered. I just bought the Delorme Inreach SE about 2 months ago after taking a wilderness !st class. For the entire 16 hours of the class the instruction was: "stabilize the patient, and call for help to evacuate." I realized I didn't have a way to call for help so I bought the Inreach. I am so glad I did, I might still be up in Matterhorn canyon without the Inreach.
      Sadly this ends my JMT hopes for this year, I hope I can make it in 2015.
    • Bill Heiser
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 20, 2014
      Actually what I sent before was a snapshot of what you, as the device owner, can filter on your own view of the map page.

      Here's a snapshot of what you can configure for your "mapshare" page (which you make available to "your people")

      July 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM

      Yes, here's a snapshot of the filter options.  You can also filter by date/time (for example to only show map entries as of the start date of your trip).

      You can also change what shows on Mapshare, for example, only tracking pints and not where you are when you send messages (I think.)

      OnJul 20, 2014, at 10:10 AM, Kenneth.Meyer@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

      Theguy at Delorme confirmed what earhear said.  Unlimited recipients for preset messages.

      I pretty much followed the approach earhear outlined for his presets.  I did modify my 'starting' preset to say '...or recording a new way point.'  In some cases I wanted to record my position when taking a photo or staring at the sky (I don't carry a smart phone.)

      On last fine point...

      A few messages back mike mentioned that you couldn't add a 'mapshare' message to 'quick text.'   I didn't try that, but I know that if you're actively tracking, the way points appear on the mapshare page.  In fact all outgoing messages appear as way points on the map share page.  i.e. I don't believe it's necessary to include a mapshare as a recipient on a quick message.

      July 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM

      The guy at Delorme confirmed what earhear said.  Unlimited recipients for preset messages.

      I pretty much followed the approach earhear outlined for his presets.  I did modify my 'starting' preset to say '...or recording a new way point.'  In some cases I wanted to record my position when taking a photo or staring at the sky (I don't carry a smart phone.)

      On last fine point...

      A few messages back mike mentioned that you couldn't add a 'mapshare' message to 'quick text.'   I didn't try that, but I know that if you're actively tracking, the way points appear on the mapshare page.  In fact all outgoing messages appear as way points on the map share page.  i.e. I don't believe it's necessary to include a mapshare as a recipient on a quick message.

      July 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM

      Preset messages not counted as a message. Preset messages are unlimited in all plans. My hiking partner and I were on a dress rehearsal in Ansel Adams over the 4th and I kept to the "Safety Plan" under a month-to-month Freedom Plan ($14.95). I used the three messages as follows:

      - "Leaving camp for new location or day hike. Do not reply unless urgent" sent to a group in the morning.
      - "Here is my current location, all is well. Do not reply..." sent out at POIs during the day
      - "Camping here for the night. Do not reply..."

      Itworked well and I never used my allotment of messages. I used RunKeeper app on the iPhone for a record of our route, timing, pace etc.

      I do think that this set up could suffice for many on the JMT but I will upgrade to the Expedition Plan ($64.95) for the time we are on the JMT.

      ear

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <barbara@...> wrote :

      Good points.  However, if you use a Preset message to a bunch of recipients, is this not counted as one message rather than a bunch of separate ones?

      Good points.  However, if you use a Preset message to a bunch of recipients, is this not counted as one message rather than a bunch of separate ones?

      On Jul 19, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Kenneth.Meyer@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

      Here'sa couple others bits about inReach that might be of interest.

      InReachallows you to send a two-way messages to a recipient list.  However, Delorme treats each recipient as a separate message.  i.e., If you send a single two-way message and include 2 recipients, you'll be charged for 2 messages.  If you include 3, you'll be charged for 3 messages. etc.  I did not see this in the plan description.  If you want to notify a recipient list, the most economical way is to share on facebook or twitter and only be charged for a single message.

      If you choose the safety plan (~$15/mo) and you use the tracking function, you will be charged $0.10 for each tracking point.  I found that that it adds up pretty quick.  In my case, the tracking info is appreciated back home, so I'm bumping up to the "Recreation" plan for the rest of the season.

      July 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM