Bears

  • tiffrowe00
    Message 1 of 75 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hi All,

      I don't have much experience with bear canisters and all practices to keep the bears away. Any tips would be appreciated.

      Are bear bags good to have? I was thinking of keeping trash in a bear bag.
      Does anyone recommend a good environment-friendly soap? I assume that scented soap is a no no.
      At night do we need to keep our bear canisters away from our site or up in a tree as well?
      Should we bring bear mace spray?

      Some friends who did JMT a couple years back never saw any bears. They also carried baking soda for all their cleaning, seems like to much extra weight to me.

      Thanks!!
    • bill cathey
      Message 75 of 75 , Jul 25, 2014
        I don't know how high the density of bears is in SNP, but, living in the area myself and having hiked there many times, I was disappointed for several years at not having encountered any there. I finally had my first sighting last year, followed by another one 5 minutes later, then a mother and cub shortly after that. So, I saw 4 bears just in the one hike, all within about 20 minutes. That was really exciting.

        bill

        On Jul 25, 2014, at 5:28 PM, "ravi@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Shenandoah National Park, where the black bear density is very high, also permits the use of spray although I cannot imagine why anyone would feel the need to use it.  All of the bears that I've seen are more timid than deer.  After hiking the JMT without a bear sighting, I had a bear encounter at Shenandoah at few weeks later and another one in April.  Both times the bears ran as soon as they detected my presence.