re: rope length for river crossing

  • David Neumann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 8:03 AM
      I hiked the JMT in July 2005 during a very high snow year. Someone had
      placed a rope across Bear Creek which was helpful but not necessary.
      Evolution is no issue if you cross further up the valley versus the "old"
      crossing which has become a little tricky if the water is high. Getting the
      rope across the river could be more dangerous than not having one and I
      would suggest leaving the rope at home. It is far safer to use hiking poles
      or a large stick to brace yourself against the flow than try to use a rope.
      If you do use a rope, never tie yourself to it. Have a great hike.