Faster and lighter

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 5, 2014

      Starting SOBO from Happy Isles on Monday morning (7/7), aiming for 5 days 12 hours.  I decided to post beforehand, as maybe it will give me an extra psychological push to put it in writing...   but I'm only giving myself about a 30% chance of making it, I think.

      I know I can maintain a 2.2 mph average for 12 hours a day (including short breaks), so it's "just" a question of pushing that to 16 hours a day to make 35 miles.   Conditions are uniquely perfect at the moment, with the snow almost gone, but still 16 hours of daylight.   And the moon is perfect next week, too, almost full moon rising just before sunset.

      Self-imposed rules are:

      Unsupported (no resupply; that includes no ice cream at Tuolumne)

      Legal (with a bear canister)

      Starting Happy Isles 7/7 at 5:30am

      Aiming to get 5-6 hours sleep a night if all goes well, except the last night, when I'll need to push on to make Whitney Summit by 5:30 pm.  (Haven't quite figured out what I do after that, on Whitney summit at 5:30pm with no food left, but hey, what could possibly go wrong?)

      Base weight 9.5lb (including bear canister)

      5500 calories/day (total 17.5lb food)

      I'll put up a kit and food list later.

      Ralph

    • longritchie
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 14, 2014
        "All of this might add up to a sub-4-day if everything went perfectly, I suppose."

        Four days is 96 hours, minus the walking time of 80 hours leaves you roughly 5 hours per "night". That's not that horrible I suppose.

        I looked with interest at your gear list. Shelter and sleeping and clothes were all very light items well tailored to a summer JMT fast trip. But I was surprised to see about 1.5 lbs of items that I personally wouldn't carry. The stove was one of those.

        I also found it interesting that you consumed about the same amount of total food that I did (25 Mcal). I would surmise that a difference of a day or two wouldn't affect this that much since basal metabolic needs are only about 2 kcal/day.