RE: [John Muir Trail] Day 1 & 2 Itenerary

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 2009
      if you're only carrying a 10 or 15 pound pack and you're (young) fit, you can pretty much burn up the mist trail, which will save you a mile or more and certainly work the legs a bit��but no problem. once you top out at the mist junction then it's easy to get to little yosemite and then up to the half dome junction. And again, with such a light pack, why not just nail half dome on day one . . . come down and head for clouds rest, which by then would be a nice diversion, but a long day. Again, as mentioned by others, get an early start��the better to avoid the crowds and the heat. once you get past the half dome junction, the people will vanish. there's nothing official, but the merced lake junction is a nice area to pitch for the night, or assuming you're making good time, head up the switch-backs and once you hit the plateau and sunrise meadow comes into view, camp there. again, there are no designated camps, but there's plenty of flat spots, NO WATER and no bears, really. all the bears are down, waiting to terrorize the folks in sunrise camp. Again, once you pass the half dome junction, you'll hit a few streams, but last year, a few or the few, were dried up and dead, so fill up when you have the chance, carry as much as you can and drink as much as you can.bob

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: romanryder@...
      Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:12:35 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Day 1 & 2 Itenerary

      I have a through pass from Happy Isles and I'm staying at the Cloud's Rest junction my first night. I've never been to Yosemite, so I'm trying to figure out a plan for my first couple of days. I was thinking of hitting the Mist Trail (saw I could either stay on it to the top of the falls or rejoin the JMT sooner...recommendations?) and then doing Clouds Rest the first day. Then get up the next morning and do Half Dome early. Would I be best off leaving my campsite set up, so I don't have to stash my pack at Half Dome? Any suggestions on where to camp the second night? Speaking of camping, once I'm out of the valley, can I pretty much camp wherever I want (outside of meadows of course LOL)?

    • Bob Bridges
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2009
        Howdy Romanryder,

        We did the north half of the JMT SOBO in Sept 06, and we chose the Mist Trail (mostly for the scenery) up to a great campsite right off the junction of the Half Dome Trail. No water there, but there was a spring off to the left of the trail shortly after starting up towards Half Dome the next morning. Got up to the top and down before the big daily flood of tourons. For us, (50-ish, with about 35-40lb packs), day 1 was a piece of cake, but day 2 (over Half Dome and on to Sunrise Camp) hit us pretty hard in the pm.

        If you've got some time to kill and believe in that whole "1 picture = 1000 words" drill, our slide show is online (sorry - doesn't work with Macs). It includes several pix from the Mist Trail hike and a quickie of the aforementioned campsite. Best if you've got the sound cranked, and select "full screen" from the right mouse menu after starting the show (it will install a Presenter software module if you haven't seen a Proshow before). The URL's are:

        http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2816644&alb=0
        (Northern half of JMT - 20 minutes), and

        http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=3051246&alb=0
        (Southern half - 10 minutes)

        Whichever way you decide, you're in for a majestic hike. Savor the ride and feel free to E us if you've got other questions.

        Bob & Coleen

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "romanryder" <romanryder@...> wrote:

        > I have a through pass from Happy Isles and I'm staying at the Cloud's Rest junction my first night. I've never been to Yosemite, so I'm trying to figure out a plan for my first couple of days. I was thinking of hitting the Mist Trail (saw I could either stay on it to the top of the falls or rejoin the JMT sooner...recommendations?) and then doing Clouds Rest the first day. Then get up the next morning and do Half Dome early. Would I be best off leaving my campsite set up, so I don't have to stash my pack at Half Dome? Any suggestions on where to camp the second night? Speaking of camping, once I'm out of the valley, can I pretty much camp wherever I want (outside of meadows of course LOL)?

      • The Cisco Kid
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2009
          O thanks for sharing ,I'm all pump up now....august is a  long way now....

          thx

          RichardC"I'm in the Mountains, not over the Hill".

          We did the north half of the JMT SOBO in Sept 06, and we chose the Mist Trail (mostly for the scenery) up to a great campsite right off the junction of the Half Dome Trail. No water there, but there was a spring off to the left of the trail shortly after starting up towards Half Dome the next morning. Got up to the top and down before the big daily flood of tourons. For us, (50-ish, with about 35-40lb packs), day 1 was a piece of cake, but day 2 (over Half Dome and on to Sunrise Camp) hit us pretty hard in the pm.

          If you've got some time to kill and believe in that whole "1 picture = 1000 words" drill, our slide show is online (sorry - doesn't work with Macs). It includes several pix from the Mist Trail hike and a quickie of the aforementioned campsite. Best if you've got the sound cranked, and select "full screen" from the right mouse menu after starting the show (it will install a Presenter software module if you haven't seen a Proshow before). The URL's are:

          http://www.photodex .com/sharing/ viewshow. html?fl=2816644& alb=0

          (Northern half of JMT - 20 minutes), and

          http://www.photodex .com/sharing/ viewshow. html?fl=3051246& alb=0

          (Southern half - 10 minutes)

          Whichever way you decide, you're in for a majestic hike. Savor the ride and feel free to E us if you've got other questions.

          Bob & Coleen

          --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "romanryder" <romanryder@ ...> wrote:

          > I have a through pass from Happy Isles and I'm staying at the Cloud's Rest junction my first night. I've never been to Yosemite, so I'm trying to figure out a plan for my first couple of days. I was thinking of hitting the Mist Trail (saw I could either stay on it to the top of the falls or rejoin the JMT sooner...recommenda tions?) and then doing Clouds Rest the first day. Then get up the next morning and do Half Dome early. Would I be best off leaving my campsite set up, so I don't have to stash my pack at Half Dome? Any suggestions on where to camp the second night? Speaking of camping, once I'm out of the valley, can I pretty much camp wherever I want (outside of meadows of course LOL)?

        • Steve Schauer
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2009
            The mist trail is granite steps, whereas the JMT is an easier grade. We stayed at the campsite you mentioned, at the jct of Cloud's Rest trail and JMT. Very nice campsites, and a little creek right there.The next day we  did Half Dome, stayed one more night, and hit the trail for Sunrise camp the next day.
            From: Bob Bridges <rpuentes@yahoo. com>

            To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

            Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 11:50 AM

            Howdy Romanryder,

            We did the north half of the JMT SOBO in Sept 06, and we chose the Mist Trail (mostly for the scenery) up to a great campsite right off the junction of the Half Dome Trail. No water there, but there was a spring off to the left of the trail shortly after starting up towards Half Dome the next morning. Got up to the top and down before the big daily flood of tourons. For us, (50-ish, with about 35-40lb packs), day 1 was a piece of cake, but day 2 (over Half Dome and on to Sunrise Camp) hit us pretty hard in the pm.

            If you've got some time to kill and believe in that whole "1 picture = 1000 words" drill, our slide show is online (sorry - doesn't work with Macs). It includes several pix from the Mist Trail hike and a quickie of the aforementioned campsite. Best if you've got the sound cranked, and select "full screen" from the right mouse menu after starting the show (it will install a Presenter software module if you haven't seen a Proshow before). The URL's are:

            http://www.photodex .com/sharing/ viewshow. html?fl=2816644& alb=0

            (Northern half of JMT - 20 minutes), and

            http://www.photodex .com/sharing/ viewshow. html?fl=3051246& alb=0

            (Southern half - 10 minutes)

            Whichever way you decide, you're in for a majestic hike. Savor the ride and feel free to E us if you've got other questions.

            Bob & Coleen

            --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "romanryder" <romanryder@ ...> wrote:

            > I have a through pass from Happy Isles and I'm staying at the Cloud's Rest junction my first night. I've never been to Yosemite, so I'm trying to figure out a plan for my first couple of days. I was thinking of hitting the Mist Trail (saw I could either stay on it to the top of the falls or rejoin the JMT sooner...recommenda tions?) and then doing Clouds Rest the first day. Then get up the next morning and do Half Dome early. Would I be best off leaving my campsite set up, so I don't have to stash my pack at Half Dome? Any suggestions on where to camp the second night? Speaking of camping, once I'm out of the valley, can I pretty much camp wherever I want (outside of meadows of course LOL)?

          • Sam
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30, 2009
              I just remembered an excellent camp site near the junction of the JMT and the trail that leads to half dome. Once you pass the HD junction start looking to your right and slightly down hill. With 100 yards or so there is a great spot. Flat with a great view of a canyon.