Reintroduce Grizzly Bears?

  • mvslamo
    Message 1 of 60 , Jun 30, 2014

      There is a push to reintroduce the grizzly bear to the Sierras.  The JMT would be ground zero if this becomes reality.  I understand all the pro arguments but as a hiker I would really prefer there not be any grizzly bears around.  Maybe this is something as a community we should be discussing and maybe taking a position?

      Here is a link to a recent article:

      http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/06/20/new-move-bring-back-grizzly-bear-california

      Sorry if this has already been discussed - I couldn't get the search function to work

      Sam

    • Dave Park
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 31, 2014

        On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:00 PM, ralphbge@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        I also think "Nature first - humans second" doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

        Particularly if you consider that humans and bears were introduced to the Americas *at the same time*.... Bears crossed the land bridge with the humans 50,000 years ago. There were no bears here before then. They, like us, are an invasive species.

        Dave