public transport from LAX

  • realdealsinc
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014

      Hi, I am starting my JMT this Saturday flying into Mammoth Lakes on Friday.  I feel like I need a plan B in case the flight cancels or I'm late for a flight.  Does anyone know the possibilities of getting from LAX to Mammoth on a Friday evening  using public transportation getting to Mammoth before my permit would be cancelled on Saturday?  Is it possible? practical? thanks for any help    jim

    • berdomb
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
        If you are starting the JMT on Saturday you would pick your permit up on Friday.
        If you start on Sunday, you would pick your permit up on Sat.
        Which is it?

        One YARTS bus per day to Yosemite valley, and it wont get you there till 12:05 pm.  You need to pick up your permit by 11am, UNLESS you call and have them hold it for late pickup.

        If you are starting at Tuolumne Meadows, then 3 buses  per day can get you there.  Possibly a Yosemite bus could get you to the Valley too from there.

        In all cases, it might be wise to have them hold your permit for late pickup if you need to pick it up on Saturday.

      • Jim Seamans
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
          I am flying on Friday and starting Saturday from Reds'.  My original (and current )plan is to get the permit at opening Saturday.  The backup transportation I am looking for involves getting from LAX to Mammoth overnight if necessary by public transport.  I don,t think I could get a one way car rental from LAX to Mammoth.  thank you
        • Deborah Rhoton
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
            Have you checked into flying into Mammoth?

            Deb

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 30, 2014, at 7:42 PM, "Jim Seamans jmseamans@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            I am flying on Friday and starting Saturday from Reds'.  My original (and current )plan is to get the permit at opening Saturday.  The backup transportation I am looking for involves getting from LAX to Mammoth overnight if necessary by public transport.  I don,t think I could get a one way car rental from LAX to Mammoth.  thank you

          • groundhogsteve
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
              There's only one flight per day to Mammoth, and it's in the late afternoon.

              If you are at LAX early enough, you could take the Antelope Express to Lancaster, then ESTA to Mammoth, but then you would have to wait until morning to take YARTS into TM.

              Antelope http://antelopeexpress.com/Schedule.htm

              ESTA:  http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/395-routes

              YARTS: http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2014/HWY%20120%20-%20Mono_.jpg

              The other option would be to fly using Great Lakes Aviation LAX to Merced, take YARTS to the Valley, then take YARTS to TM Saturday morning.

              As stated by others, you'll have to call to have your permit held.

              If you need help figuring it out, send me a private email.  I'm kind of a transit geek that likes to figure these things out.
            • Lynn Alexander

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014

                  Very difficult. You would have to get to Union Station in downtown LA, take the metro train to Lancaster, and then pick up the returning ESTA bus going to mammoth, which I believe leaves Lancaster early afternoon. Check their website for exact times.

                  Tim

                • Paul Fretheim
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                    There are no public transit options between Friday noon and the next Monday. You have to take the train from LA to Lancaster and there is a bus from the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority that runs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday only and leaves Lancaster around 4:00 p.m. So you have to catch a train by around noon to be sure of getting to Lancaster in time to catch the bus.

                    You could hire a shuttle service like mine, East Side Sierra Shuttle, but it's $400 from Lancaster to Independence and another $400 on top of that to get to Yosemite Valley, and I could not do that in one day anyway, it's too far and would involve more hours of driving in a 24 hour period than is legal for a commercial driver to drive.

                    For those who were concerned that I was operating without some sort of permit you can relax, I am now "operating under permit from the Inyo National Forest" as a Wilderness Guide/Cab Driver, which is the Congressionally mandated title for the service I offer.

                    I now have the insurance the Federal Government and the Forest Service require. It's called a "General Liability" policy that names the U.S. Government as "additional insured." Basically it is insurance that guarantees that it will pay for the U.S. Government's defense attorneys up to $1,000,000 to defend the government if you sue them for anything a permittee, such as East Side Sierra Shuttle may do.

                    Which I find ironic.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                      The short version is that if you miss your plane, fly standby on the next one. It is your only choice.

                      Don't miss your flight.

                      On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM, jmseamans@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      Hi, I am starting my JMT this Saturday flying into Mammoth Lakes on Friday.  I feel like I need a plan B in case the flight cancels or I'm late for a flight.  Does anyone know the possibilities of getting from LAX to Mammoth on a Friday evening  using public transportation getting to Mammoth before my permit would be cancelled on Saturday?  Is it possible? practical? thanks for any help    jim

                    • ej_y4
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014

                        "Very difficult. You would have to get to Union Station in downtown LA, take the metro train to Lancaster, and then pick up the returning ESTA bus going to mammoth, which I believe leaves Lancaster early afternoon. Check their website for exact times.

                        Tim"

                        To get to LA Union Station, you need to get on the Flyaway bus to LA Union Station ($8). There is no easy way to make the trip out of Los Angeles....

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                          Elizabeth Wenk actually details how to do the JMT from LA, something we have not documented in our files or links section.  When I reviewed her 5th edition book, I was pleasantly surprised to see she covers the logistics for doing this.

                          _