REQUESTING TRIP/ROUTE ADVICE JMT/HST Thank You

  • david Slater
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2014

       toosun on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:19 pm

      I pasted this from the Yahoo High Sierra Group.
      Hope I not being too much a nob.
      Promise to share my "tips and tactics" this fall.

      My Epic Adventure.......

      What level of backpacking experience do you have?
             -Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel
      What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
            - Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
      What is your main interest?
            - Lakes- Forests- Big Mountain scenery- Photography- Fishing
      How many days/nights is your trip,
           - (26/25)
      How many miles did you want to do a day,
           -10 or more any layovers? no

      Rough Itinerary (# Nights)

      A) White Wolf Lodge, August 27

      1 TM- Lyell Fork
      2 to Garnet Lake
      3 to Red's Meadow
      4 to Purple lake
      5 Mono Creek
      6 Marie Lake
      7 Sallie Keyes Lake

      8 Re-supply MTR/Hot Springs

      9 Aspen Meadow
      10 Evolution Lake
      11 Helen Lake
      12 Little Pete Meadow
      13 Palisades Lakes
      14 Lake Marjorie
      15 South Fork Trail
      16 Sixty Lakes Basin Trail

      17 Re-supply Onion Valley

      18 Center Basin Trail
      19 Wallace Creek
      20 Whitney Night/Day Hike Wallace Creek
      21 On Kern River
      22 In Cloud Canyon
      23 Roaring River
      24 In Dead man's Canyon
      25 Bearpaw Meadow

      B) Out at Crescent Meadows September 22nd.

      55 years old, 55lb Pack, Solo, Just completed 70.3 Ironman, Kona.

    • Peter Hirst
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2014
        Ok:  I have put in some notes on your itin in bold

        But let's start with this:

        55 years old,  kudos.  especially in having your Dad for your resup.

        55lb Pack, Solo  re-engineer this:  you can and should knock 15-20 bs off this.  I kick it pretty old school and still manage 42 lb max after MTR.

        Just completed 70.3 Ironman, Kona.  Don't know what the 70.3 refers to (km?) but "Ironman and Kona resonate".  I'm thinkig 15 miles per day would be ok with you at elevation (JMT is at 9500 avg)

        A) White Wolf Lodge, August 27  Great start.  If you are coming from sea level, or below 5000 ft, look into Diamox

        1 TM- Lyell Fork Cakewalk: look at Lyell bridge at least, preferably Lyell Headwaters Lakes.
        2 to Garnet Lake Right on:  north shore only, don;t be tempted to go any farther, unless you feel like climbing some more. There is one good spot 500 feet above south shore.
        3 to Red's Meadow: Right on.
        4 to Purple lake If you leave Red's early.  It's a push .
        5 Mono Creek  Another push
        6 Marie Lake This is  13 mi from Mono Creek.  In between,  Bear Ridge is 2500+- of  dry but shaded swithchbacks.  Good news is, if you get over it, its a stroll up to upper BC Meadow, and easy from there to MTR the next day. Don;t push for Marie: MTR is easy from Upper Bear Creek.
        7 Sallie Keyes Lake This is only a couple of miles from Marie Lake and a couple more from MTR.  You should either add a day between Red's and Selden Pass ,  subtract a day from Selden to MTR, or both .  Marie Lake to MTR is a short putt.  Lunch at Sallie Keyes will be plenty, you'll still it the hot springs for sunset.  Glorious. Pay no attention to the trespass warnings.

        8 Re-supply MTR/Hot Springs  Get to MTR as early in the day as possible, resup and GTF out: they kick you out at 5.  No beer . No shower.  No crapper, even.

        9 Aspen Meadow  Never heard of it.  Evo Meadow.  McLure Meadow.  Get as far above the San Joaquin crossing as you can first day out of  MTR.  Evo is incredible.  If there  is anywhere you want to slow down, it is between the Evo crossing  above San Joaquin and Muir Pass.
        10 Evolution Lake Oh yeah.  But you will probably get here early in the day:  hang out, but it gets better as you go higher:  Sapphire lake,  Evo Basin, Wanda Lake.
        11 Helen Lake  Not unless you dig quarries.  This is just below Muir and a short stroll from Little Pete,  you will lose a day if you stop here.
        12 Little Pete Meadow Oh yeah.
        13 Palisades Lakes Yep
        14 Lake Marjorie Yep
        15 South Fork Trail  I assume you mean Wood Creek here.  This is only 9 miles from Marjorie, and in the canyon bottom.  I would push  up toward Rae Lakes from here.  Dollar or Arrowhead at least.
        16 Sixty Lakes Basin Trail  OK, here's one I know really well: it sucks. Fuggetaboudit.   Great fishing spot between upper and lower Rae Lakes,  but  whoever recommends camping here . . never mind.   Climb a mile or so beyond  the trail junction, which is just about at treeline, and there are some beautiful, true alpine benches with plenty of water (last August),  above that are worth the little extra effort

        17 Re-supply Onion Valley 14 mi round trip, and Dad is there. Priceless.  With a couple cold ones, historic.

        18 Center Basin Trail : you may want to get a little higher than this.  The Kearsarge pass return to the JMT is only 7 mi, and Forester is 1000 higher than anything to the north. Like Glen, there are some really nice benches a mile or so higher up that give a much better early AM shot at Forester.
        19 Wallace Creek If you are going to tag Whitney you need to get at least  to Crabtree, preferably to Guitar lake.
        20 Whitney Night/Day Hike Wallace Creek  This is a long mf round trip .  RT from Guitar is more usual.
        21 On Kern River downhill to Junction meadow, you will probably want to get as high up Kern Kaweah as you can, for Colby the next day.
        22 In Cloud Canyon  : not a straight downhill from Colby to Cloud
        23 Roaring River: Alt from here would be to Lodgepole.
        24 In Dead man's Canyon Long uphill to Elizabeth Pass then down to HST.
        25 Bearpaw Meadow you are still a day away from Crescent and a day over 24.

        B) Out at Crescent Meadows September 22nd.

        For me, this adds up nicely except for tagging Whitney. if you can make up a day or two here and there, and lose nothing to weather, it is all possible.  If you pull all this off, I want to know about it.  This is one awesome kick ass 24 day intinerary.

      • Carolsteveyoung
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2014
          The general fitness you have from IronMan training is awesome for you. Be careful of foot and knee problems from heavy pack up and DOWN rocky trails.

          I was 57 last time out, it's different over 50. All recovery is more gradual.( I am big proponent of rest day early in the trip when pack is heaviest and you are acclimating to altitude. Coming from Midwest flatland)
          have a great hike!

          Steve Young
          Geneva IL

        • dj_ayers
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2014
            I'm not sure I'm reading your itinerary correctly, but it looks to me like you are planning to go from White Wolf via Pate Valley all the way to the Lyell Fork in one day.  WW to TM is ~29 miles plus you'll need to go at least 4 more up Lyell for a legal campsite.  You'll also drop to from WW at ~7,900 to ~4,300 feet at Pate Valley and need to climb (gradually) about 4,500 up to your Lyell Campsite.  That's at least 33 miles on your first day with 55 lbs and serious elevation changes!

            That sounds incredibly ambitious to me with that pack weight, even for a half-Ironman stud.  I wish you all the OMS in the world!
          • dj_ayers
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2014
              I'm a bit puzzled by some of the other daily distances also.  Marie to MTR is about 9 mi, so why spend a night at Sallie Keys in between?  MTR to Aspen Meadows is only ~5 mi.  Helen to Little Pete is only ~5 mi.

              Personally, I prefer more consistent daily mileages, you may want to consider that.
            • Larry Beck
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2014
                I can understand stopping at Sallie Keys Lakes :)
                I once saw a guy there carrying the biggest trout I've ever seen in the Sierras!

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2014
                  Thanks to all for input. I'll be looking over the suggestions and taking in the advice to make this trip the best ever! My mom is driving me to the TM trail head and Dad is picking me up in CM.  Still driving me around after all these years...

                  On Monday, June 30, 2014 9:24 AM, "djayers@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  I'm not sure I'm reading your itinerary correctly, but it looks to me like you are planning to go from White Wolf via Pate Valley all the way to the Lyell Fork in one day.  WW to TM is ~29 miles plus you'll need to go at least 4 more up Lyell for a legal campsite.  You'll also drop to from WW at ~7,900 to ~4,300 feet at Pate Valley and need to climb (gradually) about 4,500 up to your Lyell Campsite.  That's at least 33 miles on your first day with 55 lbs and serious elevation changes!

                  That sounds incredibly ambitious to me with that pack weight, even for a half-Ironman stud.  I wish you all the OMS in the world!

                • Arla Hile