Fitness level readiness

  • mm03g
    Message 1 of 16 , May 28, 2009
      Hi,

      It's been a long time since I was backpacking however, I've been training for the Death Ride (http://deathride.com) since Feb. When that ride ends in mid-July should I expect to be in reasonably adequate shape to start hiking the JMT two weeks later? I'm 5'8, 160 male.

      Thanks, Mark
    • Peter Klein
      Message 2 of 16 , May 28, 2009
        Mark:

        You should be fine if you allow yourself a few easier days starting out to
        adapt to the trail
        and a pack.

        I've been cycling in CA as my primary sport for 20 years, including a few
        Death Rides,
        and never bother to train for backpacking, including the JMT and TYT.

        Pete

        Message 3 of 16 , May 29, 2009
          I agree that you'll be in fine cardiovascular shape. You might think of
          breaking in your feet (and your boots) by doing some walking in your boots.
          I hiked 150 miles last summer with several college-age athletes who were in
          great cardio shape. But their customary footwear was flip-flops and they
          had terrible blister problems on the trail. They assumed that wearing trail
          shoes would minimize the problem, compared to boots, but it didn't. (They
          compounded the problem by poor foot hygiene.)

          Altitude adjustment could be a problem, though the JMT is fairly forgiving
          in that regard. If you don't have prior experience sleeping above 10k feet,
          or had altitude sickness problems in your earlier life above 10k, you might
          consider planning your trip so that you acclimate either before the trip
          (several days at altitude before leaving) or on the trip (planning your trip
          so each night's campsite is not more than 1000 ft above the prior night's).

          John

          On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:45 PM, mm03g <mgmarabeti@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > It's been a long time since I was backpacking however, I've been training
          > for the Death Ride (http://deathride.com) since Feb. When that ride ends
          > in mid-July should I expect to be in reasonably adequate shape to start
          > hiking the JMT two weeks later? I'm 5'8, 160 male.
          >
          > Thanks, Mark

          San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 16 , May 29, 2009
            I never worry much about regimented training; I climb at the gym a few times a week, ride the bike to the gym and walk most everywhere, nothing more. Whatever you do, you might still get your ass kicked that first day out of the valley���something about your body and your mind suddenly wrapping it all together and realizing what you're about to undertake makes it a bear, not to mention, your pack . . . if you've not been backpacking in a while, you will hopefully spend a little time brushing the dust off your pack and getting your shoulders used to the idea of that extra weight, but that should be no big deal if you're doing the death ride. you ought to be fine. nice thing though about starting in the valley��if you're dead by T'me . . . you can always bail.

            sparklefart.blogspot.com

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: mgmarabeti@...
            Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 05:45:24 +0000
            Subject: [John Muir Trail] Fitness level readiness

            Message 5 of 16 , May 29, 2009
              Love the Death Ride. Hard, but absolutely beautiful!

              You should be in good physical shape, but agree with the comments of others
              to do some walking to train up feet and calves. I think cycling is an
              excellent way to train for backpacking, but there is nothing better than
              hiking to train for hiking.

              When preparing for a long hike, I try to walk/hike 25-30 miles a week for
              two months before the hike, in addition to whatever cycling I am doing.
              That gets my feet ready and works the muscles that get missed cycling.
              Also, find some stairs and do an hour a week just going up and down--that
              seems to hit muscles that are not normally stressed by other exercise.
              Finally, put some time in carrying the pack with your anticpated start
              weight. That helps train the upper body and work out pack adjustment issues.

              When you headed out? We start at HI on 7/22.

              Message 6 of 16 , May 30, 2009
                Another thought (I was the guy who suggested wearing boots).

                I used to swim (hard) for most of the year, and hike occasionally in the
                summer. In recent years, I've hiked a lot and switched my day-to-day
                exercise to walking San Francisco hills with weight. The swimming left me
                in good cardio shape but contributed little to anything else.

                Biking is probably way better trail training than swimming, but some things
                I've noticed since I changed my exercise pattern might have some
                implications for you.

                I was always in good shape, could keep going a long way each day and pretty
                good on the uphills as long as I didn't try to carry too much weight. But,
                since changing my exercise pattern, I find that my accessory muscles are
                much stronger. I used to be prone to ankle and knee twisting. I'd be more
                likely to trip and more likely to hurt myself when I did trip or stumble.

                In contrast to my younger but less-specifically-trained self, I find I get
                fewer injuries and I am much more sure footed, which makes me confident
                enough to move much faster on the downhills. Since almost half the JMT is
                downhill, it's a significant difference.

                So if you were to supplement your biking with some trail-specific exercise,
                you might try to strengthen the muscles that maintain hip, knee and ankle
                stability on terrain. Squeezing a ball between your knees should strengthen
                internal rotation at the hip (and knee?). Wrapping a band around the knees
                and spreading them against this resistance should help external rotation.
                The old trick of writing the alphabet with your toes should strengthen the
                ankle muscles. There are probably sites online that would give you better
                ideas.

                John

                On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:45 PM, mm03g <mgmarabeti@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > It's been a long time since I was backpacking however, I've been training
                > for the Death Ride (http://deathride.com) since Feb. When that ride ends
                > in mid-July should I expect to be in reasonably adequate shape to start
                > hiking the JMT two weeks later? I'm 5'8, 160 male.
                >
                > Thanks, Mark

                San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

              • michele sky
                Message 7 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                  as I heard it never (almost) rains in the Sierra, I'm thinkng about not carring a tent: the biggest problem, for me, are mosquitos!
                  how can you protect your face while sleeping in the sleeping bag? is it comfortable to wear a head-net while sleeping?? some bites are ok, after sometimes you don't feel mosquitos any more, but when there are clouds of blood-sucking insects around your face, things change...
                  thank you!

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                    I carry a tent, but often don't use it.

                    It helps to wake up a bit before sunrise. My worst mosquito times in the
                    Sierras have been just after sunrise, so it helps to have clothes and DEET
                    on by then.

                    Most nights the mosquitoes have disappeared by the time it's dark and don't
                    reappear until after sunrise.

                    But mosquitoes don't like me much, so maybe that's why I don't have a
                    problem.

                    If you like to sleep in, and use a sleeping bag liner, I suggest you get
                    some Permethrin and treat the liner before you leave (at least the top 1/3
                    of it). You could also get light weight head covering like a balaclava and
                    treat it with Permethrin. Both should be at REI.

                    http://www.rei.com/product/751264
                    http://www.rei.com/product/725892

                    On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM, michele sky <ecomike77@...> wrote:

                    > as I heard it never (almost) rains in the Sierra, I'm thinkng about not
                    > carring a tent: the biggest problem, for me, are mosquitos!
                    > how can you protect your face while sleeping in the sleeping bag? is it
                    > comfortable to wear a head-net while sleeping?? some bites are ok, after
                    > sometimes you don't feel mosquitos any more, but when there are clouds of
                    > blood-sucking insects around your face, things change...
                    > thank you!

                    San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                    415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                      On May 31, 2009 4:21am, michele sky <ecomike77@...> wrote:

                      > as I heard it never (almost) rains in the Sierra, I'm thinkng about not
                      > carring a tent: the biggest problem, for me, are mosquitos!

                      Please bring a tarp at least. It sometimes rains all night.

                      > how can you protect your face while sleeping in the sleeping bag? is it
                      > comfortable to wear a head-net while sleeping??

                      I sleep fine with a head net. In fact sometimes on a cool night when I
                      don't want to cinch up my mummy bag I'll use the headnet to keep my head a
                      bit warmer.

                      The headnet may drape against your skin. I suggest treating it with
                      permethrin.

                      Jim
                      JMT 2008

                    • robert shattuck
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                        "as I heard it never (almost) rains in the Sierra," . . . Ahhh . . . but there's nothing like it when it does rain, especially when it choose to go all night and toss in a little thunder and lightning and maybe your tent won't keep you one hundred percent dry, but beats getting soaked . . . and as for mosquitos . . . if you're going out any time before late August, well . . . good luck. A tent is a nice little world to crawl into after a long day. you can relax without having to fight off bugs all night, or wake up with a few extra bites on you face. bob

                        sparklefart.blogspot.com

                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                        From: ecomike77@...
                        Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 04:21:35 -0700
                        Subject: [John Muir Trail] if you don't bring a tent: mosquito problem?

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                          After dark you will not get bitten. Usually the skeets are lying low
                          after it gets dark.

                          On May 31, 2009, at 4:21 AM, michele sky wrote:

                          > as I heard it never (almost) rains in the Sierra, I'm thinkng about
                          > not carring a tent: the biggest problem, for me, are mosquitos!
                          > how can you protect your face while sleeping in the sleeping bag? is
                          > it comfortable to wear a head-net while sleeping?? some bites are
                          > ok, after sometimes you don't feel mosquitos any more, but when
                          > there are clouds of blood-sucking insects around your face, things
                          > change...
                          > thank you!

                        • Randy Forsland
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                            Here is a tip...If you are going to go without a tent (or even if you use a tent) ..make sure that you dig your cat-hole the night before...A head net won't protect the other parts that are exposed..

                            From: ecomike77@yahoo. com

                            Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 04:21:35 -0700

                            as I heard it never (almost) rains in the Sierra, I'm thinkng about not carring a tent: the biggest problem, for me, are mosquitos!

                            how can you protect your face while sleeping in the sleeping bag? is it comfortable to wear a head-net while sleeping?? some bites are ok, after sometimes you don't feel mosquitos any more, but when there are clouds of blood-sucking insects around your face, things change...

                            thank you!

                            Hotmail® goes with you.

                            http://windowslive. com/Tutorial/ Hotmail/Mobile? ocid=TXT_ TAGLM_WL_ HM_Tutorial_ Mobile1_052009

                          • michele sky
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                              ok: a tarp tent would be all right.
                              but i can't find any here, do you know if i can buy one  at REI in san francisco? i tried to buy one at tarptent.com but i couldn't pay with a credit card.
                              cheers

                              ________________________________
                              > as I heard it never (almost) rains in the Sierra, I'm thinkng about not
                              > carring a tent: the biggest problem, for me, are mosquitos!

                              Please bring a tarp at least. It sometimes rains all night.

                              > how can you protect your face while sleeping in the sleeping bag? is it
                              > comfortable to wear a head-net while sleeping??

                              I sleep fine with a head net. In fact sometimes on a cool night when I
                              don't want to cinch up my mummy bag I'll use the headnet to keep my head a
                              bit warmer.

                              The headnet may drape against your skin. I suggest treating it with
                              permethrin.

                              Jim
                              JMT 2008

                            • Ken
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                                I am not aware of anywhere to buy a Tarptent with the exception of the website. I bought mine last year and they even sent it to TX, where I was at the time, even thought my credit card payment had a CA address. I know that REI does not carry the Tarptent, but you may be able to get an used one off of Ebay. Good luck finding one.

                                Ken

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 31, 2009
                                  Here's a similar product, though not the Tarptent itself.

                                  http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/integral-designs-sil-tarp-2.html

                                  On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Ken <nekeel@...> wrote:

                                  > I am not aware of anywhere to buy a Tarptent with the exception of the
                                  > website. I bought mine last year and they even sent it to TX, where I was at
                                  > the time, even thought my credit card payment had a CA address. I know that
                                  > REI does not carry the Tarptent, but you may be able to get an used one off
                                  > of Ebay. Good luck finding one.
                                  >
                                  > Ken
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                  San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                                  415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

                                • Sam Rohlfs
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 1, 2009
                                    I usually go late (AUG) and usually below 10,000ft so mosquitos have not
                                    been a problem. I do have a Bughut from REI which is just a bug screen.
                                    Only weighs a pound or less. You still need a tarp because it has no
                                    floor. If the buggers love you, you might consider leaving just your rain
                                    fly at home. Again, I would hate for you to take my advice and end up
                                    miserable. I have spent the night with clouds around my face (not in
                                    Yosemite) and that suck to no end.

                                    Good luck I'm sure you will have a great time. The Sierras in the
                                    summer...the best place on earth.