Mailing fuel

  • abearson
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 23, 2014
      Are there restrictions on mailing fuel? I want to include gas for my Jetboil in resupply packages, but then thought this might not be allowed because it is, well, flammable. Thank you for any advice.
      Adam
    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 23, 2014
        This is a good resource on the regulations associated with mailing fuel:

        http://www.gottawalk.com/planning/57-2/

        But I don't think that it is necessary or desirable to mail fuel canisters when the resupply locations along the JMT sell canister fuel and partially used canisters are often available in hiker boxes.
      • LEBRUN
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 23, 2014
          Adam,

          Check this link out:  http://www.gottawalk.com/planning/57-2/

          Bruce

          On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM, abearson@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Are there restrictions on mailing fuel? I want to include gas for my Jetboil in resupply packages, but then thought this might not be allowed because it is, well, flammable. Thank you for any advice.

          Adam

        • Mike Bakewell

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 18, 2014
                  Is there really a need to mail canister fuel to resupply places on the JMT?  I purchased fuel at Red's Meadow Resort and Muir Trail Ranch.  Both had large supplies on hand.  I've read that VVR carries canisters as well.  Before leaving on my hike, I verified fuel availability at my resupply stops.  I suppose that there is a very small chance that a store could sell out but that seems remote and there are always hiker barrels with partially full canisters.  The difficulty with the USPS is that even though mailing fuel is legal when following all the restrictions, it probably happens so infrequently that a one hour argument/debate at the post office may be inevitable before they finally accept a package.
                • groundhogsteve
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 18, 2014
                    I just did my resupply mailings, and I just confidently walked up to the counter, said "This is an ORM-D,so it has to go ground."  When asked what it was, I explained "little metal backpacking stove fuel cartridges"

                    "OK, we'll put the no-fly stickers on it."

                    And that was that.  No problems, no arguments.

                    [An ORM-D is a consumer quantity of hazardous material, which should be marked on the sides of the box "ORM-D"]
                  • Mike Bakewell

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 18, 2014
                        what does ORM-D stand for?
                        On Jul 18, 2014, at 8:16 PM, groundhogsteve@... [johnmuirtrail] wrote:

                        > I just did my resupply mailings, and I just confidently walked up to the counter, said "This is an ORM-D,so it has to go ground." When asked what it was, I explained "little metal backpacking stove fuel cartridges"
                        >
                        > "OK, we'll put the no-fly stickers on it."
                        >
                        > And that was that. No problems, no arguments.
                        >
                        > [An ORM-D is a consumer quantity of hazardous material, which should be marked on the sides of the box "ORM-D"]

                      • Chip
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                          I've been reading the posts about sending the mail drops with fuel canisters in them. I am reluctant to send mine by ground ORM-D.

                          Ground only means it is Parcel Post forth class mail. It is the last package to move at every transfer point. This is particularly disturbing to me as I am on the east coast and there are a lot of potential transfers on the way out to the west coast.

                          Also Parcel Post does not allow for return postage if you don't need the package because you had to leave the trail for some reason. I have medications in my box that I don't wish to lose.

                          The Muir Trail Ranch will ship your package back if it was sent Priority Mail, First Class. They will get it back to the Post Office so that it can be returned to you. When I hiked the Appalachian Trail I was able to have boxes moved from one Post Office to another a few towns ahead. I know that the JMT is different as it doesn't go through towns.

                          I've checked with the Red's Meadow and MTR web sites and they state the do carry canister fuel that is comparable with my JetBoil stove.
                        • Edwardo Rodriguez
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                            This is how I label my resupply boxes when I mail fuel. Independence and VVR
                                                                                                 Consumer Commodity
                            ORM-D
                                  Surface Mail Only

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                              Regarding priority mail, this is the only way I will send resupplies mainly due to tracking but also for the forwarding feature.  Just beware that forwarding mail from one PO to another is not always a smooth process.  I tried to do this on my AT section hike in April and it took around two weeks for the box to make it from its original destination to the forwarded destination and, eventually, back to my home (since I was long past that point).  Still, this is better than having the package just vanish which is what would probably have happened with parcel post.
                            • groundhogsteve
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                                ORM-D standsfor "Other Regulated Materials for Domestic transportation only"

                                It's basically a category so small consumer-oriented quantities of things that are hazardous can move without a lot of paperwork hassle, but they cannot fly - have to go via ground transportation.  I'm invoved in hazmat shipping for my business, and you wouldn't belive the paperwork and training and certification involved.  This classification allows anybody to ship small quantities without the headaches.
                              • Frank Dumville
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                                  When I have to send fuel I always mail it separately. I send the rest of my supplies priority mail.
                                   I learned this the hard way after missing a resupply box because it had fuel, went surface, and took over a month to arrive at the resupply stop.

                                  Frank

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                                      It could be that the normal priority mail routing from San Diego to a JMT resupply place might be ground rather than air.  Otherwise, I can't see how they would be able to ship a ORM-D package via priority mail.
                                    • Mike Bakewell
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                                        The explanation was very convoluted. The hard to understand clerk and an explanation about New York City was almost hilarious. She also said "look at me, I'm going to explain". A real sweetie.

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                                          In this case the Post Office personnel screwed up. Priority Mail isn't supposed to have any restrictions so you can't specify surface shipping. That's why their software wouldn't accept it.
                                          I would check the package tracking in case someone that knows what they're doing intercepts the package.
                                          I've mailed fuel out of the large San Diego post office in Carmel Mountain and never had a problem.

                                          Frank

                                          On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Mike Bakewell foxfish50@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                          With the confusion at the San Diego regional office came the assurance that the bucket was being sent priority mail. I have no idea if it is actually going to happen. That was how the postage was paid (priority) and what I was told.

                                        • debrabrownbear
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 19, 2014
                                            I shipped two resupply buckets to MTR last year Priority Mail. One had a packed bear can in the bucket. It was pricey, but I'm so glad I used Priority, since we had to bail out at VVR. MTR returned my buckets through the post office. It was very worthwhile.Debra