What's a good "Big Three" weight?

  • steve herr
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 23, 2014
      Getting some last minute nervousness about my "Big Three" weight - pack, shelter, and sleep system.  I've figured out it would cost me roughly $100 per pound to reduce it. I've got some other reductions I can do for less dollars per pound, but the major reductions to be made would be in the Big Three category.

      What is considered a reasonable "Big Three" weight?

    • Arla Hile
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 2, 2014
        Longritchie,
        You're probably right that it weighs closer to 0.5 oz, although it takes 2 x 2016 Li coin batteries. The two of those batteries weigh "0.0" on my little scale - heh, my only "weighs nothing" item. It will take me a couple more years of this to be so much of a gram counter that I'll need a different scale!

        Arla

        On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:03 PM, "cehauser1@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Here's what I've been using.  It is a half ounce.  It comes with 2 snap-on back attachments:  one is the black built-in mini carabiner attachment that is shown in the picture, and the other is a hat clip attachment on a hinge that allows it to be used as a headlamp.  I only use the hat clip.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote :

        "My hiking partner has a proper headlamp with the red light and all the bells and whistles...and has never used it."

        That's the annoying thing about insurance.

        "The little lamp I have was a gift, no name brand on it, and I've never been able to find the same thing, but similar to this: 5 LED White Light Baseball Cap/hat Clip-on Flashlight Headlamp
          "

        Thanks. I found a single micro LED at the store that is pretty dang bright. They have certainly improved the technology in recent years. With the unnecessary carabiner thing removed it weighs 11.5g (0.4oz). That's less than my car key!

        A single 2032 lithium coin battery weighs 3g, so that 6g for two. Your stated weight of 0.25oz (7g) for your hat lamp must be wrong. Your scale only reads in 0.25oz increments so that means your lamp might be 0.5oz instead. Or more, who knows.

        With so many items below 1oz, if I were you I'd spend $15-20 and get a more precise scale.