Sunglasses.

  • jmtorbust
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
      Today's question: does everyone bring sunglasses? I know the mountain sun can be intense.I'm more specifically interested in hearing from my four-eyed friends and what you are doing about sunglasses. I'm not a big fan of contacts, and less so when I am going to be dirty and in remote areas. I more or less always need my glasses.Do you buy prescription glasses? Do you buy big ones that for over your existing frames?I could buy clip ons for my frames but they are kind of expensive and I'm worried that they will get trashed while on the trail. Prescription glasses may also prove prohibitively expensive.Any thoughts?Regards, Rob
    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
        Good sunglasses are definitely necessary on the John Muir Trail.  I use prescription glasses for distance along with everyday prescription sunglasses.  However, those sunglasses did not provide any side protection and I thought I needed something more along the lines of "glacier glasses" for the JMT.

        I first attempted to see whether overglasses might work.  The Cocoon overglasses were $50 but were uncomfortable so I sent them back.  I ended up ordering prescription glacier glasses from opticus.com.  They carry a full line of glasses from Jublo and other brands.  I tried on a number of frames at REI and then ordered the Jublo Colorado with prescription polarized lenses.  The total cost was around $250 and most of that was for the lenses since the frames are only $60.

        Did I really need glacier glasses for the JMT?  Probably not because I never ended up using the removable side shields that came with the Jublo frames but I am happy with the glasses overall and now I have something that will be useful in the future for travel over snow.
      • Lynn Alexander
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014

          It is not so much that the sun is intense (although it is) it is that it reflects upwards from the polished white granite.  Without sunglasses I have been almost blinded by all that white glare. I wear contacts and sunglasses over them, my husband gets prescription sunglasses to use during the day, and then switches to his regular glasses at night.

          On Jun 19, 2014 12:02 PM, "jmtorbust@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Today's question: does everyone bring sunglasses? I know the mountain sun can be intense.I'm more specifically interested in hearing from my four-eyed friends and what you are doing about sunglasses. I'm not a big fan of contacts, and less so when I am going to be dirty and in remote areas. I more or less always need my glasses.Do you buy prescription glasses? Do you buy big ones that for over your existing frames?I could buy clip ons for my frames but they are kind of expensive and I'm worried that they will get trashed while on the trail. Prescription glasses may also prove prohibitively expensive.Any thoughts?Regards, Rob

        • Peter Hirst
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
            Whatever you do for sunglasses, make sure they have high quality UV protection.  Not all do.  Without UV protection, the dark lenses will just dilate your pupils, opening them up to more UV rather than protecting them from it.  In fact, even on a cloudy day in the Sierra, I am lald that my Transitions lenses have full UV protection even when they are not dark.

[...]

          • debrabrownbear
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
              I hate having to carry two prescription glasses on the JMT, but I do. I have my prescription sunglasses and my prescription regular glasses. I need to be able to see clearly, both in bright sunlight and at night, so I bring both pairs.
              Debra
            • kent.mclemore
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                I've gone to an oval wrap-around from Ray Ban with a prescription bi-focal so I can both see distance and read maps, watch, etc. Very pleased.
              • Jmt
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                  Thanks for all of the advice.  I'm now thinking the clip ons may be the way to go.  I found them on ebay for a reasonable price, even if they get messed up.

                  I like the clip ons because they are polarized and provide adequate UV protection.  They also flip up, meaning I won't have to constantly take them off during the day if I need to see without dark lenses.

                  Regards,
                  Rob

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jun 19, 2014, at 1:28 PM, "kent.mclemore@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  I've gone to an oval wrap-around from Ray Ban with a prescription bi-focal so I can both see distance and read maps, watch, etc. Very pleased.

                • Carolsteveyoung
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                    Redundancy of key equipment = safety margin. Two pairs of glasses might become important.

                    One trip I carried a couple of those thin plastic wraparounds that optometrists give out after eye drop use, in addition to regular sunglasses. Kids on the trip lost their sunglasses by leaving them behind and made reluctant use.

                    Needless to say, cool factor was extremely minimal, almost too small to measure.

                    Steve Young
                    Geneva IL

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                      great for a backup:
                      Rollup Sunglasses - 3 Pairs - 100% UVA/UVB Protection. Made in the USA

                    • dj_ayers
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                        The Amazon listing doesn't say that those are polarized.  I got polarized ones from http://roll-up-sunglasses.com .  It takes a few weeks to ship them from the far east, but they are cheap and ~0.2 oz.
                      • Peter Hirst
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                          Hence Transitions lenses:  auto-dark and UV protected

                          On Jun 19, 2014, at 1:26 PM, debrabrownbear@... [johnmuirtrail] wrote:

                          I hate having to carry two prescription glasses on the JMT, but I do. I have my prescription sunglasses and my prescription regular glasses. I need to be able to see clearly, both in bright sunlight and at night, so I bring both pairs.

                          Debra

                        • Dave Park
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                            I have Transitions and I'll never go back!

                            Dave

                            On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Peter Hirst peter@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Hence Transitions lenses:  auto-dark and UV protected

                          • Bill Hegardt

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014

                                Prescription sunglasses here.
                                Unfortunately, the good ones like Oakley, Maui Jim, etc are never available discounted

                                However...if you have some health insurance with vision perks, some optical stores that carry them give a blanket ~40% discount.  Blue Cross has such a vision perks thing, and...hint...hint.. the stores NEVER want any proof, all they do is ask if you have Blue Cross, and you say yes.  Instant $200 discount

                                Expect full retail for quality frame to be ~150-200, and lenses to be ~300 additional.  You really dont want to know what adding bifocals runs it up too, another 100-200.  But, the optics of the wrap around designs that the premium vendors provide, are exceptional.  Everything else, is really crap by comparison. I had one pair of simple cheap tinted lenses, and decided to pay whatever it cost for good ones.

                              • Kathy Reddel
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 19, 2014
                                  I always wear contacts. Recently, after a few multi-day camping trips training for the trail, especially realizing how much dirt collected under my fingernails,  I decided to replace the lenses in my prescription glasses for use on the JMT and just skip the contacts. It was only 100. for the updated prescription which I needed anyway, with transitional lenses at Costco. (Purchased the originals there.)  No contacts, solution, extra reading glasses or sunglasses to carry on the trail! Thinking it will be well worth it.

                                  Sent from the Katphone  =^..^=
                                • Byron Nevins
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 20, 2014
                                    I now carry super light throw-away sunglasses that my eye doctor hands out after dilating your pupils.

                                    Why?  I was doing the Rae Lakes loop a few years ago in October.  I stopped for a break in thick forest.  Hung my sunglasses on a branch.  And I forgot all about them.  3-4 miles later when I got out of the forest I remembered but I didn't want to backtrack.  So I toughed it out.  I went over Glen Pass which had received a dusting of incredibly bright snow.

                                    I ended up frying my corneas. Very painful.  No permanent damage.

                                    Now I bring spares!  In a pinch you can also use doubled duct tape and cut slits into it.  You definitely need to do something, the sun can and will damage your eyes.