JMT vs HST

  • ankardip1
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2014

      Hi Hikers and Backpackers!

      I would love to do both High Sierra Trail (HST) and John Muir Trail (JMT) and enjoy the beauty of Sierras, but I don't have that many vacation days at hand. Hence the question....

      Although JMT is much longer and so I guess more challenging, does it provide a different/better set of views? Its the views that matter most to me, so if somebody who has done both HST and JMT can share their thoughts, it would be easier for me to choose!

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2014
        Views are much better on the JMT.  No two ways about it.  On the HST you only do two passes, on the JMT you do 11 passes (the 11th being Trailcrest Pass which is technically after finishing the JMT but one has to get to Whitney Portal so you end up doing it).  For the same technical reason, you only end up doing one pass on the HST (Trailcrest Pass is the same situation on the HST too).

        _

        On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:24 PM, dipankarcsiit@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hi Hikers and Backpackers!

        I would love to do both High Sierra Trail (HST) and John Muir Trail (JMT) and enjoy the beauty of Sierras, but I don't have that many vacation days at hand. Hence the question....

        Although JMT is much longer and so I guess more challenging, does it provide a different/better set of views? Its the views that matter most to me, so if somebody who has done both HST and JMT can share their thoughts, it would be easier for me to choose!

      • Bill Hegardt

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 17, 2014
              While the JMT is of course longer, the HST does have around 1.8x the average elevation gain/loss per mile.  Something to consider when thinking of the challenge.
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 17, 2014
                Another thing to think about if you have limited time is to do the HST in Yo-Yo fashion to save on transportation logistics and get resupplied at Lone Pine, and on the re-entry, come in via Horseshoe Meadows, go directly west to the PCT, then North to Crabtree Meadows Junction; that way you get Guyot Pass in the mix, you get a resupply, and it is much easier re-entering the hike.

                _

                On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM, djayers@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                While the JMT is of course longer, the HST does have around 1.8x the average elevation gain/loss per mile.  Something to consider when thinking of the challenge.

              • Peter Hirst

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 17, 2014
                      The JMT is an iconic trail as we all know and is fantastic but the HST if you do not have the time is a great trail. As was mentioned there are great views on the HST from Bear Paw meadow what a great view of the great western divide and then the trail to Hamilton lake which is very scenic and I personally think Hamilton lake is an awesome place to camp that was my first night on the trail. The hike up to precipice lake through the iconic tunnel is very nice precipice is a must see then the view from Kaweah gap is pretty good as well. Just overall I thought it was a great hike if you only have 5 to 7 days and pretty much a must if you plan to do the great Sierra trails. Just my opinion and I have done both and will be on the JMT again next week. Look forward to seeing some of you out there.
                    • cehauser1
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 17, 2014
                        Both are lovely trails, but the JMT wins on the view competition.

                        Chris.

                        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <timothy_c_morris@...> wrote :

                        The JMT is an iconic trail as we all know and is fantastic but the HST if you do not have the time is a great trail. As was mentioned there are great views on the HST from Bear Paw meadow what a great view of the great western divide and then the trail to Hamilton lake which is very scenic and I personally think Hamilton lake is an awesome place to camp that was my first night on the trail. The hike up to precipice lake through the iconic tunnel is very nice precipice is a must see then the view from Kaweah gap is pretty good as well. Just overall I thought it was a great hike if you only have 5 to 7 days and pretty much a must if you plan to do the great Sierra trails. Just my opinion and I have done both and will be on the JMT again next week. Look forward to seeing some of you out there.
                      • Dipankar Bose (দীপঙ্কর)
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 18, 2014
                          Thanks to all of your expert comments! I have decided to do JMT instead. Thanks again!

                        • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 18, 2014
                            A little late in the decision making process, but I'll add it anyways. If you do the HST and then loop back via Colby Pass, Cloud Canyon, up Deadman Canyon, over Elizabeth Pass tying back into the HST near Bearpaw Mdw, you will see some scenery very comparable to the JMT. Colby Pass and Elizabeth Passes are spectacular! And Upper Deadman Canyon is still one of my favorite Sierra spots including the JMT.
                          • bradonjmt
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 19, 2014
                              I hiked the HST last week, starting from Crescent Meadows, going over the Kaweah Gap to Kern Canyon (and enjoying the hot springs, all to myself), and then returning via Colby and Silliman Passes (Elizabeth Pass was too icy at the top 400' for me, and the mosquitos were horrendous in Cloud and -- so I supposed -- Deadman Canyons).  I took the park shuttles from Lodgepole back to Crescent Meadows.  Crossing the Kern River at Junction Meadows was challenging due to the high flow.

                              Compared to hiking the JMT last year, the above route had similarities and differences.  Hiking early in the season, I appreciated the lack of dung from stock on the trail.  Saw very few people beyond Kaweah Gap, and so much of the trip felt wilder than the JMT.  West -- east travel also complemented the north-south orientation of the JMT.  I'm very happy to have done both.  To me comparing the JMT to the HST is apples-to-oranges.