A basic beans, rice, protein, veges, fat dinner recipe with variations

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 13 6:55 AM
      I'm about to leave (June 23) for a 13 day no resupply hike so I am nerding out more than usual to get as many calories into a bearcan as possible. I measured out the ingredients of my standard dinner recipe and, as long as I was at it,  wrote up the technique I use almost every night to turn a few basic ingredients into dinner. Here it is:

      About 70% of my trail dinners are variations on the same basic recipe. Kind of a Beans and Rice, protein, veges, fat and spices (though the rice is usually something else).

      Since some ingredients take 2-3 steeps, while others require only one steep, it is a two part process. All ingredients have a short final steep in my cooking pot. Some of the ingredients have a pre-steep in a jar-based cozy. The cozy can be half the size of the finished dish, since the pre-steep in the cozy involves only the ingredients requiring the two-step process and does not need all the water. The cozy does double duty once the dish is fully cooked – it keeps half of the finished product warm while I eat the other half.

      I recently decided to increase the volume and calorie count of the basic recipe by 50% so I re-measured and tested everything way more carefully than I would in the field. So I thought it was a good time to write it up to see if others want to try it.

      The basic method has many variations, but here’s a version using pinto beans with a Trader Joes blend of grains substituting for the rice. Every ingredient (except water) can be changed so that this method works for a wide variety of dinners. Variations for each ingredient are suggested following the base recipe.

      Confit and bean stew with Alternate ideas

      Put 3 oz. (approx 1/3 cup) of duck or pork confit (both meat and fat) into a JetBoil or similar pot. Pack the meat still remaining in the confit jar tightly to try to eliminate as much air contact with the meat as possible. In the pot, warm the meat-fat just enough so that the fat melts. Pour the fat back into the confit jar so that it fully covers the remaining meat in the jar. Seal the confit jar and set aside for now.

      Put into a 12 oz. cozy jar

      the meat that you just “liberated” from the fat

      2 oz. of Trader Joe’s Harvest Grains Blend

      0.8 oz of air dried vege mix (carrots, onions, corn, celery, bell pepper, etc)

      Lite salt (lite salt has potassium as well as sodium)

      Cold water until the jar is almost full

      Note: the volumes (e.g., the cup measurements) will vary depending on exactly what you use – before leaving home either pre-measure the stated weights of the these dry ingredients into snack-size baggies or at least know how much volume you will need for the weights listed to that you can measure them in the field easily.

      Pour the mixture into the JetBoil, and bring it to a bare simmer (about 190 degrees at 10k elevation) and then pour it all back into the cozy jar.

      Seal the cozy and let it sit 15 minutes while you set up your shelter, inflate your sleeping pad, etc. The steep time depends mostly on the grain you choose but 15 minutes will be long enough for most of the logical choices and also rehydrates the other ingredients. Confit meat for example is quite dry when made the traditional way.

      Return the contents of the cozy to the pot. Add enough water to bring it up a bit to about three cups total. (The JetBoil has a marker at 2 cups and holds 4.)

      Add 2.7 oz. of dried refried pinto beans (again, pre-measure these at home or at least learn how much volume 2.7 oz comprises).

      Add as much fat as you can from the confit jar without exposing the meat to air.

      Your goal is to return about 1.5 oz (3 TB) of the fat to the soup/stew as the fat adds a lot of calories. Depending on how soon you plan to use the confit, or how hot the daytime temps, you may need to be less careful about fully covering the confit meat with the fat.

      Bring to a bare simmer, turn off burner and let steep for 5 minutes in the pot (it helps to have a JetBoil pot with the insulating sleeve but it should work in most pots)

      Taste the result. Add water to the stew vs. soup consistency you prefer.  (The proportions given above will be a thick stew but it can be watered down to a soup.) Adjust salt and consider spices (Spike spice blend, harissa or paprika can be nice).

      Bring the soup/stew back to a bare simmer (if needed due to added water or insufficient hydration). Immediately pour half of it back into the cozy to eat as a second serving.

      Eat the first half your dinner straight from the pot and then clean it with a scraper. Unless you need it for coffee, it doesn’t need to be perfectly clean for use the next morning at breakfast. Just get it clean enough. You may need a little soap if making coffee in the morning. (Dump soap as far from watercourses as possible). A MSR Alpine dish brush/scraper makes cleanup easy.

      Putter around the campsite for 20 minutes or so, then open and eat the second serving straight from the cozy jar. With a good enough cozy, you can wait and hour or more if desired and finish it right before bedtime.

      Put water in the cozy jar and shake vigorously to clean. Again, it does not need to be totally clean if you plan to re-use it for breakfast. It just needs to be clean enough. If it won’t fit in the bear canister, you might want to clean it more carefully.

      Calories

      550 calories – approx from 5.5 oz of carbohydrates

      165 calories – approx from 1.5 oz of protein

      330 calories – approx from 1.5 oz of fat

      1,045 calories

      Alternates

      For Confit, substitute a similar quantity of

      pre-cooked bacon and rendered bacon fat

      diced hard salami and diced Lardo Iberico (or a nice lard – Mexican groceries or delis often have very good lards)

      diced prosciutto butt or other traditionally dry-cured meat with a high fat content

      Lucca Delicatessen, Boccalone in the Ferry Building and Porcellino, all in San francisco, have good choices of trail-stable high fat content meats. But ask at any good deli

      Grain - my favorite is the Trader Joe’s Harvest Grains Blend. Other good options are large-grain couscous (sometimes called Israeli Couscous), tri-color orzo, rice, etc. Your steep time will vary depending on just what you use. This method can accommodate grains that call for as much as 10 minutes of simmer time and with additional pre-steeps up to 15 minute grains.

      For the dried veges, could substitute diced sun-dried tomatoes (though you might want to use less). If you use freeze-dried veges, add them after the first long steep (with the beans rather than with the grains).  If you live in or pass through San Francisco, Rainbow Co-op Grocery has a great dried vegetable mix in the bulk spice area. (Consider getting a little harissa and some Spike blend in the same section and perhaps some dried lemon peel as well.)

      For the dried refried pinto beans, you can substitute black beans or most kinds of dry soups– I particularly like the Taste Adventure Curry Lentil and Split Pea soup mixes. If you live in or pass through San Francisco, they are available in bulk bins at Rainbow Co-op Grocery.

      http://www.tasteadventure.com/products/index.htm

    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 13 8:57 AM
        Good grief John, that sounds like a lot of work for grub!

        Lets' see, get the MH bag out of the canister, fill stove reservoir with water, boil water, tear open the bag and pour water into that, let sit for 8 - 10 minutes, open bag, stir around for a bit, eat. Done!

        In the mean time, John is looking around for a nice place to sit. ;-)

        Have a great trip John, see you SF.

        Ken.
      • Ray Rippel
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 13 9:04 AM
          I shared a meal with John last year I can tell you that it appeared to be a lot easier than it sounds, and the aroma was wonderful. It looked like he ate well!

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 13 9:44 AM
            Thanks, Ray, for not mentioning that I spilled 30% of it.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 13 9:45 AM
              Ken - For me it's quite a lot of play.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 13 10:01 AM
                "It looked like he ate well!"

                Ray, are you saying he looked fat? He was quite skinny the last time I saw him, maybe he is piling it on for the trip?

                Ken.
              • Ray Rippel
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 13 10:20 AM
                  Oh my goodness, no! Trim and fit, especially for his age. [ Oh no! I did it again! :)  ]

                • longritchie
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 13 10:23 AM
                    How can a "basic" recipe have duck confit as one of its raw ingredients?

                    John, what's a fancy recipe look like?
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 13 10:53 AM
                      No harder to make it with duck confit than with sausage and lard. Easier, if anything, since you don't need to dice up the sausage and the meat and the fat come in the same jar.

                      It's true, though, that putting 5 ingredients in a jar is more work than 1 group of a dozen ingredients, that someone else chose for you, and put in a bag for you.

                      Fancy recipe: Mountain House N.O. Style Rice with Shrimp and Ham. It has 13 ingredients that sound at least vaguely like food plus seven that don't. I haven't yet gotten up the courage to eat it.

                      I wouldn't go to REI and buy a backpack pre-packed with all its contents. So why would I do it with food?

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 13 11:10 AM
                        "No harder to make it with duck confit than with sausage and lard."

                        I had to google "duck confit".

                        I do like to cook when traveling with a partner. Often with all of the appetizers, the first course, main dish and then dessert it takes us hours. I have fallen asleep with the bear canister open and the food spread out on the ground on numerous occasions.

                        But when walking alone I don't even cook. I usually just gnaw on the end of a salame and wash it down with cheap whiskey. Could I do that with duck confit and rare single malt scotch?

                        "I wouldn't go to REI and buy a backpack pre-packed with all its contents."

                        I wouldn't either. But you know, I'll bet REI could sell that. Everything you need: JMT in a box.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 13 12:51 PM
                          Rather than duck confit, try curing some duck prosciutto to eat cold with the whiskey. That you can have cold. But it should really be Irish whiskey to do the duck justice.

                          On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          ... I usually just gnaw on the end of a salame and wash it down with cheap whiskey. Could I do that with duck confit and rare single malt scotch?

                        • Arla Hile

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 13 1:42 PM
                              "Rather than duck confit, try curing some duck prosciutto to eat cold with the whiskey. That you can have cold. But it should really be Irish whiskey to do the duck justice."

                              Ha! That's so funny. Duck prosciutto. And, even funnier: Cure it myself!
                              Ha ha ho ho hoo hoo hee hee hee. Good one, John.

                              I find Irish whiskey a little boring. I have a pretty good one (Midleton) but I prefer bourbon. And in ultralight mode I usually pack Bacardi 151. It takes me a couple of nights before I can swallow an ounce of that stuff without wincing.
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 13 3:49 PM

                                On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                It takes me a couple of nights before I can swallow an ounce of that stuff without wincing.

                                And a week before Everclear 190 proof.

                              • larry mann
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 14 6:27 PM
                                  Is that available in the Great State of California?
                                  Most I can find is 150 I think

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 15 12:30 AM
                                      "Go into Nevada to get the 190 Everclear."

                                      I did a calculation for my last JMT walk.

                                      Normally I take bourbon, usually 80 proof, and drink a little less than 2 fluid ounces per night. By taking 151 proof rum I could cut that in half. So I packed 226g of Bacardi 151, which is roughly 8 fluid ounces, enough for 8 nights. If I wanted the same total quantity of ethanol and took 190 proof Everclear instead I would have saved myself an additional 46g. I would have done that had Everclear been readily obtainable. But a drive to Nevada to save 46g? Nah.

                                      As it turned out I only spent 7 nights on the trail. Despite this, by the 6th night I only had half a ration of rum left and on the 7th I had none.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 15 7:47 AM
                                          Whoops - my mistake. Not legal in NV either

                                          Here's a list of the statues where it is illegal

                                          California, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Iowa, Michigan, New York, Nevada, Ohio, Washington, North Carolina, New Hampshire Minnesota and Virginia

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 15 12:26 PM
                                            "Here's a list of the statues where it is illegal

                                            California..."

                                            Everclear brand is sold at 151 and 190 proof. I'm pretty sure CA is limited to 151 proof liquor so if you can find Everclear here (I haven't yet) it would be 151 proof.
                                          • Saxgoddess25
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 17 1:13 PM

                                              I bought Absinthe at BevMo when I lived in the bay area that was 183 proof...so I don't see why they couldn't sell 190 Everclear.  I don't use Everclear so I can't say that I ever looked for it though.
                                            • longritchie
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 17 3:54 PM
                                                "I bought Absinthe at BevMo when I lived in the bay area that was 183 proof...so I don't see why they couldn't sell 190 Everclear.  I don't use Everclear so I can't say that I ever looked for it though."

                                                Are you sure it wasn't 138 proof?