Looking for Group

  • betterlifecom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 12, 2014
      Me and my cousin are interested in doing the full trail at the end of July/ beginning of August.
      I am prepared to take the time away from work. 3 weeks to a month.
      We are experienced hikers but have not been on any backpacking trips.
      Although we are confident in our abilities. We feel it would be nice to group up with a few others.
      Preferably some experience backpackers and anyone with knowledge of the trail would be nice.
      I know we will come across others that will probably be doing it around the same time and at a similar pace but would just like to know in advance if anyone wants to group up.
      Thank you
      Bill

      Coming from Orange County California area if anyone wants to work on some training for the trip also.

    • dj_ayers
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 12, 2014
        No backpacking experience and you plan to start with the JMT.  Well that is jumping right into the deep end!

        I strongly recommend that you try backpacking some shorter trips first.  Try some 3-5-7 day trips.  Learn how many miles per day you can hike day after day with a big pack.  Get your equipment sorted out.  See how you can handle altitude.  Find out if you even like multi-day packing at all!

        Personally, I will not consider taking a newbie along for more than a one week trip.  Even then it must be a person I know, vet, and equip first.
      • Arla Hile
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 12, 2014
          Agreed, even a few days teaches you a lot! I was an experienced "bikepacker" and hiker, but multi-day trips on your feet are a whole different thing.

          Arla

          On Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:08 PM, "rnperky@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          A BIG + 1 to DJ's post !!

        • cehauser1

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
              There is nothing wrong with no experience, everyone starts sometime.

              Many, many  thruhikers on the Appalachian trail, have no experience when they start.

            • betterlifecom@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                This all sounds logical. I have been trying to push myself more and more. Recently just did a 6 states in 4 days motorcycle trip. Covering around 2000 miles. And not on cruisers with freeway pegs and cushy seats. On sport bikes. Encountering 60 mile per hour winds, rain, and snow.
                I have downloaded so much stuff off this group already and trying to do my homework. If it needs to happen next year so be it. Just things going on in my life currently where it would be nice to get back to nature for some time. And the ability to take the time from work and an understanding boss helps.
                Next year I might not be in the same situation.
              • betterlifecom@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                  Time to put some miles on around my neighborhood with a fully loaded pack at least.
                • Luis Velasco
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                    Yup, all the backpacking stuff transfers right to the back of my motorcycle as well—to include the wife. =)

                    • Luis
                    • San Diego CA

                    From: "betterlifecom@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Friday, June 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM
                    To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Looking for Group

                    This all sounds logical. I have been trying to push myself more and more. Recently just did a 6 states in 4 days motorcycle trip. Covering around 2000 miles. And not on cruisers with freeway pegs and cushy seats. On sport bikes. Encountering 60 mile per hour winds, rain, and snow.
                    I have downloaded so much stuff off this group already and trying to do my homework. If it needs to happen next year so be it. Just things going on in my life currently where it would be nice to get back to nature for some time. And the ability to take the time from work and an understanding boss helps.
                    Next year I might not be in the same situation.

                  • mattruby1984
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                      Hey Luis,

                          I also live in San Diego, if I can be any help let me know. Done the trail 4 times.

                      Cheers,

                      Matt R.
                    • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014

                        "Many, many  thruhikers on the Appalachian trail, have no experience when they start"

                        Maybe there is a link between how many folks take a thru-hike of the AT too lightly and why the AT has the highest percentage of people who don't finish of any of the 'big three' trails, ( PCT, CDT, AT ) ?

                      • Jmt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                          "Maybe there is a link between how many folks take a thru-hike of the AT too lightly and why the AT has the highest percentage of people who don't finish of any of the 'big three' trails, ( PCT, CDT, AT ) ?"

                          I agree, but that doesn't mean someone can't try it out without seriously risking their safety. Assuming these guys are headed north to south there are plenty of places to bail out if they decide the trip is more than they can handle.

                          The other positive is that each of the four resupply points are between 1-5 days apart, depending pace. That suggests to me that they could use the first half of the trail to determine whether the second, more remote part is a safe goal.

                          I just want to make clear that I am not advocating heading into the backcountry without proper preparation or skills. But I do think the stretch from Happy Isles to Toulumne is not too dangerous or difficult, if you don't mind a lot of climbing.

                          Regards,
                          Rob

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          > On Jun 13, 2014, at 2:16 PM, "rnperky@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          >
                          > Maybe there is a link between how many folks take a thru-hike of the AT too lightly and why the AT has the highest percentage of people who don't finish of any of the 'big three' trails, ( PCT, CDT, AT ) ?
                        • ravi_jmt2013
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                            According to the 2014 AT Guide, there are at least ten "roads" between Springer Mountain and Neel Gap, the first resupply point for most AT hikers and 32 miles from the start of the trail.  I've never hiked in Georgia but I suspect many of the roads are quite lightly traveled.  But there are definitely more bailout options starting the AT vs the JMT.  In general the AT is more forgiving to novice hikers due to the number of roads and towns. However, starting the JMT from HI, hikers would get to Tuolumne within the first three days and could always backtrack to HI if really necessary.  Of course, the southern half of the JMT is a totally different scenario.
                          • Jmt
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                              Thanks for the info, Ravi.  It is interesting to hear about the relative remoteness between the trails.

                              I'm always amazed by the number of novice hikers who set out on the PCT.    The beginning stretch is very rough, the lack of water, relative exposure, and temperature is pretty crazy!

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                                I wasn't really trying to talk anyone from not trying the JMT for their first thru- hike, more than I am a realist, and realistically they should do a trial overnighter or two before heading put. You're right, there's plenty of bail out points, but it just goes back to my original point on the failure rate of AT hikers jumping in without thinking it all the way theough in terms of preperation. It's an old axiom, but applicable: "fail to plan, then plan to fail" . Some overnight backpacking and training trips fall into the 'planning' catagory in my opinion.
                              • losingitinvegas
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                                  The JMT will be my first thru hike also. I have not been backpacking in over 30 years. I plan to go in 2016. I am spending the last half of this year and all of next year getting all my gear (a lot has improved over 30 years), taking long day hikes, and once I have all my gear (by spring of 2015), I plan on taking quite a few overnight and 3 to 5 day hiking trips to work out the wrinkles. If you do your homework, do some training and get the right gear, you will probably be fine. I wouldn't just go into any long backpacking trip on a whim. Do some planning. I am.
                                • berdomb
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 13, 2014
                                    Most new hikers on the AT are overloaded. The AT weather in spring is cold and wet,   They usually see snow in the smokies as well.  It is also harder hiking than the JMT, 25 percent dont make it out of GA, but most do make it the first 250 miles.  Many dont make it past Neel gap, just 30 miles, they expected a walk in the park, and found out it was very hard work, all day long, every day.  Id say 1 in 4 suffer knee, ankle, or foot issues that cause them to drop out by Hot Springs, based on too much weight, not enough conditioning, and too many miles, too soon. Trying to keep up with others, leads to this.