My food plan

  • markedwardrode
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 10 8:52 AM

      Hi all,  below is my food plan.  If you have any comments/suggestions, I would really appreciate them, especially ideas on lightweight ways to add calories.  I'm in the process of figuring out calories required, etc. before I assemble the mail drop boxes. The caloric count of this plan is about 3,500 a day.  I'm thinking this will be fine, but I'm wondering if I should add some extras in my MTR supply for the last leg (hence my "other ideas" at the end which pack a lot of calories) to bump it up to around 4,000.  Also, I'll be eating freeze-dried dinners. I know that a lot of people hate them, but when I'm out in the backcountry I really don't mind them.  I don't have a dehydrator and love the ease of just adding water and eating right out of pouch.

      Breakfast:

      two packets of oatmeal: 300

      nido milk: 200

      starbucks via: 0

      Snacks (throughout the day)

      3 cliff bars: 750

      Lunch:

      2 Justin's Peanut Butter: 400

      2 mission tortilla: 300

      Hammer Gel: 100

      1 oz of Beef Jerky: 80

      Dinner:

      Recoverite drink mix: 150

      Backpacker's Pantry (high calorie variety such as Cuban Coconut Black Beans/Rice: 1000 cal

      Tbsp olive oil: 120

      Dessert:

      Peanut M & Ms: 250

      Total: 3550 calories

      Other ideas?  (not included in total calorie count):

      Fig Newtons Minis: 200

      Emeralds walnuts and Almonds: 100 calories

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 10 9:27 AM
          I would add an ounce of chopped pecans (or some other type of chopped nut) to the oatmeal in the morning to add around 200 calories.  500 calories might be on the light side to start off the day.
        • dj_ayers
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 10 9:45 AM
            Well food intake and choice is very personal of course, so I don't want to be too critical.  But overall it seems to me that you have quite a few items that have relatively low calorie density (oatmeal, Cliff bars, hammer gel, tortilla, etc.).  You might think about subbing some of these for more calorie dense items (within the limits of your carbohydrate intake % goal) so you can carry less weight and/or more food.

            One example:  the BP Cuban Coco is only ~3.9 Cal/gram while Mountain House Beef Strog is ~4.8 Cal/gm and MH Turkey Tetrazzini is ~4.7 Cal/gm.  Another example:  Cliff Bars are ~3.4 Cal/gm while Zone Bars are ~4.2 Cal/gm.  So you can increase the Calories per unit weight by >20% on these examples and probably several of the other items too.

            If it were me, I'd also mix things up a bit more to avoid monotony.  For instance, instead of 3 NRB bars per day for snacks, I suggest 1 NRG bar, 1 dried fruit & nut snack, and perhaps 1 jerky/chocolate/nut butter snack for more variety.
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 10 9:51 AM
              Great post, DJ.  Food boredom is the biggest enemy on the trail.  In the JMT hiking group I organize starting in 2009 women started hiking with us and the thing that impressed me the most with their packing was how they had a nice variety of great food and none of them suffered from food boredom.  I have learned from them to really think about variety and to try and avoid repeating eating the same thing.  There are some things that are okay to repeat, breakfast being one of them.

              _

              On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM, djayers@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            • Arla Hile
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 10 10:43 AM
                Bars like Clif bars etc get really boring to me, I can't imagine gagging down 3 Clif bars every day, UGH. Certain trail mix items also get boring so if I get pre-made mixes I end up picking stuff out and the rest goes to waste plus I'm carrying it for naught. It's not enough for it to be just ok, it's got to be really really tasty, the kind of thing that if I kept it in the house I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off it. For example my favorite dried fruit is mango and for nuts I like candied pecans. Candied pecans are 190 cal per oz and they're addictive!! Mango isn't bad for dried fruit at 88 cal/oz. I'm sure you have your own favorites.

                I also indulge in things I would never eat at home, flat-out junk food, for me that's things like Cheetos and Fritos. Fritos work best because you can kind of crush them down and they don't turn into powder, plus like my candied pecans they pack a whopping 190 cal/oz. If you're doing packaged meals you're willing to eat stuff that's just so-so nutritionally (that's not a criticism, I eat that stuff too and worse things like the aforementioned Fritos), eating a little bit of junk food for a finite period of time is a-OK in my book! :)

                Cheers,
                Arla

[...]

              • faridwatson
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 10 11:22 AM
                  Agreed.  Variety is important (learned that the hard way).  Nowadays I probably carry more and go slower, but I like my time in the mountains.  Last summer my quip was "You're going to Whitney? I'm going to Whitney!  The race is on!!  First person there loses."
                • groundhogsteve
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 10 8:22 PM
                    Your food plan sounds a little monotonous.

                    Even at only one Clif bar per day, if I ever see another one of those again, I'm gonna puke.....
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 10 8:36 PM
                      I agree, I gave up clif bars about 3-4 years ago.  I got turned onto larabars and have not gotten tired of them even after 3-4 JMTs with them.  they have so many flavors too.

                      _

                      On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM, groundhogsteve@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      Your food plan sounds a little monotonous.

                      Even at only one Clif bar per day, if I ever see another one of those again, I'm gonna puke.....

                    • eric moss
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 10 8:39 PM
                        I've found the CLIF Builder bars much less mealy and gag-inducing.  That said, regular Clif bars have not passed my lips in years.

                        Anyway, a friend from India came up with a bar that can be tweaked in many directions and still be good.

                        Basically, it's toasted unsweetened coconut, oats, various raw and/or roasted salted nuts, dried fruits, etc, all held together with *date* molasses, which is available from middle-eastern stores.  It's easy to control the sweetness and saltiness, and it's not overly sticky.

                        Make some that's more sweet than salty, others that are more salty.  Some more fruity, some with Grape Nuts, others with cornflakes or Rice Crispies or potato chips... you get the idea.  Then encapsulate balls of this in chocolate or that awful almond bark to seal out air, and mangia.  Let them melt  together to make a brick that packs well.  It's all good.

                        On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:22 PM, groundhogsteve@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        Your food plan sounds a little monotonous.

                        Even at only one Clif bar per day, if I ever see another one of those again, I'm gonna puke.....

                      • Bill Hegardt
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 10 8:42 PM
                          At least substitute some Probars or some other energy bar for some of the clif bars. Probars are more expensive, but I think they taste better and you'll likely want some variety.

                          Depending upon where your resupplies are, you should have more room in the bear can in the first half of a SOBO hike. If so, take advantage of that and pack some different meals that are not as space efficient. And of course, be sure to pig out at the Tuolumne Grill and Mule House Cafe in Reds.

                          That's my 2 cents worth.

                          On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM, groundhogsteve@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Your food plan sounds a little monotonous.

                          Even at only one Clif bar per day, if I ever see another one of those again, I'm gonna puke.....

                        • debrabrownbear
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 10 9:15 PM
                            I used to love Clif bars. Then I tried to eat them every day on the JMT last year. If I don't ever eat another one, it will be too soon. This year I'm going for Snickers and Payday candy bars, and peanut M&Ms. Debra
                          • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 11 8:58 AM
                              Cliff bars are dull but each 2.4 ounce bar carries 230 cals and 10g protein and costs about 75 cents at Costco. Larabars weigh 1.7 ounces have 190 cals, 4g protein and costs about $1.80.

                              I accept that price is insignificant considering the entire cost of doing the JMT for some of us, but bang for the calorie and protein buck, Cliffs come out ahead.

                              However, thanks to Roleigh, I will add some Larabars to the food chest for the taste pick-me-up. :-)

                              Ken.
                            • Lynn Alexander

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 11 9:50 AM
                                    LARA bars vary depending on flavor. A few of them are 130 Cal/oz and one is 133 Cal/oz. The Lara Uber bars are higher with one at 156 Cal/oz.

                                    Bars aren't the most calorically dense foods but they're very convenient. Unfortunately it's easy to become sick of them after a while. I've consumed many Lara bars but now just the thought of opening one makes me nauseous.
                                  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 11 10:05 AM
                                      Larabar is a better deal.

                                      But not 'bang for the buck'.
                                    • markedwardrode
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 11 10:56 AM
                                        Thanks everyone!

                                        So far my takeaways are:

                                        -Add some more junk food (fritos, candy bars, etc.)
                                        -Add some nuts to the morning oatmeal
                                        -Add variety to the snack situation

                                        For some reason, I don't think I'll mind the monotony that much.  I have eaten a peanut butter sandwich and apple every single day for lunch at home for the past five years, and I am not sick of it.  I think as long as I switch up the Clif bar flavors and BP meals I'll be fine.  I'm not a picky eater in the least, and in the backcountry I'm just eating for energy's sake.

                                        I never knew that clif bars were so controversial! :-)   If I am really hungry, I have no problem wolfing one of these down.  I've never gotten sick of them on a backpacking trip (although the JMT will be the longest by far).    My friend (and JMT backpacking partner) actually works for Clif bar so we get them for free....that is an incentive for us to use them primarily.  I do love Probars though too, and Larabars, so I'm thinking I'll throw those into the mix.

                                        My only gripe with subbing snickers for clif bars is that I feel like Snickers gives you quick energy, it just as quickly fades away, whereas clif bars (or other energy bars) stays in my gut and gives me energy for way longer.

                                        Anyways, thanks for all of the tips!!
                                        Mark
                                      • jerome provensal
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 11 11:42 AM
                                          As previously mentioned in this forum, I'm a fan of:
                                          Trader Joe's Candied Pecans with a whopping 6.8 cal/g (192 cal/oz) and also packs 5g (20% of daily needs) of dietary fiber.
                                          It has less than 1g of protein on the other hand. It can't have it all, I guess.
                                          Inline image 1
                                          To counterbalance the lack of protein, I'll be taking some Balance yogurt honey peanut bar. which are tiny bars (1.5x the size of a Zippo lighter) with 15 g of protein!
                                           Inline image 2

                                          Jérôme  Blog / FB / LinkedIn / IG / Tumblr /

                                          On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM, markedwardrode@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                                        • Leah Vincent
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 11 12:09 PM
                                            The thought of opening a Lara bar also makes me nauseous! Ha ha! I ate way too many on the AT! Bleh!!! I now like the choc coconut probars.
                                            I plan to take 1 for each day.
                                            Sent from my iPhone

                                          • jyeider@ymail.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 11 12:13 PM
                                              I prefer snacks and bars from
                                              Oskri. Very tasty stuff.
                                              Choice grinds.    Jeff Yeider

                                            • cehauser1
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 11 7:00 PM
                                                "This year I'm going for Snickers and Payday candy bars, and peanut M&Ms."

                                                Those are my favorites!  Last year I ate Snickers, peanut M&Ms, and apple pie and peanut butter chocolate chip Laura Bars, and Trader Joes apple and strawberry Nutrigrain knock-offs.  This year I'll be substituting the Payday for the peanut butter chocolate chip bars, and eliminating the Trader Joes bars.  I'll make up the extra calories with mixed nuts, more peanut M&Ms, and Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter.

                                                Chris.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 12 2:30 PM
                                                  Although I like Clif Bars and they worked reasonably well on the JMT, I am considering dropping the bars for my next hike since they are not that efficient for the weight.  There are some variations based on the type of Clif Bar but generally they tend to be around (or slightly below) 100 calories per ounce.  The Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Clif Bar provides 240 calories, 5 grams of fat, 43 g of carbs, 5 g of fiber and 10 g of protein.

                                                  In contrast, 3 Snickers fun size bars also provide 240 calories, but have 12 g of fat, just 32 g of carbs, and 4.5 g of protein.  Clearly the snickers is not as healthy but I think it provides a quicker boost of energy (my subjective experience) and I can make up for the lack of protein by eating more nuts.  3 Snickers fun size bars weigh just 1.8 ounces, so at 133 calories/ounce they are much more efficient.  Also, they are more readily available and much cheaper than Clif Bars in small stores and resort areas, which matters if not resupplying via mail drops.  Maybe I will put Clif Bars in my mail drops but opt for Snickers or other candy bars in stores.  It is more of a mental block for me since I see candy bars as "junk food" and Clif Bars as more "healthy" but the numbers would seem to imply less of a difference than I imagined.
                                                • Arla Hile
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 12 6:04 PM
                                                    Probars - I'm looking at the Probar "meal", chocolate/coconut flavor, 123 cal/oz, so a 3 oz bar has 370 cal, 18g fat, 8g protein, 48g carbohydrate of which 6g is fiber. They're pretty tasty, too.

                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Arla

[...]

                                                  • bjroach
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 12 6:15 PM
                                                      The chocolate in chocolate covered ProBars definitely melts.  I purchased some that arrived in a USPS Priority Mail box that were a  gooey mess.