Thinking outside the (bear) can...

  • jerome provensal
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 9, 2014
      Over the week-end, I shipped my food to Red's and MTR for my upcoming trip starting June 26.
      Although I was able to fit all the resupply in a 7 gallon bucket, when I try to do a "dry run" of fitting everything in my BV500, I ran out of space.
      I'm told that it's OK to hang the food the first night after MTR and so I might be OK.

      However, thinking of my predicament while soaking my feet wet in my pool before my conditioning hike on Saturday (testing how long it takes for my shoes/socks to dry), I was thinking that another solution might be to use a waterproof bag, stuff the food in the bag along with some heavy rocks and sink the whole thing at the bottom of a lake with a rope + float (piece of wood) to retrieve it later.

      Has anyone tried that technique?

      Jérôme  Blog / FB / LinkedIn / IG / Tumblr /

    • Marion Davison
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 15, 2014
        brucelem12 wrote:
        > Wow...a bear on Forester. Cool story Ray.

        The first time I walked up to the base of Forester, in the early 90's,
        we were standing there at about 12,800 foot elevation at the base of the
        "switchback cliff" staring at a big pile of bear scat.