Contest announcement, who can draw the JMT trail over the county map of CA?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 2014
      I want to know exactly which counties and where on the trail, the JMT traverses over throughout the trail.

      I don't have that much pocket money to spend, but I'm willing to pony up $20 to the person who can draw a map of the JMT showing how it traverses the counties, and where on the trail it migrates into named-such-n-such county.

      The result of the contest will go into the group's library for the benefit of all of the group.

      You see, when there is an emergency, if you are able to contact an emergency number directly (say if you have a satellite phone, or a Delorme Inreach Explorer, or if you are at a TH and have a cell phone), you are supposed to call the sheriff's office if you are in a national forest, else the wilderness office of the national park you are in.

      But I want to know the county you are in, regardless, for if you know the county name, you can find out who are the licensed passenger carrier services currently licensed to service you in that county via using the name of that county via this web search service (thanks to Bob Ennis, of Eastern Sierra Shuttle Service, (formerly operating as Mt. Whitney Shuttle Service):

      and click on the link underneath the words: "list of passenger carriers" and  you'd enter in the county name, and you'd  press SUBMIT and get a list of currently licensed and insurance-covered passenger carriers for that area.

      If you used that list, alongside our JMT crib sheet (see the sig line for that URL), you'd be able to know you're calling a licensed and insurance-covered passenger carrier to cover you and your ride.

      But for you to know how to  use this web site in this scenario situation, you'd need to know what county you are in.  hence the creation of this contest.

      Who'se up to do this cartography?

      I've blind copied some professional cartographers who might be interested in helping, but if not, are there any amateur cartographers in the audience?

      If I was Bill Gates, I'd up the amount on this reward offer.  But I'm not.

      Roleigh

      Inline image 1

      _

    • manfred_kopisch
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014

        Roleigh,

        Can't we just use the following free overview map for the JMT?

        It shows the JMT, the National Parks and Wildernesses and also the county boundaries. You can clearly see how you pass on the JMT from Mariposa County through Tuolumne County, Mono County, Madera County, Fresno County to Tulare County before walking down from Mt. Whitney into Inyo County.

        Best Regards,

        Manfred

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
          Manfred, great find.  I agree with you the information is on the map but I don't agree that it is "clearly".  I wish the county lines had clearer markings.  Care to print that map out, use different colored sharpie pens and scan the resulting map, and send it to either me or John and we'll put it in our archive?

          One other person is working on this.  First one that accomplishes this gets the contest money.  I wish I had as good of map reading skills as you, because I just can't see the county markings that well on the map you show.

          Is this the county boundary marking on the map?

          The long-short dashed line?

          Inline image 1

          _

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
              Ok,

              What is confusing with that clarification, John, is seeing the county line when the line is not straight.  Take this part of the map:

              Inline image 1

              Where the color changes from pink to green, is that black line a county line there?  And is that where the JMT (headed south) leaves Tuolumne County and enters Madera?

              _

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
              Hi Roleigh,

              I added traced the relevant parts of the county lines in yellow and added the county names in yellow.

              Would that work better for your purpose?

              Best REgards,

              Manfred
              Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
                Manfred, that is super fantastic.  Offline let me know if you accept paypal, you won the contest!

                _

                On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM, manfred@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                [Attachment(s) from manfred@... [johnmuirtrail] included below]

                Hi Roleigh,

                I added traced the relevant parts of the county lines in yellow and added the county names in yellow.

                Would that work better for your purpose?

                Best REgards,

                Manfred

              • Adam .
                Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
                • 1 Attachment
                • 780 KB
                For those of you with Google Earth, you can  use this file which I made.

                Adam

                Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
                  Roleigh,

                  Thanks, I'm glad I could help the community.

                  This community was super helpful when my son Daniel hiked the JMT in 2010 to raise funds for his Eagle Scout project. I'm just giving back a little bit of all the help he received - so no payment is necessary.

                  Best Regards,

                  Manfred

                  P.S.: Daniel and his twin brother Philipp (who also hiked the JMT in 2010 with us) will backpack this summer almost 400 miles across the Alaskan Arctic through Gates of the Arctic National Park across the Brooks Range. As I will be with them out there, you won't see me this year on the JMT. Have fun out there!
                • cehauser1
                  Message 10 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
                    Text works well here.  Info from Elisabeth Wenk's maps.

                    South-bound from Happy Isles:
                    Mariposa County => until a gentle watershed divide that is 2 miles north of Cathedral Pass
                    Mono County => until Island Pass
                    Madera County =>until a minor stream crossing midway between Upper Crater Meadow and Deer Creek
                    Fresno County => until Vidette Meadow
                    Tulare County => until Trail Crest
                    Inyo County => until Whitney Portal

                    Chris.

                      Message 12 of 13 , Jun 8, 2014
                        One topo map I saw (don't know how old it was ) said the Madera/Fresno boundary was "indefinite" where it crosses the JMT.  I can't imagine it being indefinite these days.