Review of Elizabeth Wenk's 5th Edition, JMT Guide Book

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2014
    Attached is my book review of Elizabeth Wenk's 5th Edition, JMT Guide Book.

    It is an indepth review, highly recommending this important and remarkable upgrade.
    _

    Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2014
      My book review just went live on Amazon.  Link here.  If you read and  like the review there, it might help sell more books for Elizabeth Wenk who has helped this group out so much with her Master Spreadsheet (and her books).  My review gives a more detailed review of how much better the 5th edition is over the 4th edition that hopefully the review will spur more book sales for her.  I appreciate you liking the review.  Thanks.

      _

      [Attachment(s) from Roleigh Martin included below]

      Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2014
        I created the following short form link to Roleigh's review

        I've also added the link to the review in the Group's Links area in the folder Books.

        Nice review, Roleigh.

        I added these comments to the version of Roleigh's review on the Amazon site:

        I haven't had time yet to read the entire Guidebook, but the review captures well the unique features of the Guidebook. This may be, simply, the single most useful Guidebook I've read of any trail anywhere - and I have read quite a few. For enthusiasts of the JMT - and I've been hiking it since 1970 - this is a Godsend. I'm in the middle of a detailed study of JMT hikers and I find myself referring to it constantly for detailed and reliable information about sidetrips, distances, elevations, resupply locations, etc. Looking forward to using it on the trail. I got myself 2 copies. One to keep intact at home and one that I've torn into sections so that I can take on my 2014 hike the pages I need there.

        On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Roleigh Martin included below]

        Attached is my book review of Elizabeth Wenk's 5th Edition, JMT Guide Book.

        It is an indepth review, highly recommending this important and remarkable upgrade.
        _

      • Dave Park

          Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2014
            For those of you who have not yet taken the plunge and ordered the book, here is a second review to go along with Roleigh's: http://jmtbook.com/john-muir-trail-the-essential-guide-to-hiking-americas-most-famous-trail-by-elizabeth-wenk-5th-edition/

              Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2014
                I have both the 4th an 5th editions, and the 5th is a great improvement.

                We should all thank Liz for her work, and for being willing to share the database on line.  But the book is well worth the bucks.  Get it.
                Message 8 of 17 , Jul 9, 2014
                  Elizabeth Wenk's JMT Data Book just came out this week, and I got my copy.  I provided a review of her data book here.

                  If you like this review, please click on "this review was helpful".

                  If you see me on the trail in the next month (I leave on July 15), ask me to show you the book, it's my guide/map for the JMT this year.

                  Roleigh

                  _

[...]

                • Arla Hile

                    Message 10 of 17 , Jul 9, 2014
                      Once any of you get the book, and if you like it, write your own review at Amazon. It helps authors, and Elizabeth Wenk deserves our help, to see lots of favorable reviews there. Same for her 5th edition full-size book too. Thanks. PS, once you've done your own Amazon Review, post here about it, so we can go over to the page and click on "this review helped" me.

                      _

                    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 11 of 17 , Jul 9, 2014
                        I would never trust Amazon. As far as authors and book publishers are concerned, Amazon is a bully boy.

                        Just my twopence worth from experience.

                        Ken.
                        Message 12 of 17 , Jul 9, 2014
                          Ken, a lot of authors love Amazon.  A nice counterpoint article is here:

                          I do think what they're doing with Hatchette stinks.  We'll see how that ends up.

                          I also dislike that Amazon,  Apple, Audible, and anyone else selling e-books, audiobooks, digital movies, digital music, do not provide for transfership of property utilization after one's death.  That is what really irks me.

                          I know in Elizabeth's case, she admits most sales come in through Amazon, if my memory is still intact. She's offline now, having fun in the Sierras.

                          _

                          On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM, kenjessett@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          I would never trust Amazon. As far as authors and book publishers are concerned, Amazon is a bully boy.

                          Just my twopence worth from experience.

                          Ken.

                        • wncjooy
                          Message 13 of 17 , Jul 25, 2014
                            A question for those who have the new Wenk book(s)-- is all the info in the Data Book included in the regular full-length version?  If so, I can just remove and carry those pages, right?  Or is the info organized differently or separated/ spread out in the regular book so it'd be a hassel to remove?  I'm on a budget... don't want to buy both if I don't have to.  I have the 4th edition and it's been very useful.  Thanks for your help.
                          • Jason Luban
                            Message 14 of 17 , Jul 25, 2014
                              Another option:  If you're carrying a smartphone, download the Kindle version of the book (using Kindle app) for no extra weight.

                              Message 15 of 17 , Jul 25, 2014

                                Thank you, Jason.  I just got my first smartphone, so that'd work-- but I thought the Kindle version didn't include maps and graphics...?  I read something about that on one of the FB JMT groups.  If everything  is definitely included in the Kindle version then that's what i'll do!
                              • Jason Luban
                                Message 16 of 17 , Jul 25, 2014
                                  I just checked and saw the maps in there. Not easy to read on a small screen. I'm using the Tom Harrison maps (not on my phone) in conjunction.

                                  --
                                  Sent from my iPhone, so exxuse Amy misspellings or rypos
                                • wncjooy
                                  Message 17 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014

                                    Hmm...  thanks for checking.  I see on Amazon it's described as "optimized for larger screens".