Current Trail Conditions

  • briana.blech
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2014

      Has anyone hiked the JMT recently and know current conditions? Or maybe there is a website with current conditions? I'm wondering specifically about snow on the trail. I know this past winter was fairly dry, so I'm hoping snow won't be much of an issue. I will be hiking the trail the second half of June. Thanks for any help!

    • Bill Hegardt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 5, 2014
        I'll be hiking in the Cathedral Lakes / Sunrise HSC area this weekend and will post snow and mosquito conditions early next week if no one beats me to it.
        I'm expecting patchy snow and a soggy trail in places, but nothing difficult.

        - Bill

        On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM, briana.blech@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Has anyone hiked the JMT recently and know current conditions? Or maybe there is a website with current conditions? I'm wondering specifically about snow on the trail. I know this past winter was fairly dry, so I'm hoping snow won't be much of an issue. I will be hiking the trail the second half of June. Thanks for any help!

      • bruce czopek
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2014
          I hiked up Lyell Canyon five miles or so last weekend. Zero snow on  the trail in the canyon. Definitely soggy spots though. Just a few mosquitos but they are starting to make an appearance. There was a fair amount of  northbound traffic including one large group of around ten. I wanted to chat with them but was far enough away taking lunch break and let the opportunity pass.

          Bruce

        • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2014
            Thanks Bill! I'll be hiking Clouds Rest in a week, then stating my JMT later in June. The weather has been toasty lately, so I suspect a lot of melt off going on right now.
          • Bill Hegardt
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
              I day-hiked from the Sunrise trail head to Clouds Rest on Saturday, June 6th. Mosquitoes were terrible at the trailhead and the nearby outlet of Tenaya Lake which travels through a meadow. Others in our group who hiked to Sunrise Lakes said they were bad there as well. Away from water sources, the mosquitoes were not too bad.

              Not much snow on the trail at all. The trail crossed several small patches in shady areas. No need for micro spikes. No snow at all up near Clouds Rest.

              I never set foot on the actual JMT, but I hope this helps someone.

              Oh, and the view from Clouds Rest is awesome.

              - Bill

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
                Thanks Bill! I'm doing the same hike next Monday. It is a great day hike! Bummer on the skeeters!
              • Bill Hegardt
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
                  Robert,

                  If you want to eat at the Tuolumne Grill or visit the store before or after your hike, as of last weekend, it was still on the 9am to 5pm schedule. In the store, they told me they would switch over to the 8am to 8pm schedule sometime in the next couple of weeks now that the campground has opened.

                  - Bill

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014

                    _

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
                      Dude, thanks again Bill !! That was going to be our post-hike meal, but I didn't know if it opened yet. Thanks again!
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
                        Search suggestion:

                        Putting this in a Google search box also works well for current conditions postings - it returns 400+ hits. You can use the search to look for

                        -- recent postings on current conditions

                        -- or scan down for ones a year prior to your planned start date, and in a similar prior year (2012 and 2013 were similar to 2014 but 2011 wasn't)

                        Paste exactly this:

                        inurl:johnmuirtrail "current conditions" site:groups.yahoo.com

                        A variation to look at July in 2012 or 2013 would be the following (the OR has to be all caps)

                        inurl:johnmuirtrail "current conditions" site:groups.yahoo.com July 2012 OR 2013

                        On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        _

                        On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM, briana.blech@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        Has anyone hiked the JMT recently and know current conditions? Or maybe there is a website with current conditions? I'm wondering specifically about snow on the trail. I know this past winter was fairly dry, so I'm hoping snow won't be much of an issue. I will be hiking the trail the second half of June. Thanks for any help!

                      • allipilgrim
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
                          Found this website this morning.  "Every 30 minutes, The Journalist collects the latest PCT blogs posts from around the web and displays them in a central location."  So right now with many of them passing thru the JMT, there's some current trail condition reports...

                          http://www.pcta.org/journalist/
                        • forgetwho
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
                            Thanks for posting this.  I just read this mesmerizing account there:  http://2moremiles.com/2014/06/08/forrester-pass/

                            Gail

                            ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <alimoir@...> wrote :

                            Found this website this morning.  "Every 30 minutes, The Journalist collects the latest PCT blogs posts from around the web and displays them in a central location."  So right now with many of them passing thru the JMT, there's some current trail condition reports...

                            http://www.pcta.org/journalist/
                          • Karen Miller

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 10, 2014
                                  Karen Miller - you'd be very unlikely to see snow on the passes in August (even early) this year.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 11, 2014
                                    alimoir - That's a great resource. I added it to our collection of Current Conditions links.