Propriety of temporary trail marker for hiking meetups

  • brucelem12
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 3 2:53 PM

      Perhaps this will seem a stupid question....but I have occasionally made plans to meet up with people in the wilderness, either with a group that spreads out during the day and rejoins to camp, or to meet someone mid hike. Sometimes the precise location of camp can not be predetermined, so a trail marker for the later arrival(s) is desirable, especially when camping off trail significantly. I've used a small 2" x 8" or so bright colored strip of cloth, or a bandana, agreed on beforehand, rocked out, pointing the way to camp from the trail before. It probably sits out next to the trail anywhere from 1-4 hours.

      Any feedback on how acceptable or unacceptable this is...ie concerning the visual pollution?

      I know many scratch notes/arrows in the trail dirt, but those are easily/often missed...and perhaps even that is considered poor form?

      Bruce

    • brucelem12
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 6 5:51 AM

        Thank you for the feedback. Responses were helpful, (to me at least), in giving perspective. Appreciated.

        Bruce