InReach SE DeLorme 2-way Satellite Communicator

  • forgetwho
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 7:38 AM

      Has anyone used this, or is anyone planning to?  I'm thinking about renting it but was hoping for some reports first on its reliability and usefulness.

      Gail

    • bradonjmt
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 9:50 AM
        I used it on a solo hike of the JMT last summer to keep in touch with my family, and was very pleased with it.  Turned on tracking so that they could follow my progress.  The two-way messaging is very useful.  I used a SunTactics sCharger-5 solar charger to keep it charged.

        The only trouble I had is that it can be hard to send messages when you are in a canyon (can't "see" the satellite overhead) and possibly also in thick forests.  -- Brad
      • forgetwho
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 9:32 PM
          Thanks Brad.  Does anyone have any input on how long the battery would last if the tracking feature were turned off, if the unit was used only for messaging and turned off in between times?  I don't plan to carry a charger.

          Gail
        • bradonjmt
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31 9:38 PM
            Turning off tracking will save power, but to really increase the usable time on a single charge you should turn the whole device off.  When it is on, it checks periodically for new messages, consuming power, and will run down after perhaps several days.