Base pack weight 28 lb

  • justindav193
    Message 1 of 19 , May 30 11:40 AM

      Hey guys,

      Starting the JMT in early august this year north > south. I am pretty serious about photography and I have exactly 5 lb 11.3 oz's of camera gear (camera, tripod, batteries etc.) I am stubborn, so I will have to bring all of this with. However, my pack weight even before I bring any of this is at the upper range of 22.

      With food and water it will be at 46.0 lbs (assuming 2L and 6.5 days of food with 2 lb / day). In order to lighten the load of food I will be resupplying in independence after MTR, since I eat more calories than a friggen horse when I exercise.

      I'm trying to go lightweight on this trip, but is roughly 22.8 lb baseweight still pretty heavy (with camera gear, 28.lb 9 oz)? What should I work on, thats not too expensive. I'm in college.

      http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=null

      doesnt list food/water/hiking boots.

      Thanks for the help.

    • justindav193
      Message 2 of 19 , May 30 11:44 AM
        John Muir Trail

        Here is the working link.
      • bjroach
        Message 3 of 19 , May 30 11:58 AM
          The biggest opportunity is almost always in the Big Three (shelter, sleeping, pack).  You're at almost 12 lbs.  It is quite possible to get your Big Three for the JMT down to about 6 lbs.  The issue is always cost.  Lighter materials always cost more.  A couple of months ago there was a great forum discussion on backpackinglight.com about the cost vs. weight of participants' Big Three (Four).

        • Arla Hile

            Message 5 of 19 , May 30 12:14 PM
              Yeah someone beat me to it. :)

              Arla

              On Friday, May 30, 2014 11:58 AM, "brianjroach@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              The biggest opportunity is almost always in the Big Three (shelter, sleeping, pack).  You're at almost 12 lbs.  It is quite possible to get your Big Three for the JMT down to about 6 lbs.  The issue is always cost.  Lighter materials always cost more.  A couple of months ago there was a great forum discussion on backpackinglight.com about the cost vs. weight of participants' Big Three (Four).

            • ravi_jmt2013
              Message 6 of 19 , May 30 12:56 PM
                Since you mention cost being important, I would look at the following to save a little weight:

                1. Carry a 100-110g fuel canister instead of the larger canister to save about 4-5 ounces.  You can buy new canisters at Red's Meadow, VVR, MTR, and I believe in Independence as well.

                2. You have a pound of toiletries listed and I think this can be reduced by at least 8 ounces if you repackage items and include replenishments as needed in resupply boxes.

                3. Consider the Sawyer Mini filter (around $20) to save about 3 ounces off your listed water treatment (but you'll still need to carry a backup purification method like a small amount of aquamira or tablets).

                4. You could buy a DriDucks rain suit for about $20 and cut around 10 ounces off your existing rain wear; however, you will need to determine your comfort level with the durability of what you have vs. DriDucks which can be fragile.

                That's about 1.5 pounds of weight savings at minimal cost.  Obviously changing the big three is where much greater weight savings will come from but that's going to cost quite a bit more money... .  For example, You could get a good backpack like the ULA Catalyst for $250 and cut your backpack weight by around 30 ounces but I wouldn't do that unless you can get your total weight down to 35 pounds, maybe 40 at the most.
              • Carolsteveyoung
                Message 7 of 19 , May 30 2:53 PM
                  I couldn't view the actual list (no Adobe) but judging from comments of others you are getting some good hints. My two cents worth:

                  Bring enough food! You might be able to cut down weight with more calorie dense choices IF you like them and will actually eat it. I don't like scrimping on food.
                  You won't wear the extra clothes. Use a tiny bit of shampoo and wash dirties in an empty Ziplock as you walk the next am, then dry during pm as you hike.

                  I would not buy new pack or tent if I was in college. Unless you find a mega sale item at REI?!

                  Bring some Drink powder Gatorade for first two days or just carry bottles and use empties as your fillable bottles. Stay hydrated to aid altitude adjustment

                  Steve Young
                  Geneva IL

[...]

                • Byron Nevins
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 30 2:58 PM
                    What's "friggen"? Am I supposed to mentally substitute an actual word that stArts with "F"?

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • dj_ayers
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 30 3:14 PM
                      That's a heavy pot at 7.7 oz.  A Stanco grease pot (stancometal.com) weighs 3.6 oz including the lid.  It holds about a liter or so.  I see one at $9 on Amazon right now.  You can get even lighter if you cut a lid for it from a grocery store $2 aluminum pie plate instead, dropping the pot + lid weight to ~2.9 oz.

                      If you want the ultralight crowd to scrub your list and give lot's of suggestions, consider posting on backpackinglight.com .
                    • cehauser1
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 30 8:02 PM

                        I didn't look at your gear list yet, but I can already shave off 10% of the pack weight (4.5 pounds)...  Don't carry 2 liters of water.  There is water (nearly) everywhere on the JMT, even on a dry year... There are only 3 or 4 places where you might want to carry 1 or 1.5 liters, but otherwise just drink at a streams and lakes when you are thirsty.

                        Dry stretches where you might want to carry water:
                        1.  Little Yosemite Valley to Sunrise High Sierra Camp
                        2.  Red's Meadow to Duck Lake
                        3.  Bear Ridge
                        4.  Mt Whitney

                        Ray Rippel did a nice blog post on this a year ago:

                        http://jmtbook.com/for-hikers-of-the-john-muir-trail-less-snow-has-advantages-disadvantages-part-2-of-2/

                        Chris.

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 31 10:22 AM
                          If your photography plans includes selfies, the StickPic might help save some weight

                          StickPic Home

                        • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 31 10:31 AM
                            Many seem to look at 'base weight' differently, but this is my set-up for now:

                            Backpacking set-up    2014

                            Item                    Name                    weight        Running total

                            Back pack            REI Flash 62        3 lb                3 lb

                            Tent                    Tarptent Contrail    1 3/4 lbs          4 lb 12 oz

                            Sleeping pad        REI Flash            1 lb                 5 lb 12 oz

                            Cooking set-up    Primus ETA lite    14 oz               7 lb 10 oz

                            Sleeping bag        Sub-Kilo +20        1 lb 13 oz       9 lb 7 oz

                            Hiking poles         REI Traverse        9 oz    (Not in bag)

                            Plastic bag (to WP S.B)                    0

                            Clothing    (not including clothing worn)

                            1 shirt                                            1 lb 8 oz          10 lbs 15 oz
                             2 pair socks
                             I pair knickers
                             top jacket
                            1 base layer
                            Crocs
                            1 pair shorts

                            Toiletries/trowel                                8 oz                11 lbs 7 oz

                            Spoon                                            1 lb                  12 lbs 7 oz
                            Towel
                            Detergent/cloth
                            Medicines/Vitamins
                            First Aid

                            Bear Cannister    Bear Vault            2 lbs 9 oz          15 lbs

                            Food (6 days)    Mountain House    9 lbs 8 oz            24 lbs 8 oz
                            Oatmeal bars    (1.5 lbs/day)
                            Cliff bars
                            Jerky
                            Fruit and Nuts
                            Spiz

                            Water    2 full bottles, 1 empty        2 lbs                    26 lbs 8 oz

                            But is is a work in progress so likely to change.

                            Ken.

                          • Joe MacLeish
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 5, 2014
                              > The Yosemite Wilderness center says 94F today and tomorrow but 74F max in TM.

                            • berdomb
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 5, 2014
                                headlamp is heavy, mine is 0.68 oz
                                dont need leatherman, my FAK weighs 1.8 oz
                                toiletries are insane at 11oz, granted some may be contact solution.
                                forget the charger and headphones and leave the ithingy OFF
                                backpack and sleeping pad are pretty heavy, esp backpack. You could shave 2 lbs there
                                cook pot is very very heavy.
                                What are 4 sporks for?  bring ONE plastic spoon, 0.4 oz.
                                no underwear except what you are wearing
                                1 extra pr socks
                                you will likely wear the pants all the time for bug and sun protection once at elevation, so probably count in worn.

                              • Arla Hile
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 6, 2014
                                  Good advice from berdomb (I always want to type "derbomb" - eek). What headlamp are you using berdomb?

                                  Couple things I'd add my 2c to (worth every penny), I sleep cold and bring two extra pair of socks, one for the daily rotation and one for sleeping. Also, the Leatherman Micra is 1.8 oz, the scissors are sprung and excellent, indispensable for cutting moleskin.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Arla

                                  On Saturday, July 5, 2014 8:00 PM, "berdomb@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  headlamp is heavy, mine is 0.68 oz
                                  dont need leatherman, my FAK weighs 1.8 oz
                                  toiletries are insane at 11oz, granted some may be contact solution.
                                  forget the charger and headphones and leave the ithingy OFF
                                  backpack and sleeping pad are pretty heavy, esp backpack. You could shave 2 lbs there
                                  cook pot is very very heavy.
                                  What are 4 sporks for?  bring ONE plastic spoon, 0.4 oz.
                                  no underwear except what you are wearing
                                  1 extra pr socks
                                  you will likely wear the pants all the time for bug and sun protection once at elevation, so probably count in worn.

                                • Jgoring1

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 6, 2014
                                      "what headlamp are you using berdomb?"

                                      I use a Olite I3s EOS flashlight(0.5 oz)  with clip for my hat bill when I wear a ball cap.  (i also have a homeade elastic headstrap that mounts it above my ear and allows up/down tilt that weighs 0.17oz).  A single AAA energizer Lithium battery (0.27 oz)  gives  1 hr 40 min on 80lumen, and  15 hrs on 20L.   I have used in night hiking on 20L for considerable hours and its enough for me.  If need more light it isnt for more than a few moments to blast on high to see better.

                                      One spare battery for 0.95 oz total,  gives about 30hr of light for night hiking on low, and 3.5 hrs on high.

                                      Just for grins, I will bring 2 spare batteries for the Whitney night climb.  Theres probably a lot more areas I want to see better in that normal.  Changing batteries is easily done by feel as well since top of light just screws off.

                                    • steve herr
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 6, 2014
                                        "I'm gonna suggest one non worn pair undies. So you can always have one clean."

                                        Reminds me of my favorite (and only) latin phrase:

                                        "Semper ube purim sub ube"

                                        Always wear clean underwear.

                                      • Arla Hile