Bear boxes

  • Julie Mitchell
    Message 1 of 17 , May 29, 2014
      Hey group
      Has anyone used the bear vault beans cannisters ?
      I like the light weight and size
      But my daughters have read reviews that they are hard to get into..
      Anyone experienced with this brand?

      Thanks so much!
      Happy Trails
      Julie
    • Julie Mitchell
      Message 2 of 17 , May 29, 2014
        Sorry I meant Bear Vault brand cannisters.
        Anyone ever used this style/brand?

        Thanks !

        On May 29, 2014, at 2:02 PM, "Julie Mitchell jamarlei@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hey group
        Has anyone used the bear vault beans cannisters ?
        I like the light weight and size
        But my daughters have read reviews that they are hard to get into..
        Anyone experienced with this brand?

        Thanks so much!
        Happy Trails
        Julie

      • Jason Schlager
        Message 3 of 17 , May 29, 2014

          I have a bear vault bv500.

          They can be hard to open when really cold or the outside is covered in dew.  I usually dry it off and hold it between my legs.  Then unscrew the lid.  The tabs get hard to push in when cold. You can warm up the double tab area by resting your hand on that area for a few moments.  The tabs are then easier to push in.  After practice it has gotten really easy for me to open and close.  Also the lid is not smooth on the inside since it has reinforcement webbing.  You have to take that into consideration if you try to cram too much stuff into it and realize you can't turn the lid to compress the contents.

          It fits well in my pack but what does not fit in an ILBE pack.

          This is the only bear cannister I have used so I can't compare it to others. Also, I have not had the can in the snow.

          Jason Schlager

        • mrbschultz
          Message 4 of 17 , May 29, 2014
            Google a YouTube video that shows a very easy way of opening the BV500, otherwise yes they can be touch to open in the mornings!
          • bill cathey
            Message 5 of 17 , May 29, 2014
              Yes, I use them. While turning the lid to open, it will catch when almost open, and you have to then press in with your fingernails on the lid momentarily while turning to get the lid past the thing that's stopping it. You have to do that twice in a row.

              It can sometimes be a little difficult, especially if your hands are cold. However, there's a trick where you can hold something thin like a credit card or knife blade between the lid and the little protrusion on the canister where the "catch" is, and that makes it a lot easier if you have difficulty using your fingertips.

              bill

              On May 29, 2014, at 2:32 PM, "Julie Mitchell jamarlei@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Sorry I meant Bear Vault brand cannisters.
              Anyone ever used this style/brand?

              Thanks !

              On May 29, 2014, at 2:02 PM, "Julie Mitchell jamarlei@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Hey group
              Has anyone used the bear vault beans cannisters ?
              I like the light weight and size
              But my daughters have read reviews that they are hard to get into..
              Anyone experienced with this brand?

              Thanks so much!
              Happy Trails
              Julie

            • Edwardo Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 17 , May 29, 2014
                Here is a video of a kid opening up a bear can How to Open a BearVault

                Message 7 of 17 , May 29, 2014
                  thank you for the informative responses on the Bear Vault!
                  Very helpful.
                  Julie *:) happy

                  On Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:25 PM, "Edwardo Rodriguez edwardo.rodriguez53@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Here is a video of a kid opening up a bear can How to Open a BearVault

                  On Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:42 AM, "mrbschultz@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Google a YouTube video that shows a very easy way of opening the BV500, otherwise yes they can be touch to open in the mornings!

                • cehauser1
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 29, 2014
                    Julie:

                    I have a BV450 and like it.  I know there are other lighter brands.

                    The credit card technique works great on a cold Sierra morning.

                    Chris.

                    ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jamarlei@...> wrote :

                    thank you for the informative responses on the Bear Vault!
                    Very helpful.
                    Julie *:) happy

                    On Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:25 PM, "Edwardo Rodriguez edwardo.rodriguez53@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Here is a video of a kid opening up a bear can How to Open a BearVault

                    On Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:42 AM, "mrbschultz@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Google a YouTube video that shows a very easy way of opening the BV500, otherwise yes they can be touch to open in the mornings!

                  • Denise Poyer
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 30, 2014
                      I have the Bear Vault 500 and use it extensively on all my backpacks.  To open it I just grab a small twig and use it to push in at the tab. With a little practice  you get the hang of it.  Leave the credit card buried in your pack.
                      Denise

                      --
                      Denise J. Poyer
                      denisepoyer@...
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 30, 2014
                        I have an older model BV500 (fewer smaller threads) and newer model BV450 (more taller threads) that I've used numerous times.  The video shows the tab catching on a newer model and how to overcome it.  That is good, that can be an issue.

                        But in my experience, there is a more difficult jamming problem that crops up once in a while when the lid is tightened fully.  This problem is exacerbated in the cold.  On occasion it can be quite hard to get the lid initially turning -- before the tab is encountered and not related to it.  The other week I did some cold temp experiments (soaking my BV's in a 0F freezer) and was able to make the problem repeatable and also to try out some solutions.

                        The major mitigations I've found are:  1. Don't over-tighten the lid after getting it past the tab.  2. Make sure the threads are kept clean on both the lid and can.  3. Consider applying some non-toxic, non-grease attracting lube.  Beeswax resolved the problem on my older style can, but was not much help with the newer style.  A Si based lube helped some, but not fully, on the newer style can.  4. Do a bit of filing and/or sanding of the threads.

                        Maybe someone knows of a better solution.

                        Dave
                      • cehauser1
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 31, 2014
                          Dave:

                          I have a newer BV450, and I think I have experienced what you are talking about.  Is it possible that the lid is sticking because the plastic is shrinking when it gets cold at night?  I think you have a good idea to leave the lid loose (don't tighten any more after you get past the 2 tabs), especially when tightening it at night.

                          Chris.

                          ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <djayers@...> wrote :

[...]

                        • jerome provensal
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 1, 2014
                          • 1 Attachment
                          • 230 KB
                          Here's how I do it. I use one of those frequent buyer micro cards that attached to your key chain and tap it losely to the top of the canister like this: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LJlQL_IxfNw/U4k2ZReng4I/AAAAAAACmb8/q56cJVoVIJE/w1032-h1376-no/IMG_6942.JPG and then use the credit card trick. Works every time w/o frustration.

                          Jérôme  Blog / FB / LinkedIn / IG / Tumblr /

                          On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:04 PM, bill cathey b.cathey@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                        • Karen Miller
                          Message 13 of 17 , Jun 1, 2014
                            Are the Bearikades hard to open?  I'm renting one and never seen one before. Advice? Do I take an additional tool of any kind? Karen

                            On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM, jerome provensal jerome@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            [Attachment(s) from jerome provensal included below]

[...]

                          • bjroach
                            Message 14 of 17 , Jun 1, 2014
                              No, Bearikades are not hard to open.  You will need something akin to a slotted screwdriver like a coin, the edge of your spork, a zipper pull, etc. to open and close your Bearikade.
                            • cjoslyn99
                              Message 15 of 17 , Jun 1, 2014
                                Good trick.  I usually just use the edge of my plastic poop shovel but anything solid that will give a little extra pressure will work.
                              • cehauser1
                                Message 16 of 17 , Jun 1, 2014
                                  Jerome:

                                  Brilliant!  I'm going to try this!

[...]