Re: [John Muir Trail] Rain Gear

  • Marion Davison
    Message 1 of 22 , May 26, 2014
      cdresel@... [johnmuirtrail] wrote:
      > Friends,
      >
      > I'm sure this has come up but I am interested none-the-less on the
      > current trends.

      We use army surplus silnylon ponchos, purchased at local surplus store.
      They cover very well over the pack. We also have coated rain pants
      but only take them when wet weather is predicted.
    • chuckdresel
      Message 2 of 22 , May 26, 2014

        Friends,

        I'm sure this has come up but I am interested none-the-less on the current trends. Rain gear is expensive stuff and I am wondering how many of you have gone with coated nylon gear and what kind of success/failure you may have had with it. Admittedly it does not breathe but I have found that when hiking much of the expensive stuff doesn't breathe enough to keep up anyway.

        If you have a chance, chime in on your rain gear thoughts.

        Chuck Dresel

        Napa, CA

      • Larry Beck
        Message 3 of 22 , May 26, 2014
          Usually, the rain in the Sierras is afternoon rain in the monsoon season (August). In general, a nice breathable rain shell and a pack cover is all you'll need but, if it's going to rain longer than a couple of hours or, if it's a real down pour, rain pants might also be advisable.

          To me, rain pants are an real hassle though so I've taken advise from someone on this forum. The advise is to use a rain kilt (or skirt) :)

          In my case, I've taken a heavy duty contractors black trash bag and cut the bottom off. Now it's a simple matter to step into the "skirt" and tie it up at the waist.

          Larry

          On Monday, May 26, 2014 9:14 AM, "cdresel@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Friends,
          I'm sure this has come up but I am interested none-the-less on the current trends. Rain gear is expensive stuff and I am wondering how many of you have gone with coated nylon gear and what kind of success/failure you may have had with it. Admittedly it does not breathe but I have found that when hiking much of the expensive stuff doesn't breathe enough to keep up anyway.
          If you have a chance, chime in on your rain gear thoughts.

          Chuck Dresel
          Napa, CA

        • eric moss
          Message 4 of 22 , May 26, 2014
            It's pretty expensive, and I don't know how much I want to be moving in the rain vs riding it out in a tent.  OTOH, if I need to get in the miles and it won't stop drizzling, it might be the most comfortable way to do it.  The idea about a rain kilt from a contractor's garbage bag sounds pretty good, too.

            On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM, cdresel@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote

            [...]

            If you have a chance, chime in on your rain gear thoughts.

              Message 6 of 22 , May 26, 2014
                I use ULA's Rain Kilt and I love it.  http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm
                I carry some small lightweight gaiters just in case. The kilt keeps me dry, and warm, and I don't sweat. I can also use it for other things like sitting on, or covering stuff.

                Kim

                On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM, John Ladd johnladd@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

              • Edwardo Rodriguez

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 26, 2014
                    If I expect more rain or harsher conditions I prefer non-breathable coated nylon rain pants with a full side zip for ventilation. Unfortunately these aren't in fashion and are hard to find. In these condition I've used mid and light weight coated breathable rain jackets.

                    For summer in the Sierra were I don't expect long periods of wet weather I've used the older DriDucks rain suits. They are cheap, light and breathable. However, they are not very durable so they shouldn't be used for off trail travel or if you're hard on your gear.

                    I think you would be fine with coated rain gear.

                    Frank

                    On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 9:14 AM, cdresel@mac.com [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Friends,

                    I'm sure this has come up but I am interested none-the-less on the current trends. Rain gear is expensive stuff and I am wondering how many of you have gone with coated nylon gear and what kind of success/failure you may have had with it. Admittedly it does not breathe but I have found that when hiking much of the expensive stuff doesn't breathe enough to keep up anyway.

                    If you have a chance, chime in on your rain gear thoughts.

                    Chuck Dresel

                    Napa, CA

                  • Peter Hirst

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 26, 2014
                        I used the Outdoor Research Helium 2 jacket along with Dri Ducks rain pants last year on the JMT.  On the JMT and since then, the jacket has been a key piece of gear for me both for rain and wind protection but it has lost its DWR coating and I need to restore it before my next hike.

                        The Dri Ducks pants only weigh a bit over 4 ounces and were of limited use on the JMT.  I only hiked in the rain pants for a couple of hours on one day.  In other conditions, I have found the Dri Ducks to be less breathable than I would like which means that in rain over 55-60 degrees, I end up wetting out the pants from the inside out due to sweat making it pretty much useless.  I have been looking for better rain pants myself for hiking in Colorado this summer but right now my default is the Dri Ducks since I haven't found anything that looks better without adding a lot of weight.  The only possibility I have kicked around seriously is the zPacks rain pants but I'm not really sold on cuben fiber for clothing at this point especially given the high price.

                        One piece of gear I am seriously considering for the PCT next year is the zPacks groundsheet/poncho combination, which I think could also be something to consider for a JMT thru hike.  There are definite downsides to ponchos but the upside is good ventilation and significant weight savings.  I wouldn't consider a poncho on a trail where I would expect daily rain but on the JMT it might be something to consider with rain probably likely only on a handful of days during a thru hike.
                      • brucelem12
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 26, 2014

                          +1 for Zpacks groundsheet / poncho. It has partial side zips and some light bungie clips to keep it from wind flopping but maintain ponchish ventilation, and of course I like the light weight, ease, the size which covers the pack, and multi use. Of course you should keep in mind the inconvenience of setting up your tent in the rain if using a combo poncho / groundsheet like this. I carry a light garbage bag to cover my pack while doing so, but it is still awkward in a heavy downpour...(a rarer issue on the JMT).

                          Bruce

                        • jyeider@ymail.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 26, 2014
                            I recommend ZPACKS breathable cuban fiber rain jacket 4.2 oz
                            Fits and feels good and totally water proof.
                            The Cuban kilt is a winner @ around 2oz
                            There pack cover is also cuban at
                             .9 oz
                            Happy shopping
                            Jeff

                          • ravi_jmt2013
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                              I recommend ZPACKS breathable cuban fiber rain jacket 4.2 oz

                              Do you feel like the cuben will hold up to use over time?  I'm thinking especially of the wear associated with carrying a pack while wearing the jacket.  I've been happy with my zPacks cuben shelter but I am very careful with it and it doesn't face the same type of  wear pattern that would be the case with clothing.
                            • mitchhike
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                                I also vote for the ULA's Rain Kilt and I love it.  RAIN KILT . I used it for the first time this weekend on a rainy day in the Catskills, NY. No rain paints for me anymore.

                              • jyeider@ymail.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                                  Ravi:
                                  Yes I do. The ZPacks breathable cuban fiber is not "crinkally" like our cuban fiber tents. And most importantly the quality of ZPacks construction is very well done..
                                  Everything I own from ZPacks is well made and if "taken care of" should last a long time. I have one of their sleeping bags too. Very light and warm......
                                  Hope this helps
                                  Jeff

                                • ravi_jmt2013
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                                    Thanks Jeff.  I have also been very impressed with everything I have from zPacks but for some reason I've been hesitating on the jacket and pants.  The zPacks sleeping bag is on on my list!  For now I have a few small zPacks items ordered including the cuben shoulder pouch and wallet.  I'll have to decide soon on the rain gear given their long wait time.
                                  • jyeider@ymail.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                                      Ravi
                                      Good point about their cuban fiber ditty bags and pouches. They make a size and shape for everything I need. They help me organize my stuff and keep my pack rounded out and tight without any wasted space.
                                      Zpacks is a very well run company with great people I'm sure that they can help you if you have a time dilemma.
                                      Best regards
                                      Jeff

                                    • Swamy LLM
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                                        I  made pants using breathable cuben fiber ( and in the process of making jacket).
                                        It's same material that Zpack uses for rain jacket and pants.
                                        It's stretchy and seems not as tear resistive as CF used in tents.
                                        I'm not confident that it  last longer than one JMT trip.

                                        Cost (including gear life) vs. weight does not make this worth, IMO.

                                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                        Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 08:03:29 -0700
                                        Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Rain Gear

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 27, 2014

                                          Ravi, I have used a Zpacks cuben rain jacket for a while and like it, but any of that light weight / cottage stuff does need gentler care, something I'm not so good at. Presumably because of cuben fabric size limitations, the sleeves of the jacket are joined / taped halfway at elbows. I ripped one off accidentally, but like I said, I'm bad about careful use, and use mine constantly including often sleeping in it. I just taped it w/ duct tape and still works fine. With more reasonably careful use, one shouldn't have any such issues. Zpack construction is always excellent.

                                          I also have a pair of Zpacks cuben rain pants, but rarely use them, and usually just as a sleeping cold layer. I will note that for longer pants it seems that maybe he adds the extra length into the upper groin / hip area as opposed to leg / inseam, giving a bit of a baggy, slightly awkward "clown pants" proportion, so you might query the inseam if you order.

                                          In general, I find Zpacks gear to be fabulously designed and extremely well made, but of course inherently more fragile due to lightweight materials. Obviously very expensive too, but personally, I'm always willing to trade a few hotel stays and restaurant dinners for gear that I'll reuse 100+ days.

                                          Bruce

                                        • hegghart@nvbell.net
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                                            I used a light poncho with over-pack extention--no sweat!
                                          • garyschlageter16
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 27, 2014

                                              I am looking at the Marmot Essence which at 6 oz. is suppose to be breathable and fairly tough.  It was written up in the Backpacker's equipment guide.  I have seen it for sale for $139.

                                              My question, I plan on departing HI Sept. 1, will I need rainproof pants as well?  I have Railrider's which are somewhat water resistant, but not sure if that will be sufficient.

                                              Thanks,

                                              Gary Schlageter

                                            • berdomb
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 27, 2014
                                                the need for rain pants is debateable.  I dont like to stop and put them on, because my legs stay reasonably warm even with temps in the 50s . And I get soaked with sweat beneath them anyway.

                                                My railriders pants do wet out easily, I wouldnt call them water resistant at all. They actually make my legs colder, than if I just was wearing shorts.

                                                I think it is prudent to have some raingear for lower body, I usually bring a rain skirt, dont usually need it, but the right cold windy conditions could warrant it..