Elizabeth Wenk 5th Edition on Kindle

  • byronnevins
    Message 1 of 21 , May 20, 2014

      I got an email from a Wilderness Press representative.  The book is coming out on Kindle soon.  I'm on the notify list.  I'll post a message when it is available.

    • Marie
      Message 2 of 21 , May 20, 2014
        I preordered a hard copy on amazon, and it apparently shipped yesterday with an expected delivery date of tomorrow. I'm so excited!!!

        -Marie

        On May 20, 2014, at 6:18 PM, "byron.nevins@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I got an email from a Wilderness Press representative.  The book is coming out on Kindle soon.  I'm on the notify list.  I'll post a message when it is available.

      • debrabrownbear
        Message 3 of 21 , May 20, 2014
          Mine arrived from Amazon today. Looking forward to comparing it to the last edition. Debra
          Message 4 of 21 , May 21, 2014
            Mine came a few days ago also. Maps, pictures and format looks great - some major improvements over prior editions. Haven't had the chance to start reading it yet.  I'm hoping we get some reviewers and I'll try to collect the reviews in a folder somewhere for future reference.

          • sierranevada@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 21 , May 21, 2014
              First off, there are only North-South chapters now instead of duplicating the trail description from two directions.  I never saw the point in describing the trail from both directions.  This makes the book significantly thinner now - great for those who carry it.  The maps are MUCH better and are moved into the chapters instead of up front.  Still not quite as good as Erik the Black's atlas or a full sized trail map, but they are much more usable now.  Notably, the camp sites are on the maps.  The elevation profiles and mileage tables are pretty much the same, except the camp numbers are removed from the profiles.  There are panorama shots from passes with the surrounding peaks labeled - nice touch.  There's a table of access trails with the important info you need all in one spot to bail or plan a section hike.  There are nice little maps for the side trips to lakes and peaks.  New photos of course.  Scanning the trail text, it seems to be similar in scope and detail.

              Overall, it's much more organized and user friendly.  Nice upgrade and my friend appreciates the earlier version as a gift.
              Message 6 of 21 , May 21, 2014
                The other nice thing I noticed about the maps is that they photocopy well if you don't want to bring the whole book. I find the contours easier to read on the Wenk maps than on Erics (where they are muddy at least on my 1st edition, though he may have gotten a better printer for later editons), even after I photocopy the Wenk maps.

                Message 7 of 21 , May 22, 2014
                  I agree, ETB atlas print quality could be better, and the fonts are pretty darn small. But all the info is right there in a nice light package.
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 22, 2014
                    I agree that the ETB format is great. The combination of the Wink printed datapoints (see PDF linked below) plus maps (TH or copies from Wenk book) give the same or better data but you have to look back and forth between 2 sources, so less handy.

                    On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 6:26 AM, sierranevada@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I agree, ETB atlas print quality could be better, and the fonts are pretty darn small. But all the info is right there in a nice light package.

                  • lizzywenk
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 22, 2014
                      I tend to be a silent reader of posts, but I'll chime in to mention that a "databook" derivative of the main Wilderness Press JMT book will be available sometime this summer. It will include the maps, tables (from throughout the book), elevation profiles, panoramas, and just a few pages of introductory text with stripped-down information on obtaining permits and transport contacts. I'm guessing it will weigh about 1/4 to 1/3 as much as the main book.

                      Lizzy
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 22, 2014
                        Lizzie - That would be great! I'll be one of your first customers. Should be a great supplement to the Guidebook.

                      • kathair@...
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 1, 2014
                          Hi John. I thought there was a Kindle version but I am unable to locate it now. Have you heard anything on a new version?
                        • kathair@...
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 1, 2014
                            Sorry. Just saw the post that it is coming soon!
                          • kathair@...
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 1, 2014
                              Great! Was just searching for it.
                            • colin.brown
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 18, 2014
                                Hi!

                                Any new info? I start JMT in 12 days and a kindle version being available was part of my "big plan"! That and not getting blisters on my practice hikes. And so it goes...
                              • Jmt
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 18, 2014
                                  I'll also ask if there is a release date for the "data book?"

                                  Regards,
                                  Rob

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 19, 2014
                                    Information from the publisher's marketing rep.
                                    _

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 19, 2014
                                      Thanks, Roleigh!

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 19, 2014
                                        I bought the 5th edition and I am quite unhappy with some aspects of it. It will sadly be unusable on the trail.

                                        The data it contains is first rate, but a little scattered and disorganized. That is not really a problem though. It isn't really even inconvenient. I guess that it being a 5th revision, the author is so familiar with her content that she knows it intimately, and doesn't see how it comes across to a first time reader.

                                        The real problem for me, though, is that the writing on the maps and charts is *very* small - about 5- or 6-point at most. How small is that? *tiny* Sadly, it renders most of the maps and charts unreadable to many in their 50s+. Given the amount of white space on the charts, how hard would it have been to use a larger font?

                                        No disrespect to the author, because this is a layout problem. Great work ruined by poor presentation of the graphs and maps.

                                        Dave