Anyone Used Erik The Black's JMT Trail Atlas?

  • Jason Luban
    Message 1 of 12 , May 19, 2014
      Just wondering if any of you know about and/or have utilized this stuff. It's at http://blackwoodspress.com/john-muir-trail/maps/atlas/. I downloaded the free chapter and it looks pretty cool but wanted some feedback before I bought.

      -Jason
    • bjroach
      Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2014
        I have it and have used it.  It is a handy size with a lot of key information in one place.  My only issue with it is the font, size and coloring requires me to bring and use reading glasses.  I don't need reading glasses to read the Harrison maps.
      • Ray Rippel
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2014
          Good day, Jason,

          Recommend you check out this review:

          Good hiking, Ray

          Message 4 of 12 , May 19, 2014
            I prefer the Tom Harrison map pack (13 sheets) combined with a compressed list of the Wilderness Press datapoints (mile and elevation of all passes, trail junctions, crossings, campsites etc). Particularly used with a barometric altimeter, the combination makes navigation very easy,

            A compressed datapoint list was posted here yesterday. in case you missed it, here's another set of links to the PDF and Word versions

            More WP derived information here:

            I think the combination of TH maps and the datapoints listing gives you what you need.

            I like the ETB format but I find his printing too muddy to be able to read contour lines, which I like using in conjunction with a Suunto altimeter watch.

          • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 12 , May 19, 2014
              They are both great. For 1st timers I'd recommend the Harrison Maps, but for everyone else I like the size and easy access of info of Eric The Blacks Atlas.
            • Jason Luban

                Message 7 of 12 , May 19, 2014

                  I brought-and used- both when I hiked the JMT. I would do it that way again. The Atlas can show you potential water sources and camp spots; the maps show more of the area, more of the topo, and all the surrounding trails.

                • Jason Luban
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 19, 2014
                    Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.  Sounds like the 'both' method is preferred by most.  As a side note, I assume most of you print and carry rather than carry some e-device?

                    -Jason

                    On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM, 'Amy' nakedmittens@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I brought-and used- both when I hiked the JMT. I would do it that way again. The Atlas can show you potential water sources and camp spots; the maps show more of the area, more of the topo, and all the surrounding trails.

                  • ravi_jmt2013
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 19, 2014
                      I carried the Harrison map pack along with the trail descriptions from the Wenk guidebook.  I cut up the book and sent relevant pages in my resupplies.  I also cut out the pages with the summary of key points on the trail.  Overall, this provided all of the information I needed for very little weight.  I always knew where I was on the trail and what to expect ahead in terms of possible campsites, water, trail junctions, etc.  I find myself carrying quite a bit more weight in guidebooks and topo maps on other trails.
                    • cehauser1
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 19, 2014
                        Last year, I took the Harrison map pack, and the Wenk trail waypoints datasheets.  That was a dynamic duo, for me.   I think John Ladd just sent out the updated version of the Wenk datasheet.

                        Chris.

                        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ravi@...> wrote :

                        I carried the Harrison map pack along with the trail descriptions from the Wenk guidebook.  I cut up the book and sent relevant pages in my resupplies.  I also cut out the pages with the summary of key points on the trail.  Overall, this provided all of the information I needed for very little weight.  I always knew where I was on the trail and what to expect ahead in terms of possible campsites, water, trail junctions, etc.  I find myself carrying quite a bit more weight in guidebooks and topo maps on other trails.
                      • dkane1732
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 20, 2014
                          I'm only bringing the Harrison map pack, but I'm annotating them on the back with key information from the Wenk book, the Halfmile maps (here Halfmile's PCT Maps)

                            and RJ Secor's Peaks Passes and Trails (for side trips). Super light, but it will have tons of information once I'm finished.

                        • Jamie
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 21, 2014
                            What about the High Sierra Attitude app (formerly known as the Guthooks guide):
                            http://www.sierraattitude.com/john-muir-trail-hiker-version-2-0/

                            Any experience with this? I've used other Guthook's Guides (PCT, for instance) and really like them.

                            Jamie