Updated Master Spreadsheet for E. Wenk 5th Edition, John Muir Trail Guide Available Now

    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2014

      Hi

      The Yahoo JMT Group has received written permission to distribute a spreadsheet with the waypoints from the new Wilderness Press book, "John Muir Trail Guide, 5th  Edition" by Elizabeth Wenk.

      https://www.wildernesspress.com/product.php?productid=17090

      Assuming (see below paragraph) that you can browse this Yahoo JMT Group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/johnmuirtrail/info ), you will find it in our Links area (Yahoo limits Links collections to members). You will also find links to a kml (Google Earth) and two gpx (Garmin) files with the waypoints and a Route linking the waypoints North to South, for uploading to your GPS unit.

      Note: Yahoo lets you subscribe to groups without having a Yahoo Account but if you do that you are not able to download files, you want to have a Yahoo Account as well (since you are reading this, you are already subscribed to our group).  Getting a Yahoo Account does not require you to get a new email account.  Once you're setup and log in to your Yahoo Account, you can browse the Links and Files section of the JMT Yahoo Group.

      Any of the three below link instructions will get you to the 5th Edition JMT Book Files.  If you use this data, it is recommended that you also purchase a copy of the book to support the author and publisher, see below for details.

      or use this html link

      or use the Short link:

         http://tinyurl.com/ntjl4bn

      or Navigate to here

         Then click on "Maps and navigation" (ignore quotes)

         Then click on "_Wilderness Press waypoints and GPS files (2014 5th Edition)" (ignore quotes)

      How to obtain the 5th edition book (highly recommended):

      John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America's Most Famous Trail (John Muir Trail) (Paperback), 5th Edition, ISBN 978-0-89997-736-2, 256 pages, 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, $18.95 by Elizabeth Wenk, 2014

      https://www.wildernesspress.com/product.php?productid=17090

      Click here to find a local independent bookstore near you

      http://www.bookweb.org/

      or call 800-443-7227

      Click here to order from Amazon.com

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899977367/

      Click here to order the 5th edition from BarnesandNoble.com

      http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/john-muir-trail-elizabeth-wenk/1100309154?ean=9780899977362

      P.S., special thanks to Elizabeth Wenk and John Ladd for getting the spreadsheet together, it was a team effort with of course 99% of the effort due to Elizabeth and the last 1% a co-effort involving myself and John Ladd.  Last, special thanks to Wilderness Press for also granting permission for this in the beginning.

      Book reviews of the new book will be forthcoming.  I know of at least 3 in our Yahoo Group who plan book reviews (more are encouraged!).  I just got my copy in the mail today.

      Last, the files are for personal use. These data may not be used for commercial purposes. If you make a variant file for your own hike and share it with others, please credit the author, title, and download source of the Master Spreadsheet (which is our Yahoo group).   Any commercial use of the files should first obtain written permission directly from the author, Elizabeth Wenk and possibly her publisher. Contact information for the author is given on the first tab in the spreadsheet.  Any plans to upload this file to other locations, should send an email to both Elizabeth Wenk at the email address given in the spreadsheet and to johnmuirtrail_owner@yahoogroups.com

      Roleigh Martin                        John Ladd

      Lead Moderator                      Co-Moderator

      _

      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2014
        I have to give Roleigh a shout-out here. He got the original permission to distribute the 4th Edition spreadsheet and he's worked really hard (Lizzie also) to get this out soon enough for it to be useful to people this year. I did some proofreading, but not much more.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2014
          There was a problem with a link to the Wenk 5th Edition milepoint/elevation Spreadsheet. It apparently led at least some people to the older 4th edition spreadsheet.

          If you downloaded a waypoint spreadsheet recently, please check that you got a version where the cover page of the book (on the front tab of the SS) includes "5th Edition" in a black circle under the word "Trail" in the title and that all the waypoints are listed in N to S milepoint order, rather than listing all the campsites first.

          The error was mine, not Roleigh's. He was reliant on a link that I had made in the Links area of the group.

          Now all the links in Roleigh's original post (below) should be working. If anyone runs into the same or a similar problem please let me know.

        • cfpatton@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2014
            I dont know why but when I open up the file all I see is the picture of the book.  I cant seem to find the gps files or anything else.  I saved it and opened it up using excell and still nothing but the photo of the book.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2014
              Look at the bottom left of your excel window, there are tabs.  Change to a different tab.

              _