Grazing on Federal Lands

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2014
      Good morning,

      Recently, there has been a lot of news, from Nevada, about grazing rights on public property. As I read about the conflict I was immediately reminded of the Sierra Nevada, the late 1800s, and sheep.

      Sheep ranching has a long history in the state of California.  In 1880, there were in excess of four million of what John Muir would call “hoofed locusts”, more than in any other state in the union.

      Good hiking, Ray

      Ray Rippel
      Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail