New here

  • clayton.cassibry
    Message 1 of 18 , May 12, 2014

      Hello everyone! My name is Clayton, and my brother and I are planning a JMT trip for next summer. What are some tips that you can give to someone who has never done anything like this before? I have hiked before, but nothing on this scale. What equipment do you bring on a 20+ day hike? Should I use a water purifier or iodine capsules? What kind of diet do you suggest? Sorry for all the questions, but my brother and I are kind of new to this.

      Thanks!

      Clayton Cassibry

      Message 2 of 18 , May 12, 2014
        Clayton, welcome to the group.  Unlike some to many Yahoo Groups, our group has a rich library of files and links.  We have many uploads of gear lists, etc.  You should have received an overview of the files and links.  I find that those who peruse the files and links, then ask questions, typically come up with super great questions and create interesting threads.

        Note: you're able to subscribe to our group without a Yahoo Account but to be able to browse the files and links, you may need to create a Yahoo Account, you can tell Yahoo your existing email address is your existing email address, so it's not that you'll be creating a new email address.

        Roleigh
        Lead Moderator

        _

        Message 3 of 18 , May 12, 2014
          You might consider downloading this $7 PDF. It has lots of straightforward advice to people who haven't done this kind of trail before.

          There's also a lot of good advice collected here - you can skim over 100 pages of comments of people from a 2013 survey of JMT hikers and pause on the topics of most interest to you. http://bit.ly/JMTSurvey2013-02

          Your question is a bit too general to result in a good message thread. It's better to ask one question at a time (or a few closely-related ones) and use other resources for very broad inquiries - either the above or the Links and Files areas, as Roleigh just  suggested.

          John Ladd (co-moderator)

          On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM, clayton.cassibry@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hello everyone! My name is Clayton, and my brother and I are planning a JMT trip for next summer. What are some tips that you can give to someone who has never done anything like this before? I have hiked before, but nothing on this scale. What equipment do you bring on a 20+ day hike? Should I use a water purifier or iodine capsules? What kind of diet do you suggest? Sorry for all the questions, but my brother and I are kind of new to this.

          Thanks!

          Clayton Cassibry

        • Paul Myers

            Message 5 of 18 , May 12, 2014
              Paul, others.

              Some useful information appears in the sig line of all postings (I assume all postings).  Look for this line -- it has the link to the resupply spreadsheet that is updateable and urged for people to use and update.

              Update or view our member databases about packer-cost sharing, cell reception on the JMT, or see who else will be hiking the JMT when you do--all at http://tinyurl.com/JMT-DBs .

              _

              On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Paul Myers pablo20005683@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            • eric moss
              Message 6 of 18 , May 12, 2014
                This survery is worth its weight in gold -- thanks to all involved!  After seeing how many people suffered from cold in September, I'm definitely going to go "overboard" with a bag, knowing that if I wake up cold, it kills an entire day for me.  It won't stop me from picking some sort of layer for the day's hike and another layer in camp, but thinking I can under-spec the bag and make up for it by wearing everything (possibly dirty everything) has just been "debunked".

                On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Paul Myers pablo20005683@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                There's also a lot of good advice collected here - you can skim over 100 pages of comments of people from a 2013 survey of JMT hikers and pause on the topics of most interest to you. http://bit.ly/JMTSurvey2013-02

              • garyschlageter16
                Message 7 of 18 , May 12, 2014

                  John,

                  I tried linking to the bit.ly site, but no-go.  I even copied and pasted the URL, but still nada.

                  I wonder if it might be related to the data breach.

                  Please advise...

                  Regards,

                  Gary Schlageter

                  760-420-0135

                  P.S.  I'm planning the hike starting Sept 1 and

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 12, 2014
                    Paul - If you mean the spreadsheet where people try to share packers for on-trail resupplies, it's here. Roleigh put it together and it is shared with the Facebook group. Another version of the ink is

                    (I tend to use Bitly - Ropleigh uses tinyurl but they often lead to the same place)

                    Also, as Roleigh said, a link to the same place is at the end of all (most?) posts

                    On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Paul Myers pablo20005683@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    John,

                    Not sure who Clayton is, however I am looking for a resupply spreadsheet I hear is a resource y'all provide?

                  • jamarlei
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 12, 2014
                      hi there.. I am a bit confused I purchased this pdf file and it I see it deducted from my checking.. but have received no email from whoever or received a link to download.. guess i will wait a bit longer..
                      Julie
                    • Ray Rippel
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 12, 2014
                        Good day, Julie,

                        Not sure why you didn't get the link. Could you check your junk mail, perhaps.

                        I will contact you directly at the email address you used to purchase.

                        I'm very sorry about the delay.

                        Thanks, Ray Rippel

                        On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM, jamarlei@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        hi there.. I am a bit confused I purchased this pdf file and it I see it deducted from my checking.. but have received no email from whoever or received a link to download.. guess i will wait a bit longer..
                        Julie

                        __._,_.__
                      • Ray Rippel

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 17, 2014
                              This is a great forum for information.  Also, I highly recommend Backpackinglight.com.   This is a pay sight, but in my opinion the best value for the money were information, gear evaluation, and an incredible site for picking up used top-of-the-line gear from other hikers and world class adventurers — I kid you  not.

                              Luis (San Diego, CA)

                              From: "clayton.cassibry@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                              Date: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM
                              To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                              Subject: [John Muir Trail] New here

                              Hello everyone! My name is Clayton, and my brother and I are planning a JMT trip for next summer. What are some tips that you can give to someone who has never done anything like this before? I have hiked before, but nothing on this scale. What equipment do you bring on a 20+ day hike? Should I use a water purifier or iodine capsules? What kind of diet do you suggest? Sorry for all the questions, but my brother and I are kind of new to this.

                              Thanks!

                              Clayton Cassibry

                            • Arla Hile
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 23, 2014
                                The best tip I can give you is to get as much experience as you can with your equipment. You will be more comfortable when you're actually on your feet and hiking with lighter gear (who wouldn't rather have 20 lbs vs. 40 lbs in their pack?), but at some point you might sacrifice some camp comfort with the lightest gear (e.g., really thin and short closed-cell foam sleeping pads weighing a few oz vs. nice thick Thermarest pads weighing more than a pound - all well and good until you realize you aren't sleeping). Lightweight gear also might require a little more care, and some requires a little more skill (e.g., clicking the Piezo igniter on your Jetboil stove vs. fiddling with a cat can stove in windy conditions). Making these decisions is very individual, and different people can have wildly different preferences about everything from socks to hiking poles to tents to backpacks. Personally, I've found that I've been able to go lighter only after gaining the skillsets I've needed, and believe me I've made a bunch of errors along the way.

                                The Backpacking Light website is a great source of information. There, you'll have access to product reviews and helpful information such as other people's packing lists. Much of the great gear is made by small, mom-n-pop businesses so you will need to seek them out online and you can get that info on Backpacking Light.

                                Water treatment...sigh...I wish there was a perfect answer. Filter (heavy, filter can clog although I'd be shocked if that happened along the JMT assuming you're using proper care), treat with chemicals (chlorine dioxide seems to be more popular than iodine, but some people are wary of using chemicals, and there's some concern about how well these work in all conditions), treat with UV light (batteries can fail - my understanding of the newer models is they're more bulletproof) or just drink it (good luck) are your choices. You'll find people doing all of those things out there (probably not too many people drinking untreated water, but there are a handful, I always wonder if they're Giardia carriers, heh). Personally, I use chlorine dioxide tablets in the Sierra because they're lightweight and I'm lazy, but that's because I don't really notice the taste or smell and I figure that I'm already exposed to all sorts of nasty chemicals on a daily basis. Everywhere else I filter. Many many people swear by their UV pens. Read up and make your own choice, but again, I highly recommend that you field-test your chosen method of water treatment. I read rave reviews of the Sawyer Squeeze filter and was disappointed with it during a quick weekend trip.

                                Cheers,
                                Arla

                                From: "clayton.cassibry@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                Date: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM
                                To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                                Hello everyone! My name is Clayton, and my brother and I are planning a JMT trip for next summer. What are some tips that you can give to someone who has never done anything like this before? I have hiked before, but nothing on this scale. What equipment do you bring on a 20+ day hike? Should I use a water purifier or iodine capsules? What kind of diet do you suggest? Sorry for all the questions, but my brother and I are kind of new to this.

                                Thanks!
                                Clayton Cassibry

                              • mike david
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 28, 2014
                                  Hi Aria,

                                  Why were you disappointed on the Sawyer filter? I just bought one and used it on a 4 day trip on Isle Royale and a 3 day trip in the Porkey's. I also have a First Need that did a terrific job but was very heavy and more pron to clogging. I had a MSR Sweetwater that never worked right. So far I am happy with my Sawyer. The only thing I notice is you get some of the color from the water but the taste is good. Never had to back flush it in the field, just waited until I was home. Most of the complaints I seen were about the bags breaking. A lot of people seem to be squeezing them hard. I was going to buy the Platypus filter however the REI staff talked me into the Sawyer.

                                  Mike

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 28, 2014
                                    Mike,
                                    The bags that come with it are really hard to fill, of course you can solve that by bringing a scoop but that's just another Thing to bring. Second, and worse, is that I filtered the water into my Platy and could see particulates! I figured that if I could see stuff in there, then microscopic buggies would definitely get through. Maybe I had a defective unit. I don't think I squeezed too hard, at any rate, I didn't experience bag failure. I had previously used a Katadyn Vario and didn't have that problem but the darn thing weighs about a lb. and there are only two of us going on this trip. If there are a few of you a larger filter starts to make more sense.

                                    Arla

[...]

                                  • beth.bill
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 28, 2014
                                      I've been using the sawyer regular squeeze and mini for the past few years and have never noticed any particles passing through it.  For a scoop, I just used cut-off old 2L platy that weight about one once.  The corners of the cut platy works very well for both collecting from very small springs or cracks in rocks and also for pouring easily into the squeeze bag.  I use the evernew water carry bags for squeezing and have never had a failure.

                                    • mike david
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 29, 2014
                                        Arla,

                                        Yes, it is some times hard to fill the bags. I have (2) 64 ounce bags. If I get them three quarters full, I am happy. I have never seen anything in the water. That is scary.