What's your favorite calorie-packed snack?

  • jerome provensal
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
      Hi folks,
      Yesterday, I went to the store and bought a few of the snacks I typically enjoy when I exercise to see which ones are the most calorie-packed for my upcoming JMT trip.

      What I discovered is that your typical Snickers-type bars aren't actually the ones with the highest calories count per gram.
      In my quest, I found out that the 2 snacks with the highest caloric density (in my limited sample) are:
      • Trader Joe's Candied Pecans with a whopping 6.8 cal/g (192 cal/oz) Inline image 1
      • Sprouts' peanut brittle with 6.1 cal/g (171 cal/oz)
      As a comparison, Snickers is 4.7 cal/g ((134 cal/oz).
      The fact that a serving (1oz/28g) of TJ's candied pecans also packs 5g (20% of daily needs) of dietary fiber  doesn't hurt either.
      It has less than 1g of protein on the other hand. It can't have it all, I guess.

      To counterbalance the lack of protein, I'll be taking some Balance yogurt money peanut bar. which are tiny bars (1.5x the size of a Zippo lighter) with 15 g of protein! Inline image 2

      Your turn...
      What's your favorite JMT snack for calories (fiber?) and protein?

      Thanks.

      Jérôme  Blog / FB / LinkedIn / IG / Tumblr /
    • thruhiker1
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
        I have been using ProBars the last year for long backpacking trips and working as a ski instructor.  I normally eat the Superfood Slam which is

        4.5 cal/g
        10 grams of protein
        6 grams of fiber
        20 grams of fat

        I am not a strict calorie counter but I try to have a minimum of 100 calories per ounce.  More important to me is how the food makes me feel and I haven't found anything that gives me more energy for the day.  I have almost completely stopped eating sandwiches for lunch on the trail and eat these instead.  Got tired of the food comma meat and cheese caused me midday.

        Phillip
      • John
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
          Nutella 5.4 cal/gram (154 cal/oz)!!

          Great for spreading on that supply of Cliff bars that are no longer palatable a week into your JMT trip!

          John M.

          On Apr 27, 2014, at 1:24 PM, jerome provensal <jerome@...> wrote:

          Hi folks,
          Yesterday, I went to the store and bought a few of the snacks I typically enjoy when I exercise to see which ones are the most calorie-packed for my upcoming JMT trip.

          What I discovered is that your typical Snickers-type bars aren't actually the ones with the highest calories count per gram.
          In my quest, I found out that the 2 snacks with the highest caloric density (in my limited sample) are:
          • Trader Joe's Candied Pecans with a whopping 6.8 cal/g (192 cal/oz) <image.jpeg>
          • Sprouts' peanut brittle with 6.1 cal/g (171 cal/oz)
          As a comparison, Snickers is 4.7 cal/g ((134 cal/oz).
          The fact that a serving (1oz/28g) of TJ's candied pecans also packs 5g (20% of daily needs) of dietary fiber  doesn't hurt either.
          It has less than 1g of protein on the other hand. It can't have it all, I guess.

          To counterbalance the lack of protein, I'll be taking some Balance yogurt money peanut bar. which are tiny bars (1.5x the size of a Zippo lighter) with 15 g of protein! <image.jpeg>

        • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
            Unfortunately I'm a 'junk food' person on the trail ; ) ! I don't normally eat like I do on the trail, but I'm also not always putting in 22-30 miles a day at home either! For those high mile days, I have found Maltodextren to be my 'friend', but I have to watch it in my diet at home. I use a lot of Hammer Nutrition products: Perpetuem Cafe Latte for breakfast and a Orange Vanilla for a mid-day boost, 2 Hammer Bars, and Recoverite and the end of the day for the Glutamine. I also bring the Hammer Enduryte Fizztabs for a little flavor and electrolytes throughout the day. I love Mike & Ikes, Good & Plenty, Pay Day bars, and Peanut M&M's. I bring peanut butter and jelly packs to spread on tortillas for lunch, and 1 freezer bag cooked meal at night.  Throw in the little sausage/cheese combo packs, and Emerg-N-C packs, and that about covers it.

            I find I don't have an appetite the first two days, and then when it kicks in, I can eat anything you put in front of me! One of the good things about when I go NOBO on the JMT, is by the time I get to Reds, I can devour that double cheeseburger with no problem.
          • richardandjoslyn
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
              I love putting a ton of beef jerky in my pack.  I'm not ever really sure how many calories or grams of protein are in it because I make it at home.  I also like chocolate covered almonds, which I know have a high calorie count and the chocolate keeps the almonds from being too dry.

              Joslyn
            • jerome provensal

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                  Nutella! The breakfast of champions. Even though I was born and raised in EU, I never really developed a taste for Nutella. I find it too "oily rich" if it makes sense.
                  Not easy to eat while on-the-go, either.
                  But I see how people can be addicted to it.

                  Thanks John.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                    Thanks Robert.
                    Maltodextren, Perpetuem, Enduryte, Glutamine, Recoverite... Sounds like a chemical lab experiment! :-)

                    I'm probably going to use your PB&J on tortillas approach for  lunch as well.
                    I'm planning to only "cook" a warm meal at night while I'll eat cold cereal (with coconut milk powder) + a hot coffee for breakfast and a lot of snacks throughout the day.
                    I also have a sweet tooth for Good & Plenty which seems to be how you approach your millage on the JMT...

                    Thanks for the good info.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                      I get that response a lot ;) !! When I read it aloud, it doesn't seem like much to me either, but it seems to fuel me alright. I picked up a lot of my diet from a fellow fastpacker that was a mentor of mine, and it's just kind of stuck, for better or worse! I'm also basically a lazy food preparation guy, so simple, quick, and easy clean up work well for me.
                    • Sonya Dickinson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014

                        I'm a big fan of ProBars (I think someone else said this as well) - delicious and high in calories.  Superfood Slam, chocolate peanut butter, oatmeal raisin...they're all amazingly good.  I also like Payday bars, crackers and cheese, and fruit & nut bars from Costco (I forget the name of them).

                        I hadn't thought about adding Nutella to bars...great idea!

                        Sonya

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                          On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM, jerome provensal <jerome@...> wrote:
                          . Even though I was born and raised in EU, I never really developed a taste for Nutella. I find it too "oily rich" if it makes sense.

                          I find straight Nutella is too sweet for me and the oiliness is probably also part of my problem with it.

                          But if I take a jar about half full of Nutella and press a bunch of almonds or macadamia nuts into it so I end up with a full jar that is about half Nutella and half nuts I get something that tastes less sweet and less oily and I really enjoy it. Since the nuts are even higher calories per ounce than the Nutella -- 204/oz for the macadamias -- the mix ends up about 170 calories per ounce. Mostly I have it for a snack before bed though I can have mid-day also.

                          Probably the most disgustingly good thing I eat is to field mix some ghee (or clarified butter) with some maple syrup about 50-50 and eat it with a spoon. I carry both ingredients anyway (mostly for breakfasts) but if I need a way big calorie boost a few tablespoons of that mixture can be pretty heavenly. I've also done it with the ghee and brown sugar and it could certainly be done with ghee and maple sugar. Calories about 160 per ounce.

                          Dried mangoes are surprisingly high in calories per ounce (highest of any dried fruit I've found). Different brands have different calorie counts but you can get to about 100 and it's a ice break from really oily things like Nutella and my sweetened ghee. You can also pack them very tightly by pressing a bunch of them into a tight stack and then trimming the whole thing into a big cube (the trim parts end up added to hot cereal - the flat parts as snacks.

                          If I want a quick sugar rush, I really like any of the various sesame-honey candies. They also vary from brand to brand but you can get 150 calories per ounce. I particularly like the individually wrapped Joyva Sesame Honey Crunch like you see at this page which are 150. Because they are small and individually wrapped, they fit in the nooks and crannies of a bearcan.

                          If you really want to go all weird, get some Lardo, the gourmet version of salt pork. It's cured roughly the same was as a traditional prosciutto but uses just the fat portion of the hog - aka white prosciutto. The taste is roughly the same as if you popped a little of the fat portion of a slice of prosciutto on your tongue. About 220 calories per ounce. It can taste really, really good if sliced thin. Quite trail stable when carried unsliced (as is salt pork but I find salt pork kind of disgusting other than in very small quantities).

                          I love thinking about trail food. 8 weeks to go for me.

                        • Bill Heiser
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                          I'm a fan of ProBars too.  As someone else mentioned, I too use them as my primary "lunch" while out on the trail.  There are a bunch of different flavors, so at least in theory it helps ward off getting too tired of a specific flavor.  In reality, at least on a long trip, they tend to all seem the same :).  Still (even on a 30-day trip) they're something I looked forward to for my mid day meal.  A few times, when I was either too tired, or weather didn't permit making a regular dinner, they even sufficed then.

                          April 27, 2014 at 4:07 PM

                          I'm a big fan of ProBars (I think someone else said this as well) - delicious and high in calories.  Superfood Slam, chocolate peanut butter, oatmeal raisin...they're all amazingly good.  I also like Payday bars, crackers and cheese, and fruit & nut bars from Costco (I forget the name of them).

                          I hadn't thought about adding Nutella to bars...great idea!

                          Sonya

                          April 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM

[...]

                      • kellymelissaray
                        Message 13 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                          OK, I'll bite. (No pun intended.)

                          Where can one find lardo?  A specialty meat store, perhaps?

                          I imagine it would have some non-snack applications as well.

                          Message 14 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                             Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM, <kelly.m.sanderson@...> wrote:

                            OK, I'll bite. (No pun intended.)

                            Where can one find lardo?  A specialty meat store, perhaps?

                            Easiest if you live in San Francisco because the salumi maker has an outlet in the Ferry Building. But you can, apparently, order online. Not cheap (esp. for the online orders) but you don't need a lot of it

                            They advise refrigeration but I've had OK luck up to a few weeks.

                            In addition to eating it straight, you can dice it and add to any soup or stew-like meal.

                          • Inga Aksamit
                            Message 15 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                              Reading your comment about the peanut brittle reminded me of something I read in some book about doing the PCT and the author was careful to not bring foods that might be more likely to break a tooth. Not something we always think about but a dental emergency on the trail would not be fun.

                              Inga Aksamit
                              Mobile: 415-470-1812
                              Email: Iaksamit@...
                              Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
                              About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
                            • jerome provensal
                              Message 16 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                                Hi John,
                                I have to try your "nutty Nutella" technique and see how I like.
                                Re: ghee, it just happened that I bought a small bottle from Trader Joe's a couple of weeks back. I can't see myself eating it by the spoon, with or without sugar... but I'll give it a try anyway... sugar+butter=caramel after all.
                                Lardo, on the other hand might be beyond my tolerance threshold... I typically remove the white part of the prosciutto and so I can't imagine eating it by itself.

                                As usual, thanks for the good info, John!

                                On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

[...]

                              • Chip
                                Message 17 of 22 , Apr 28, 2014
                                  I have used Bear Valley Pemican Bars as an energy snack on many hikes. I can't seem to find them locally any more so I buy them online at www.mealpack.com. I usually break off a chunk throughout the day when I stop for a long break. Each block has from 400 to 440 calories depending on which flavor you pick. I've used some that I bought for one years hike the following year with no ill effect. Some people find them very dry and somewhat hard to chew, these two factors and don't bother me. I plan on having a few of these in my MTR food bucket I get a lot of energy from them and they are relatively small.

                                  I'll also use some commercial energy bars, I look for ones with a lot of protein. I'll also have gorp as a snack for some of the days. It is important to have variety in you food to keep things interesting.

                                  One more thought on the Nutella thread. I'm thinking of fortifying regular Peanut Butter and Chocolate Peanut Butter with peanut butter powder PB2 that I found in my local health food store. I'm hoping to dry up some of the excess oil and add more protein with this idea. I have to admit I have not tried this yet but plan to on one of my shakedown hikes. I have had the Chocolate PB on tortillas for lunch on the trail before and it was a nice lunch that satisfied my sweet tooth.

                                  Chip
                                • Rick Jernberg
                                  Message 18 of 22 , Apr 28, 2014
                                    Polvoron shortbread cookies from a Asian/Filopino stores has 140 cal/oz.  Tasty, very small and individually wrapped. They're crumbly, so may need to be "reformed" into a cookie shape. They may be sold in other stores as well.
                                    Rick

                                  • jerome provensal
                                    Message 19 of 22 , Apr 28, 2014
                                      Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.
                                      My wife is Filipina (well, born in the US of Filipino parents) and I'll ask her where I can find such cookies. I don't remember seeing them at family functions...

                                      On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Rick Jernberg <rpjernberg@...> wrote:

                                      Polvoron shortbread cookies from a Asian/Filopino stores has 140 cal/oz.  Tasty, very small and individually wrapped. They're crumbly, so may need to be "reformed" into a cookie shape. They may be sold in other stores as well.
                                      Rick

                                    • Arla Hile
                                      Message 20 of 22 , Apr 29, 2014
                                        Fritos! 160 cal per oz. Crunchy Cheetos! 150 cal/oz. This is stuff I never, ever eat otherwise. Almost all fat calories, no redeeming nutritional value, but easy to get down if your appetite is failing you. Just smash and repackage.

                                        +1 on the dried mango. It always ended up being the thing I pick out of the mixed tropical fruit bag, so now I just buy the mango alone.

                                        Arla

                                      • casey.cox@att.net

                                          Message 22 of 22 , Apr 29, 2014
                                            Hi Casey,
                                            I never really cared for Fritos.
                                            I love (potato) chips or even better vegetable "chips" (Trader Joe's Veggie Sticks) or the completely addicting "Inner Peas": http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=1187
                                            But all are cursed with the issue of not being easily packable and too easily crushed.