Knee strengthening exercises?

  • nancybazilchuk@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 26 10:46 PM

      Hi all,

      I'm looking for some good knee-strengthening exercises that I can do in addition to my other training (hiking, biking, running some).  Any recommendations most welcome. We're taking 25 days SOBO so our mileages won't be that high, but after 58 years of pounding my knees in various outdoor pursuits, I'm a little worried that I will have knee trouble if I don't do some extra exercises. we start July 9.

      Nancy

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 26 11:07 PM
        " I'm a little worried that I will have knee trouble if I don't do some extra exercises. "

        Nancy,

        I have absolutely no medical experience––or whatever they say as a disclaimer––but you might find that doing some extra exercises might not actually be good for you.

        If you're "hiking, biking, running some" then that might be just the ticket, as well as just taking your time. If you start taking on some very specific exercises, like someone says do 50 squats a day or use this or that machine, you might just be targeting such a specific area that you tweak something out.

        No need to mess yourself up trying something new just before you're about to get on the trail––but if you do anything, you might just start carrying a backpack on some of these walks that you do, just to get the body, the knees, used to carrying the load.

        BOB SHATTUCK

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 26 11:26 PM
        Nancy, I injured my knee in a hiking accident in 2011 but have been able to do an annual JMT in all the years since then.  I have done a lot of research on knee rehabilitation and health.  I posted a lot of it in a recent posting months ago but since Yahoo does not save embedded pictures on the web (a defect in their web archive of messages, I'm re-attaching that posting in PDF form).

        _

        On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM, <nancy.bazilchuk@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        I'm looking for some good knee-strengthening exercises that I can do in addition to my other training (hiking, biking, running some).  Any recommendations most welcome. We're taking 25 days SOBO so our mileages won't be that high, but after 58 years of pounding my knees in various outdoor pursuits, I'm a little worried that I will have knee trouble if I don't do some extra exercises. we start July 9.

        Nancy

      • Adam Bearson
        Message 4 of 17 , Apr 27 7:25 AM
          Hi Nancy,

          No I am not a doctor, but I have had terrible knees (Two reconstructions on each of my anterior cruciate ligaments, no medial miniscus for twenty-five years, arthritis) and constant pain for most of my life. Descending is much worse than climbing. Remember that all pain is related to inflammation and that controlling inflammation is the key. This is what I do:
          1. Lose weight before my trip. I try not to bring extra pounds as this strongly affects my knees.
          2. My son carries a heavier pack to help save my knees. I carry under 28lbs.
          3. I wear a knee strap below each knee cap. It seems to relieve pressure.
          4. I wear thick socks or liners and use gel insoles.
          5. I use trail runners instead of heavier boots.
          6. Of course I use treking poles.
          7. When hiking multiple days with weight I take a daily does of Alleve (Naproxin) or IB Profrouen.
          8. Although I do exercises for strength (squats) the most important thing for me is to make sure my Illotobial band is soft. This is probably the most important thing I do for my knees and back (I also have two herniated discs). You can use a roller, yoga, or massage it with strong pressure or look up IT band stretches on YouTube. This band, which runs from our calf to our lower backs gets tight as we age and it is the cause of many back and knee issues. Although it may seem counter intuitive, relaxing, softening this muscle rather than strengthening is critical.
          9. Take frequent breaks. I take my pack off and let it rest for five minutes once an hour.
          10. Practice descending with a pack on. Some people believe that this makes it worse. But for me it seems to get better as long as I don't go too long in one day. Your knee may have a maximum or optimum number of miles that you should go each day. Discover that number and don't over due it.

          We will be on the trail July 15th. Hope to see you and others!

          Adam
        • Loren Dacanay
          Message 5 of 17 , Apr 27 8:48 AM
            Nancy,

            Here's what I did for three Philmont treks with my Boy Scouts....not as much climb and descent...but it did the trick.
            Before you really start to focus on knees, you should be sure of a couple of things: 1) minimize your weight as much as possible...sounds like you are active..but the pounding your knees will take is directly related to how much they have to bear...2) minimize your pack weight...get on the lightweight bandwagon to the degree that makes sense to you...3) make sure you have good solid core strength..you might want to consult internet sources or a fitness expert for ideas. 4). Set up workouts that EVENLY develop muscle groups...focus on opposing groups like quads vs hamstrings and focus on even development. Estimate you toughest climb days in terms of steps and elevation...start out easy. Gradually increase workouts so that you are hitting about 1/3 to 2/3 of your hardest days on a regular but NOT continuous basis...maybe 2-3 times per week of 2/3 difficulty just prior to start day....ensure ample rest and recover....lots of regular fluid intake.

            I am thinking of compression tights after hard workouts to aid recovery and for on the trail...any thoughts?

            Sent from my iPad
            Loren Dacanay
            Lorendacanay24@...
          • berdomb
            Message 6 of 17 , Apr 27 11:12 AM
              I dont think knee problems are so much due to lack of strength, as they are to lack of conditioning of the tendons to repetitive stress.

              In a nutshell, I think running is about the absolute best thing you can do to condition knees.  As long as you dont take it so far that it starts to injure them.
            • thruhiker1
              Message 7 of 17 , Apr 27 5:08 PM
                I have become a loyal fan of balance board exercises.  They definitely help with knee issues.   I started using one last fall for injury prevention as a ski instructor but I am hoping my work pays off by reducing knee issues and pain on this year's hikes, which I experienced for the first time last season.

                Wall Squats with an exercise ball also seem to help by strengthening the quads.

                I like the to focus on exercises I can do at home as I am not reliable when it comes to gym workouts.

                Best of luck.  Experiencing my first knee pains last year was a humbling wake up call to my changing body.  My 35 year old body takes a lot more precautionary work then my 19 year old body did when I first started long distance backpacking.

                Phillip
              • rfschillo
                Message 8 of 17 , Apr 27 5:23 PM
                  I do more running than hiking. It has been my experience that running can cause knee problems. Running can strengthen the muscles on one side of the knee more than the other. This causes the knee to not track properly. There is actually a name for this condition, "runner's knee". Some use a patella strap to help make the knee track properly. My doctor recommended exercises to strengthen both sides of the knee equally. My knee pain was gone in a short time. Not sure if hiking can cause the same condition but If it can then a patella strap or these exercises may be helpful.

                  Sent from my iPad
                • dj_ayers
                  Message 9 of 17 , Apr 27 5:45 PM
                    There are, of course, many knee strengthening exercises.  Rather than tell you my favorite, I think it is better to suggest a session with a licensed personal trainer.  That way you can get a decent assessment of your situation and advice that fits you, not me.
                  • Bill Heiser
                    Message 10 of 17 , Apr 27 6:02 PM
                    Interesting thread about strengthening knees, as they can be really problematic when dealing with lots of "steps" on the trail.

                    I'm curious what people think about strengthening *ankles* ... a notoriously problematic area for me.  It's wayyy too easy to roll an ankle.  The results can range from "uncomfortable" to "disastrous".

                    April 27, 2014 at 5:45 PM

                    There are, of course, many knee strengthening exercises.  Rather than tell you my favorite, I think it is better to suggest a session with a licensed personal trainer.  That way you can get a decent assessment of your situation and advice that fits you, not me.

                    April 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM

                  Message 11 of 17 , Apr 27 6:05 PM
                    Nancy

                    The advice you've gotten about stretching, personal trainers, etc., are all good.  But let me tell you something more, the author of the book, Saving my Knees, went from a total bone-on-bone arthritic invalid to being a competitive cyclist again (I don't know how competitive though, it's his self-reporting), by doing two years of journal-monitored micro-joint exercising using his "extensive squatting like I'm on the moon" program.  The author reports that licensed physical therapists and orthopedic doctors are ignorant about micro-joint exercising.  That would probably include personal trainers too.

                    My only criticism of the book is that you have to read through a ton of fluff to get to the meat of the book, and for sure, he could have condensed the meat to a short magazine article.

                    A licensed physical therapist I've talked to about the book says one can simulate the author's "moon setup" via a leg press machine too.  From personal experience I would say the two are not 100% identical but close.

                    Roleigh

                    _

                      Message 13 of 17 , Apr 27 6:16 PM
                      Thanks, Roleigh, I will check that out.

                      April 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

                      Bill, my pdf attachment is as much about ankle strengthening as it is knee strengthening.  Spend the $13 to get the great ankle strap I linked to at amazon.  It's an essential item I use everytime I go to the gym.

                      Roleigh

                      _

                      April 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM
[...]

                    • dr.suuz_2013
                      Message 14 of 17 , Apr 27 6:47 PM
                        There are some excellent exercises to strengthen muscles that support the knee (quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteals) on this British website: http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/knee-strengthening-exercises.html.
                      • dj_ayers
                        Message 15 of 17 , Apr 28 10:11 AM
                          Like for knees, I've done many things over the years for ankles.  Here are some:  inline (speed) skating;  one leg balancing (OLB) on a BOSU ball (both sides);  OLB on a wobble board;  OLB on a balance board;  slide board training;  weighted single leg calf raises (minimal or no hand support);  weighted single leg toe ups (minimal hand support);  deliberate climbing/descending on rough surfaces;  playing sports that stress the ankles (basketball, tennis);  etc.

                          Not all are for the same purpose (some are for endurance, some for strength, forward/back, side-to-side, etc.)  But I have no way of saying whether some or all of these might be right for you ...
                        • nancybazilchuk@rocketmail.com
                          Message 16 of 17 , Apr 28 10:43 PM
                            Hi all, thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I am cautiously amping up my runnung and trying to do a few exercises/stretches for my knees and ITB, which has also been a little problem after a particularly vigorous workout. But I'm at a good weight, my pack should be relatively light and I've got two months to get stronger, so hope to see some of you at least on the trail!

                            Nancy
                            Message 17 of 17 , Apr 28 11:48 PM
                              Thanks for the links!  After doing a complex tear of my left knee meniscus in 2011 I have been doing 3 years of a combination of prolotherapy (standard, PRP, stem-cell), micro-joint exercising, and standard weight lifting/ankle strap isometric/anerobic exercising of the whole knee/calf/ankle system (along with the rest of the body), it's enabled me to continue to do an annual JMT hike each year now continuously since 2008.

                              _