Tuolumne Backpackers' Campground

  • lindabethn
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014

      On the Yosemite Park website, it indicates that the backpackers' campground at Tuolumne Meadows is only open in July. Is that true? If so, where can people camp near TM? I was counting on camping there but I'm starting in late June. Thanks.

    • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014
        It does open early in low snow years, but they don't reserve anything until July to allow for whatever snowpack for the season is and when Tioga Road opens up. Here is a link to the historical opening dates for various Yosemite campgrounds:

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014
          "On the Yosemite Park website, it indicates that the backpackers' campground at Tuolumne Meadows is only open in July?"

          this is a good one and a possible small dilemma . . . How late in June?

          http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm

          It also states that the valley BC is open starting in April, so maybe the idea is a practical one in that T M is perhaps under a good bit of snow in usually in June, while the valley has very little left?

          Ahhh, the beauty of late August.

          I can't see them turning you away, but if for some reason you really can't stay there. I'd make a day of getting from Cathedral lakes and all the way up through Lyell Canyon to at least legal camping at the Vogelsang junction.

          Not to upset the purists, but if I was pressed with a task such as this, I might just cheat this section––come down from Cathedral, hit 120 and take the free shuttle all the way to the JMT trailhead at the yosemite lodge parking lot––of course you could stop at the store and ranger station just to ask about the B C, pick up a resupply and get a burger, then jump on the next bus––this would save you about six or so miles and the time.

          BOB SHATTUCK

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014
            Backpackers who are passing thro camp there anyway but there may not be any facilities open, including store or post office.

            On Apr 26, 2014, at 7:40 PM, <rnperky@...> wrote:

            It does open early in low snow years, but they don't reserve anything until July to allow for whatever snowpack for the season is and when Tioga Road opens up. Here is a link to the historical opening dates for various Yosemite campgrounds:

          • KEVIN L
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014
              I stayed there before it opened last yr and I didn't have any problem with the ranger. I did put $ in the slot anyway.