Freeze-dried food sources?

  • abearson
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
      Does anybody have a good source for yummy freeze-dried food. I find local providers expensive and wonder if anyone has found better deals or favorite suppliers. Thank you!
      Adam
    • casey.cox@att.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
        The website wildernessdining.com probably has the most comprehensive offering single serving freeze-dried and dehydrated foods.  They have just about every producer represented, usually at prices below what you find at REI.  Another site is beprepared.com.  They tend more toward emergency preparedness and sell a lot of foods in bulk containers, mostly #10 size cans.  They also have single serve packaging.  You will discover there is more than just 8 flavors of freeze-dried dinner while exploring these sites.  Other items like single serve condiments of all kinds by the serving.  They also have things like freeze-dried tomatoes, cheese and salsa in single serve packaging.  With the variety of foods I've found at these sites I've begun to prepare my own meals to suit my taste and needs.  Have been using both of these sites for years, customer service and shipping is great.

        I buy a lot of the freeze-dried meats like chicken, ground beef, and sausage crumbles (almost 200 calories per oz.) in the #10 can, then, add it to other meals.  Sausage crumbles work really well in oatmeal, cream of wheat, or freeze-dried eggs  boosting the calories (and flavor) quite a bit.
        I use the cup of soup packages for flavor/bullion, 1 chicken noodle, 1 cream of chicken, some noodles/pasta of my choice, and a handful of chicken.  I can make as large or small a meal as I need.  Often I'll split a single serve freeze-dried meal in half and add in extra meat to make two dinners.  Haven't just eaten a freeze-dried meal from the package without enhancing it by adding some other food to for many years.

        Casey

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
          Thank you, Casey!
        • robow8
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
            Harmony House has a good selection, as does Honeyville Grains, although with Honeyville, most of their stuff is in #10 cans. And since most of it is individual ingredients, you get to make up your own meals!
          • bill cathey
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
              I like Packit Gourmet:

              On Apr 17, 2014, at 9:31 AM, <abearson@...> wrote:

              Does anybody have a good source for yummy freeze-dried food. I find local providers expensive and wonder if anyone has found better deals or favorite suppliers. Thank you!

              Adam

            • outdoorsyarchivist
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
                I second looking at Harmony House! We just got one of the backpacking kits to have around for our earthquake kit (it IS southern California), and I'm thinking about ordering more of their stuff for the summer. it's pretty substantial looking and also comes with a nifty rehydration chart too. I also ordered a few soups and I'll be curious to try them out.
              • Chip
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
                  I've used WWW.LDPCAMPINGFOOD.COM as my source for freeze dried food they carry different brands of camping food. I've also bought just freeze dried meat in bulk #10 can and added freeze dried vegetables from www.justtomatoes.com. I've mixed the meat and vegetables with noodles, rice, etc from Knorr Sides or instant mashed potatoes. If the side recommends milk and or butter I use Nido powdered whole milk and Butter Buds.

                  One of my favorite deserts is pudding. I mix the Nido powder and 1/2 of a box instant NO COOK pudding in a ziplock bag. In camp I add 1 cup of cold water, mix the lumps out then shake the bag (make an air pocket) for about 1 minute. Set aside while you eat your meal for it to jell. Eat it right out of the bag for a great sweet treat.
                • Colin Brown
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                    I think you forgot the S.

                    CRB

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                      Did my post from yesterday about wildernessdining.com or beprepared.com come up on the site?  These are both good sources for freeze-dried and dehydrated foods I've been using for years.

                      Casey
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                        If you live in or near San Francisco, try Rainbow Coop Grocery - in the East Bay try Berkeley Bowl. No freeze dried but lots of bulk dried foods that you can make into good meals without the hassle of home dehydrating. In general, traditionally dried foods are similar to freeze-dried in calories per ounce while being about half the volume per ounce, meaning more fits in the bearcan.

                        Trader Joes Harvest Grains Blend can also play a role in lots of trail cooking.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 19, 2014
                          Yes, thank you.
                        • Bill Blake
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 21, 2014
                            What does a #10 can mean? How much food is that and the weight listed on this gourmet site is that for the whole #10 or per cup. It list cups and weight. Sorry if I sound stupid I just want to try thus option but Dont want to over buy or not enough.

[...]

                          • Kim Fishburn

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 22, 2014
                              • debrabrownbear
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 22, 2014
                                  I just remembered that on my first TYT/JMT section hike, when I was 17, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we actually used empty #10 cans to cook in, over open fires. We made our own jerky and hard tack, and carried Hershey's tropical chocolate bars (didn't melt) that we bought at an Army surplus shop. We saw bears almost daily. My pack was 50 lbs. And those #10 "Billie" cans were a bitch to clean. I remember them holding about 8 cups.Debra
                                • Kim Fishburn
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 22, 2014
                                    The last time I saw #10 cans was one morning in the Carson Iceburg, when I went down to the creek to get water and saw something on the other side. I went over to look and found a pile of food that some horse packers had just left on the ground. Turn out it was food for a trail crew, only they didn't show up till the morning after I saw it laying on the ground. The problem was that bears found the food and tore into it overnight. I've never seen such big piles of bear scat. I'm sure the trail crew was pissed off. when they found it. When I left they had showed up and hung what was left in the trees, and went to work on the trail.

                                    Kim

                                    On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:26 AM, <debrabrownbear@...> wrote:

                                    I just remembered that on my first TYT/JMT section hike, when I was 17, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we actually used empty #10 cans to cook in, over open fires. We made our own jerky and hard tack, and carried Hershey's tropical chocolate bars (didn't melt) that we bought at an Army surplus shop. We saw bears almost daily. My pack was 50 lbs. And those #10 "Billie" cans were a bitch to clean. I remember them holding about 8 cups.Debra

                                  • dj_ayers
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 22, 2014
                                    • Steve Eddy
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 22, 2014

                                        Pack it gourmet is a great source for freeze dried food. Excellent selection.  You don't have to buy huge quantities.  You can either buy individual ingredients and make your own meals.  Or buy pre made meals. They also sell bags and other supplies.

                                      • Arla Hile

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 22, 2014
                                            My vote too for packitgourmet.

                                            Sent from my iPhone
                                            See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
                                            http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8