Sonora Pass to Whitney

  • pdawg893
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 16, 2014
       I have a few questions that directly relate to the JMT via a non-traditional route.  All route possibilities will be southbound.

      I have some extra time (3 weeks) this summer to do more miles than my summers past.  I'm meeting my brother and dad at woods creek bridge towards the end of the trip to finish Whitney with them.  My dad has never been to Whitney so this will be a fun way to end the trip.  I don't want to hassle with the Yosemite area permits zoo.  I'm not interested in waiting in line all night like a black friday shopper in hopes of scoring a "good deal."

      To get some extra miles under my belt I'm interested in doing 1 of these 3 routes this summer (no matter what I would like to finish on Whitney).

      1) Option 1, is to start Sonora Pass and travel the PCT to JMT to Whitney.  (anyone ever got a permit through Stanislaus National Forest for this route?)

      2) Option 2, walk up in Mammoth/Devils Post Pile and hope for a southbound walk up permit with Whitney exit and tool around on some side (day trips) hikes along the way. (side trip ideas welcome along the way)

      3) Enter through Florence/Edison in Sierra National Forest (where I can currently get a permit without any problems on 99 percent of the days I want to leave- and they are still available as of now) and take some side routes...

      4) If you had three weeks and could move at a good pace, where would you start or what would you want to see if you've already done the JMT several times before and want to see some new stuff on the way.

      I have resupply options for all of the above and am familiar and experienced on the JMT from Yosemite to Whitney....I am not familiar with Sonora Pass to Yosemite.

      I am experienced and an instructor for map and compass skills and off trail route finding so this is not a concern if the side trails are a little "tough to find" at times.

      My base weight (excluding food and fuel) is 11.5 pounds or so and I will be moving at a pace of about 15-20 miles a day (or more if I feel up to it).

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 16, 2014
            I've gotten permits a number of times from the ranger station at Pinecrest. I doubt you'll have a problem. The PCT south of Sonora Pass for the first 6 or 8 miles is one of my favorite sections I've hiked in the Sierras. The trail leaves the pass and climbs for about 2 hours, then you stay near the crest, crossing back and forth on the crest for about 6 miles. Huge patch of wild onions on the PCT in Yosemite near the junction with the Bond Pass trail. The largest I've ever seen.

            Kim

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 16, 2014

                I think you want to avoid trying to get a walk up in Mammoth / Reds (or anywhere else in INYO).  Not so much b/c it will be hard getting an entry permit but because you are subject to the Whitney Exit Quota (which is like 25 per day and 60% of those are reservable in advance) so you might be hard pressed to get a good exit date but if you have time to kill and you're moving 15-20 miles per day you may have more flexibility than is typical.

                Regarding #4, on a whim a few years ago I punched in a Happy Isles entry / and Whitney exit into my Garmin mapping program and it actually calculated a very different route than the JMT at least for the 1st half (essentially heading south through illoute and not linking up w/ JMT until VVR or so).  If you want to randomize your itinerary you might want to give it a go w/ similar software.

              • shawn peterson
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 16, 2014
                  Agreed on all accounts about Mammoth/Reds for the exit quota.  I was actually considering, as an alternative, going Reds to VVR, catching a ride from a friend at VVR to the pack station/permit office on the Kaiser pass Road and picking up a permit to go from florence to whitney....

                  I mean its an option If all else fails or falls apart.  and then I get to skip Bear Ridge ;)

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 16, 2014
                    Ha, that's an interesting hack I hadn't thought about but if you've got a friend working there that can take you out and back, you can also just enter at VVR.
                  • Kim Fishburn
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 17, 2014
                      I think you're talking about the Tahoe Yosemite Trail which has two cross country routes, One near the Mokulmne River, and the other is just before Sonora Pass. The PCT south on Sonora Pass is a good trail. The Tahoe Yosemite Trail south of highway 108 would be good except for the horse traffic. Its been a long time since I've done either one but I doubt there has been any change. The only part of the PCT I had trouble with was after descending off the Crest into Kennedy Canyon. I and a lot of other people missed the creek crossing but it was easy to find my way back to the trail. Its a flat open area so you just need to pull out the map, figure out where the trail is and head that direction. There is a good chance they may have fixed it by now.

                      Kim

                      On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                      Ha, that's an interesting hack I hadn't thought about but if you've got a friend working there that can take you out and back, you can also just enter at VVR.

                    • whcobbs
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 17, 2014

                        pdawg,

                        Maybe consider Permitting/entry at the Virginia lakes TH of the Hoover Wilderness, south connecting via PCT/Glen Aulin to JMT at Tuolumne Meadows.  These permits are easy to get ahead of time, deal by mail, now your plans are settled.  You are 1 to 2 days north of TM, hiking to JMT on maintained trails.  I was permitted to do this last August 26, all set to go,  but the Rim Fire intervened the night before my anticipated departure, closing the area. So I traveled by car, west entry into Yosemite Park, no trouble starting from Tuolumene Meadows TH and S to Whitney using the Hoover permit.  The ranger station for Hoover Wilderness is in Bridgeport, call them and they will explain the process.

                        Walt

                      • shawn peterson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 17, 2014
                          Thanks Walt...I just had a long conversation with a the manager out of the Bridgeport office about my plans and he provided some direction about starting points and he was pushing teh SOnora Pass route for the views....I'm torn but my problems are good ones.  Where to start and how much time do i want to spend...tough decisions ;)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 17, 2014
                            These are the views starting at Sonora Pass.  Just keep hitting the forward arrow.

                            http://outhiking.com/ty%2039.html

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 17, 2014
                                Another route to consider is to enter via the Hoover Wilderness outside of Bridgeport, Ca.
                                I'll  be doing that myself in August, taking off from Virginia Lakes to Tuolumne Meadows and begin the JMT there.  Although the permit is issued in the Hoover Wilderness it is good for the length of the JMT.
                                Some fine scenery can be had by leaving from Twin Lakes outside of Bridgeport over Burro Pass and Matterhorn Canyon to Tuolumne Meaodows. That would be about 40 miles  from Twin Lakes to TM.
                              • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 17, 2014
                                  I'll second the Matterhorn Cayon route from Twin Lakes to TM. Very nice scenery going this way. I did a Matterhorn Canyon loop after many years of not backpacking, and it 'hooked' me to see more!
                                • Joe MacLeish
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 17, 2014

                                    Be sure to check your topos before you go.  Twin Lakes to Matterhorn Pass is about 5,000 ft and it is steep.  If you want to bag Matterhorn its another climb (not so much).  It's not an easy first day.

                                    Joe

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                      Joe, I think we are talking about a different routes, but the same general area. You start at Twin Lakes and head past Barney Lake towards Crown Peak, over a couple of smaller passes, ( Burro and one I can't remember off the top of my head  ), down Matterhorn Canyon, and then link up with the trail heading past Glen Aulin and to TM. You can do Matterhorn Peak as a side trip, but the hike going this way is trail and not really all that bad of hiking. It is an area that sees MUCH less use than anywhere around the JMT, so the trail will be quite a bit fainter in areas, but we had no route finding issues on it. It's been many years since I've taken this route, and it's possible there is an even fainter trail now, or that maintenance has been done on it and it's easier to find?
                                    • debrabrownbear
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                        Great photos, Kim. Thanks for sharing. I live just a couple hours from Sonora Pass, and am thinking about doing a couple of 3-4 day warm-up trips around there, before my JMT section hike late this summer. Any recommendations for a couple of 3-4 day hikes? Debra
                                      • casey.cox@att.net
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                          Debra

                                          It's pretty easy to do a loop from Sonora Pass to Dorothy Lake and then over Bond Pass back to Kennedy Mdws.  From Sonora Pass to Kennedy Canyon ( have gone through K. Canyon many times the trail has always been easy to follow) then to Lake Harriet.  There are several lakes just above Lake Harriet that are off trail but easily accessible. To exit you can drop down to the Walker River (by trail) and follow it down to Leavitt Mdws.  Early season this is one of my favorite areas.  There aren't any major stream crossings to worry about.  The West Fork of the West Walker River is bridged just south of Kennedy Canyon where the P.C.T. crosses it.  The West Walker is bridged at the Leavitt Mdws. Trailhead.

                                          The trail head at Leavitt Mdws. is about 7,000 feet elevation and the trail is clear of snow for miles before the trail from Sonora Pass clears.  I did the trip from Leavitt Mdws. to Hetch Hetchy last year on May 15th  and Dorothy Pass( 9,600 ft.) was still snow covered by 3 feet plus for a mile on either side of the pass. Would expect about the same or a little less this year.  I'll be doing it as soon as they open the pass.   Leavitt Mdws. trail head is a self-registration trail head ( you can write your permit for the J.M.T.)  Even in the middle of the season you will hardly see anyone, maybe 10% of the traffic as the J.M.T.

                                          Casey
                                        • casey.cox@att.net
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                            I believe trail maintenance was done in Matterhorn Canyon during the season of 2012.  Once you drop off the pass into the canyon it would be hard to get lost even without a trail.  It's just downstream for some miles (10-12?) to the jct. with the P.C.T.

                                            Casey
                                          • Kim Fishburn

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014

                                                After a side discussion with Robert Perky I retract the below.  I went up to Matterhorn Peak on the Horsetail Canyon Trail which is not the trail over Burro Pass.  Horsetail is as noted below (straight up), Burro Pass is not.

                                                Joe

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                                  The bottom pictures on this link are from Burro Pass.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                                      Nice photos Kim! It makes me want to get back and do the Matterhorn Canyon loop again. FWIW, Benson Lake is a great swimming lake as it is warmer than most Sierra lakes and has a beach to boot!
                                                    • debrabrownbear
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                                        Thanks, Casey and Kim, for the recommended routes. I did one short trip out of Kennedy Meadows last year, and yes, the horse packers were everywhere. I'll take a look at my maps and Google Earth, and come up with something based on your suggestions. Thanks! Debra
                                                      • cehauser1
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 18, 2014
                                                          pdawg893:

                                                          I'm becoming addicted to the PCT, so personally I'd start at Sonora Pass, and take the PCT down to Mt. Whitney.  I'm planning a 2014 PCT section hike from I-80 south to Tuolumne Meadows.  Supposed to be a really beautiful area, as Kim's photos show.

                                                          However, if you want to see some new terrain as you approach Mt. Whitney, you could veer a bit west of the JMT, and walk south on roughtly parallel trails.  I'm a big fan of hot springs, so here's what I'd do:  Directly south of Red's Meadow, detour off the JMT down to Fish Creek, spend a day soaking in Iva Bell hot spring, then head up Cascade Valley and over Goodale Pass to reach VVR for a resupply. From VVR I'd walk or hitch a ride down to Mono Hot Spring and soak there for a  while, then re-join the JMT at MTR (for a third hot spring), by hiking up past Florence Lake.

                                                          Hope this helps!

                                                          Chris.