walk up permit question

  • alpinedill
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014

      Hi everyone. I have a few questions for you all. Are walk up permits for the day after you get it unless by chance they have some left for that day? If they are for the next day it sounds like I’ll need at least 2 days at the beginning of my hike to get my permit, first day travel, second day get permit, third day start hike. If I’m lucky could I walk into the office at noon to get a permit to leave that day?  I will be arriving by bus around 8:30pm my first day.

      Thanks,

      Dylan

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014
        " Are walk up permits for the day after you get it unless by chance . . . "

        Yes, you should budget a few days to hang around and get a permit, if only because you are arriving so late in the day.

        Normally, if you were able to get into the valley before the permit office close, you might be able to snag a permit to leave there and then––kind of a drag, especially if you've been in commute mode all day and then you have to get on the trail.

        Your best bet is just to get in line, early in the morning, around 3 or 4 a.m., or earlier if you can deal with being up all night. My advice would be to get into the valley, find the permit office, find the backpacker camp ground ( stop # 18 on the free shuttle ) and then maybe even walk there and back to familiarize yourself. It takes about fifteen minutes from the BC to the permit office, but you hit an intersection and a cluster of buildings and . . . it' s just good to know which way to go, in the dark.

        So you stand in that line until 11 a.m. and you might in fact score a permit to leave there and then––it might only be to LYV, or you could get a pass-thru on LYV, in which case you have to get up at least past the Half Dome Junction, before finding a camp spot.

        Note that there won't be any water between LYV and the HD junction, so you might want to fill up at LYV and plan on having some to get you through the night, if you don't get much past the HD junction.

        The other possibility is you stand around all night and into the morning, finally getting a permit, but it's for the next day.

        As long as you're solo and not picky, chances are very good you'll get a permit that first morning––this season with the poor snow, i'm betting JMTers have ample time to spread out and not all show up in late august.

        BOB SHATTUCK

      • Joe MacLeish
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014

          I'm stretching out my training and I picked up a dry area on the bottom of one foot that is cracked.  Never had it before.  What do people use for these things?

          Joe

          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014
            On the heel?

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014

              On the bottom middle right side.  Dry area is about 4 inches, crack is about 1 1/2 inches.

              Joe

              I'm stretching out my training and I picked up a dry area on the bottom of one foot that is cracked.  Never had it before.  What do people use for these things?

              Joe

            • Rick Martyn
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014
                Maybe something with lanolin?

                Rick M.

                On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Joe MacLeish <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                On the bottom middle right side.  Dry area is about 4 inches, crack is about 1 1/2 inches.

                Joe

                I'm stretching out my training and I picked up a dry area on the bottom of one foot that is cracked.  Never had it before.  What do people use for these things?

                Joe

              • Deborah Rhoton
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014
                  Joe,

                  Aquaphor (found at a local drug store) to both feet at night and cover with socks. Of course this would be even better after a good pedicure where they will exfoliate the dry dead skin.

                  Deb

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014

                    Pedicure?  Isn't that unmanly or something?

                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014

                      Aquaphor?  Ok Barbara said also for cracked fingers.  Maybe I have to try that stuff.

                      I'm stretching out my training and I picked up a dry area on the bottom of one foot that is cracked.  Never had it before.  What do people use for these things?

                      Joe

                    • Mike Mosack
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014
                        Nowadays, I think that the line of guys waiting to revoke your man-card is smaller so you should be fine.
                        Mike

                        Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 10:59 PM

                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014

                          I think I was born before they started issuing those things.  Ok I'm out except the solutions for cracked feet.  Deb, are the socks to make it not messy or are they part of the help?

                          thanks

                          Joe

                          Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 10:59 PM

                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014
                            Flexitrol Heel balm (urea at 25% concentration) works for cracked skin on the heel Don't know if it works elsewhere. There are generic products that are the same stuff

                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 7, 2014
                              To keep it from being messy and to keep the aquaphor on your feet rather than your sheets. And no, a pedicure is not at all unmanly. :-)

                              Deb

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 10:59 PM

                              Pedicure?  Isn't that unmanly or something?

                              I'm stretching out my training and I picked up a dry area on the bottom of one foot that is cracked.  Never had it before.  What do people use for these things?

                              Joe

                            • judithsmcguire
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014
                                I use vitamin E.  Just cut open a little capsule and smear it on.  Works best when you put it on before you go to bed.  I always carry a few capsules with me when travelling.  They also work well on cracks on hands.

                                Judy McGuire
                              • Inga Aksamit
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014
                                  I get cracks on my feet too and sometimes, when all other remedies have failed, I've had success with antifungal creams marketed for athletes foot. I didn't have classic athlete's foot but it healed up the cracks in no time. So keep that in mind in case the non-medicated approaches don't work.

                                  Inga Aksamit
                                  Mobile: 415-470-1812
                                  Email: Iaksamit@...
                                  Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
                                  About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
                                • Kelly Sanderson
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014

                                    Impossible to diagnose from afar, but I'm at a primary care conference now and the dermatologist reminded everyone yesterday that "dry feet" is usually a fungal infection. Scraping the scale and inspecting the prepared slide under a microscope in an office that does these things (warning: few do because it takes time) will confirm the diagnosis.

                                    You might consider some over-the-counter athlete's foot cream (terbinafine is usually a good choice) to see if you can't cure it.

                                    And while I would never trust Wikipedia out-of-hand with medical information, this entry seems accurate enough, and it has more info about prevention you might find helpful:
                                    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlete's_foot

                                    Good luck!

                                    Kelly

                                  • waywardfred
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014
                                      On the trail I carry a few ounces of Ozonated Olive Oil.
                                      I use OOO for cuts, burns, fungal infections, bacterial infections, rash, athlete's foot, bug stings, insect bites, poison oak and poison ivy.
                                      Made of pure olive oil, nothing else added but ozone gas. It does have a strong smell that you can't miss. (from the ozone)
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014
                                        Vaseline or Cocoa Butter works great!  Mountain Climbing Salve Balm too (more expensive).

                                        _

                                        On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Joe MacLeish <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                                        On the bottom middle right side.  Dry area is about 4 inches, crack is about 1 1/2 inches.

                                        Joe

                                        I'm stretching out my training and I picked up a dry area on the bottom of one foot that is cracked.  Never had it before.  What do people use for these things?

                                        Joe

                                      • Jason Schlager
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014

                                          1+ on Flexitrol Heel balm works great on my feet too.  Just put socks on so you don't get it on sheets. Usually if I have a crack from dryness it cures it in 2 days. I apply it in morning and at bed time. I follow up with a good pumice scrub to soften skin around crack.

                                          Jason

                                        • Joe MacLeish
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014

                                            Inga:

                                            Do you use a prescription cream or something off the shelf at the drug store.

                                            thanks

                                            Joe

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014

                                              Jason and a few others have suggested something including get rid of the hard dried skin (i.e. pedicure).  Does that work.  Part of my thinking on the training is toughening up the feet including building calluses.  Getting rid of dead skin seems counter intuitive.

                                              Joe

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014

                                                  I found if I don't thin the callous the crack just gets deeper to the point of bleeding.  Once the crack is repaired the callous building can start again.

                                                  Jason

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014
                                                    On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Kelly Sanderson <kelly.m.sanderson@...> wrote:
                                                    but I'm at a primary care conference now and the dermatologist reminded everyone yesterday that "dry feet" is usually a fungal infection.

                                                    Interesting. I've found that using an antifungal for my dry heels (where dead skin used to build up) has been quite helpful.

                                                    I have the dreaded big toe fungus (Onychomycosis) and I'm guessing that the big toe fungus -- almost impossible to get rid of but not a functional problem for me -- was causing the heel problem all along.

                                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychomycosis

                                                    I've been using a generic (but prescription) antifungal which keeps both the toe and heel problems under good control - ketoconazole

                                                  • Jay Jackson

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014
                                                        Same theme.  Major issue river rafting here in the SW but just about any good cream that is oil based and lacks alcohol has worked for me.  Lather it on thick and put on a pair of sacrificial socks at night.  In the desert here it is always shocking how much moisture my skin will absorb from even the heaviest of balms.  Often my hands will be dry again within 10 minutes.

                                                        We always pick up a container or two of this company and love 'em:

                                                        Phillip
                                                      • thruhiker1
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014
                                                          specifically their super salve:

                                                        • Joe MacLeish
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014

                                                            Sorry I can't/didn't individually thank everyone for the input on this subject.  I have 2  1/2 month to fix this and a bunch of suggestions.  I'll run down the list until one works and then take it with me.  As usual you guys are great.

                                                            thanks

                                                            Joe

                                                          • groundhogsteve
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 9, 2014
                                                              While we're on the subject of foot care, I had some bad toe nail fungus (two different varieties) for a number of years that I never worried about, but wanted to get rid of before my hike.  My doctor said to rub some Vicks Vapor Rub (or generic equivalent) on them twice a day, and I tried it and it worked surprisingly well.  Like any toenail fungus remedy, you have to do it for three of four months for a complete cure.  Lot better and cheaper  than taking some of those expensive drugs that are hard on your liver.