Best trip for 2 weeks?

  • sheehan1962
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hi all!
      I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and I was going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but I've heard recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite Village from there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better place to end my trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village. I have a permit for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to changing my start place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car vs. doing a shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?
      Thanks...
    • yountvlmom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
        Red's Meadow to Whitney Portal is a perfect two week hike without pushing
        it too hard. We are doing that stretch beginning Aug 23.
        Darlene

        In a message dated 4/27/2009 2:35:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        sheehan1962@... writes:

        Hi all!
        I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and I was
        going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but I've heard
        recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite Village from
        there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better place to end my
        trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village. I have a permit
        for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to changing my start
        place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car vs. doing a
        shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?
        Thanks...

        web. Get the Radio Toolbar!

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
          Two weeks?��if you're fit then do the entire trail. otherwise, you can leave your car in Yosemite Valley, right there at the happy Isles trailhead, or you can start from Tuolomne Meadows . . . there are a number of places you can bail out on the east side and thumb back to yosemite, or you can thumb back to Mammoth, spend the night and catch the morning YARTS shuttle right back to your car.

          bob

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: sheehan1962@...
          Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:34:03 +0000
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Best trip for 2 weeks?

          Hi all!

          I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and I was going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but I've heard recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite Village from there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better place to end my trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village. I have a permit for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to changing my start place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car vs. doing a shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?

          Thanks...

        • Peter Klein
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
            A contrary opinion: Why not take your precious time and spend it
            differently.
            Go in somewhere between Mammoth and Whitney and do a 2 week loop that
            isn't based on the JMT?

            You'll see more consistently wonderful scenery without the JMT crowds,
            bears,
            etc.

            Leaving from Yosemite Valley means you spend several days in crowds.
            Then you have to pass through the Mammoth area for more of the same.

            The upper Kern, Milestone Basin, Miter Basin, Deadman Canyon, Wallace Lks,
            and on an on. (these are terrific areas -- I don't mean to define a route).

            If you're intent on bagging the JMT or you like the comfort of having lots
            of other
            hikers around, then nevermind any of this.

            Pete

            On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM, sheehan1962 <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

            > Hi all!
            > I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and I was
            > going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but I've heard
            > recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite Village
            > from there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better place to
            > end my trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village. I have a
            > permit for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to changing my
            > start place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car vs. doing a
            > shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?
            > Thanks...

          • Thomas R. Conroy
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
              Some great advice!!!

              Thomas R. Conroy
              trconroy@...

              On Apr 27, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Peter Klein wrote:

              > A contrary opinion: Why not take your precious time and spend it
              > differently.
              > Go in somewhere between Mammoth and Whitney and do a 2 week loop that
              > isn't based on the JMT?
              >
              > You'll see more consistently wonderful scenery without the JMT crowds,
              > bears,
              > etc.
              >
              > Leaving from Yosemite Valley means you spend several days in crowds.
              > Then you have to pass through the Mammoth area for more of the same.
              >
              > The upper Kern, Milestone Basin, Miter Basin, Deadman Canyon,
              > Wallace Lks,
              > and on an on. (these are terrific areas -- I don't mean to define a
              > route).
              >
              > If you're intent on bagging the JMT or you like the comfort of
              > having lots
              > of other
              > hikers around, then nevermind any of this.
              >
              > Pete
              >
              > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM, sheehan1962 <sheehan1962@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > Hi all!
              > > I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and
              > I was
              > > going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but
              > I've heard
              > > recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite
              > Village
              > > from there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better
              > place to
              > > end my trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village.
              > I have a
              > > permit for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to
              > changing my
              > > start place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car
              > vs. doing a
              > > shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?
              > > Thanks...

            • richfax
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
                The only "crowds" I saw on the JMT were at the start and finish of the trip. The rest of the time we ran into about a half dozen folks per day and they were all really nice people.  I thought the scenery was consistently good throughout the entire JMT and we never saw a bear.

                ________________________________

                On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM, sheehan1962 <sheehan1962@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                > Hi all!
                > I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and I was
                > going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but I've heard
                > recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite Village
                > from there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better place to
                > end my trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village. I have a
                > permit for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to changing my
                > start place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car vs. doing a
                > shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?
                > Thanks...

              • bsquaredhoo
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
                  I'd second the motion to do your original trip but to bail out at any of the east-side trails. If you were going as far as MT Ranch, the obvious exit would be Piute Pass, which is a wonderful trip in itself (from the JMT to .. let's see, North Lake, isn't it?); Humphrey's Basin is gorgeous. It should be very easy to hitchhike from North Lake at least to Bishop, where you can catch CREST to Mammoth and YARTS back to the Valley, if you can't manage to hitch all the way.

                  I hear what people are saying about "crowds" but as someone pointed out it's all relative, and for my money the Valley-to-Tuolumne piece of the trail is one of the very best parts: views of Star King, the Cathedrals, Long Meadow.... really beautiful. Sure, there are bears, sure there are people, but what gorgeous scenery. And of course the whole Minarets area is superb, too.

                  -B2
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962" <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all!
                  > I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and I was going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but I've heard recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite Village from there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better place to end my trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village. I have a permit for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to changing my start place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car vs. doing a shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?
                  > Thanks...

                • targetdoggmechanic
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
                    In 2007 I hiked from T-meadows to Kings Canyon and exited at the woods creek trail down to cedar grove. I have done the rae lakes portion before so it wasnt a big deal. Now you could also go through the rae lakes portion and exit via bubbs creek trail. You should be able to easily do this, I had about a 10-12 mile per day pace and rested 1 day. This takes you to the west side, but it should be easy to hitch into Fresno from cedar grove and catch a bus to yosemite, then the free shuttle from happy isles to T-meadows. I never saw much of a crowd on this trip, except at Reds Meadow. If your set on the east side exit, just exit on Keasearge pass, just south of rae lakes and glenn pass. Both options easy to do in 14 days with good transportation options. I believe there is a shuttle service (pay) that you could catch at kearsearge pass TH, and of course it is easy to hitch along the 395 back to TM. A lot of folks heading the same directions and probably hikers like you!

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bsquaredhoo" <WEWilliams@...> wrote:

                    > I'd second the motion to do your original trip but to bail out at any of the east-side trails. If you were going as far as MT Ranch, the obvious exit would be Piute Pass, which is a wonderful trip in itself (from the JMT to .. let's see, North Lake, isn't it?); Humphrey's Basin is gorgeous. It should be very easy to hitchhike from North Lake at least to Bishop, where you can catch CREST to Mammoth and YARTS back to the Valley, if you can't manage to hitch all the way.
                    >
                    > I hear what people are saying about "crowds" but as someone pointed out it's all relative, and for my money the Valley-to-Tuolumne piece of the trail is one of the very best parts: views of Star King, the Cathedrals, Long Meadow.... really beautiful. Sure, there are bears, sure there are people, but what gorgeous scenery. And of course the whole Minarets area is superb, too.
                    >
                    > -B2
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962" <sheehan1962@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all!
                    > > I have 2 weeks to hike part of the trail from north to south, and I was going to start at Happy Isles and end at Muir Trail Ranch, but I've heard recently that it can be difficult to get a ride back to Yosemite Village from there. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better place to end my trip in terms of ease of getting back to Yosemite Village. I have a permit for late Aug. thru early Sept. for 2 people. I'm open to changing my start place also , if I can get a permit.I'd rather take one car vs. doing a shuttle, as I'm coming from Ashland Oregon. Any ideas?
                    > > Thanks...

                  • Kevin Aston
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 29, 2009
                      About 6 miles past Muir is Piute Pass Trail. Here are my pictures of it from 2007. http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html That gets you to the east side, about 20 miles from Bishop. The Piute Trail to get out is another 20 miles. From Muir Ranch to North Lake would take to days.

                      Life is what you make it.
                      Planning ahead is half the fun.
                      Kevin Aston www.kevinaston.com