Banner Peak

  • mauertom
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 4:50 PM
      I'm looking to bag some peaks during my July/Aug JMT hike this summer and have been intrigued by climbing Banner Peak (the class 2/3 climbing is just what I'm looking for).  It doesn't seem like many JMTers do it though (almost all the trip reports of Banner Peak I've read are from people taking 2-3 day trips just to bag Ritter/Banner), so I'm looking to see if anyone in the group has tried it while hiking the JMT.  Basically I'm asking if this can be done without having to carry crampons/ice axe/rope.  I know there's that glacier on the side, but am I missing something about this side trip that is keeping it from being more popular?  I've done ridge climbing in snow/ice in the Tetons before and other than being tough-going, I never felt in danger without crampons/ice axe.

      I'm definitely going to hit Split Mountain and Mount Muir, but it might be nice to get a peak or two in during the northern half of the trail where I can afford more side trips due the more frequent mail drops.